Contribute
Register

Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC 889 on Lion [OLD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC 889 on Lion

Im a noob, I used custom beast to get my system up and running. I have no sound though. Would I need to do edits in introduction? Thanks in advance

weisjt said:
Im a noob, I used custom beast to get my system up and running. I have no sound though. Would I need to do edits in introduction? Thanks in advance
No.

Titu said:
hw007 said:
Hiya,

Anyone try this on a gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r?

HW

Yes, and it is working!

And your using this via the graphics card to output HDMI sound?

I am confused.

HW

toleda said:
weisjt said:
No.

any advice o how to get it up and running? i am trying to use hdmi out with my hd 3000 graphics on a z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard

weisjt said:
any advice o how to get it up and running? i am trying to use hdmi out with my hd 3000 graphics on a z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard
For HD 3000 HDMI audio, the AppleHDA.kext is ready. Need to add dsdt edits, see http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31948. Change dsdt/HDEF/layout-id to 0x85 0x01 0x00 0x00 as Post 1 shows.

toleda said:
jfm75 said:
Hello, I have replaced the HDEF section with the one in the first post, but it doesn't work, I still can't hear anything. :(
It seems there is something peculiar with the MSI X58. The IOReg says audio is working. Unfortunately, I have no new suggestions at this time.

Hello, if you need more information, I could send you what you need. :cry: :cry:

Sweet! I can finally listen to music out of all my speakers.
I watched a couple of movie clips and 5.1 is working.
Only thing I couldn't output was the sub.

Btw I did this on 10.6.8

Thanks!

Can someone clear this up for me.

To get HDMI audio from the graphics card, we need a DSDT with HDEF edits?

Now I don't have that (i assume) cause i'm using a DSDT from the DSDT section.

Can someone who has similar specs post their DSDT (with HDEF edits) so I can get HDMI audio via graphics card.

If i have totally mis-understood how to get HDMI via graphics card, then I applogise, and please ignore this post.

Thanks

HW

Multi-Channel output and Audio Midi

Ok, there are a lot of people confused about surround sound and digital out. In Audio Midi, Digital Output will ALWAYS show 2ch-Xbit Integer. This is normal. As I stated on page 9, OS X always outputs in stereo. It's just how Macs work. No real Mac has ever offered multi channel analogue output (native). Any source besides movies with encoded audio (whether it's from iTunes or an iMovie/FCP project) will always be 2-ch stereo. Since the G4s, Apple has included digital out. Yay! So, for compatibility reasons, everything is in 2-ch stereo. Programs like VLC and iTunes will automatically switch to Encoded bitstream when Digital out is set to output and connected to a receiver via TosLink. You need not worry. DD and DTS will be sent via Bitstream and will be decoded correctly.

HOWEVER, a lesson (cliff notes) on multi-channel and Bitstream. 2ch-24bit is technically multi-channel. Bitstream/PCM will always be sent to the receiver in this way. When I play a DTS encoded movie and check the signal info on my receiver, it shows 2ch-24bit Bitstream. Full DTS! When I stream a movie via PS3 Media Server to my PS3, and check out the info it says 2ch-24bit. Again, full DTS.

To sum things up, please don't worry (or freak out). Test things out for yourself. I have used many ALC chipsets, and never experienced Multi-channel out problems via TosLink, regardless what Audio Midi says.

**Note: In my experience, iTunes can be real pissy when it comes to Encoded multi-channel out while playing movies rented/purchased from the iTunes store. You have to set EQ to off, take off sound check and the sound enhancer, as well as SRS iWow in order to have DD/DTS work. Otherwise you will get nothing but static. Sometimes, you will get static regardless. If you are savvy enough to get rid of the DRM from the movie, and play through VLC, DD/DTS work just fine. On a real Mac, this isn't a problem whatsoever. My iMac can play multichannel sources, whether it's through VLC or iTunes. Even HD multichannel audio FLAC/AIFF/Wave (SACD and whatnot) work great; It is a pain in the butt on a Hachintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back