Graphics
GeForce GTX 970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a brand new build that should be worlds above my old Mac Pro 3,1. However, the main game I play, World of Warcraft, is running just as it did before. With 0 addons and all settings on Ultra (2560x1440 Windowed Fullscreen) I'm only getting 27-28 fps in the Goblin starting zone. Here is my build:

i7-4790K (OC'd to 4.3 GHz)
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX OC'd
Thermaltake 1200W PSU

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 with Multibeast 7.2 and Chimera 4.1 (have not used Clover at all) and have downloaded the newest "Mac drivers" from nvidia. Using the Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 tool, I get the following (seems like a very low score for my system):
Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 08.56.44.png

What can I do to get better performance? Please let me know what information you need from me to help make a good decision.

P.S.: I also run FCP7, but that seems to be running well, as does AE and Resolve.

If you're comparing benchmarks, make sure your settings are the same as those other benchmarks. Most of the benchmarks I've seen are using 1080p resolution with the default test settings.

Hi Mermel - If you check out this thread you can run the benchmark with the same parameters as others with the 970 to see if you're getting a similar score. It takes a bit to go through the thread to find 970s but it may be interesting.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...nigine-heaven-opengl-graphics-benchmarks.html

Thanks, I'll check it out, but would still like ideas and tips on optimizing my graphics to get the best results. Given my setup, I think I should be getting more than I am.

Unfortunately the 970 isn't native for OS X so we have to rely on Nvidia's driver. In windows the 970 screams, in OS X it has it's limitations. For instance the 770 is supported natively in OS X and while it's not technically as powerful as my 970 card I get better results in the Bruce X benchmark with the 770 than the 970. YMMV

Unfortunately the 970 isn't native for OS X so we have to rely on Nvidia's driver. In windows the 970 screams, in OS X it has it's limitations. For instance the 770 is supported natively in OS X and while it's not technically as powerful as my 970 card I get better results in the Bruce X benchmark with the 770 than the 970. YMMV

That is both good and bad. It's good in the fact that nvidia may release updated drivers or Yosemite could be updated to support newer cards.

It's bad because it seems like the only way to get the most out of the card is to dual boot into W7, but I REALLY don't want to go through the whole process of reinstalling again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back