Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
9020 USFF
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770S
Graphics
HD4600
Hello! I am trying to make a Optimac ( Dell Optiplex 9020 Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) ) - I went this route due to less cost and it seemed more documented and easy because this is my first attempt at a hackintosh. - It has all compatible parts, I'm not using any extra hardware just the vanilla ultra small form factor that they have built many guides around here. So I know it's not my hardware, but I can post the specs if need be. I followed this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-radeon-rx-570-lg-4k-ips-monitor.277811/#bios to the "T". The only thing I may have messed up are the kexts and other files. I only downloaded and added their "0.6.9 OC EFI.zip" at the bottom of the page but they had several other ones available.

I'm using opencore, I had to make this with disk part in windows 10 because I do not have a mac machine. Using 8 gig usb 2.0 flash drive.

Now the problem is it is getting stuck at 2 minutes left and giving me a "pkdownloaderror error 8" error. I have tried it 3 times and once it went through without the error and rebooted several times only to wind up back at the opencore install (flash drive) screen. I also tried to boot from the drive but that gave me no OS found type of command line.

Random question: at what point do I take out the opencore flash drive?

Thanks in advance!

Put your hardware info here:

Screen Shot 16.jpg

For Motherboard: simply put in 9020 USFF

Then put in your specific CPU model. Might be the i5-4570S or similar.
Graphics should be HD4600 unless you have an i3 41x0 model instead.

Oh I'm sorry about that! I tried this a long time ago with a very old computer. It's the Dell Optiplex USFF Intel Core i7-4770S model. Thank you!

My guide doesn't use the "Online Recovery installer" method. If you're making the installation USB in Windows it's a bit more involved to make it correctly. I'd suggest you follow the guide by Feartech and just place the OC 0.6.9 EFI folder on the EFI partition after you create the USB. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-usb-installer-using-opencore.296375/ Don't do any of the Skylake specific steps in that guide.

Did you toggle recovery before downloading Catalina ? Then download the FULL Install version of Catalina ?

Screen_Shot_17.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, but one question, you mentioned not to do skylake steps. - This is confusing me: "
This setup if for a Skylake system, you will need to change a few details if you do not own a Skylake
You will need to download a copy of ProperTree from here:" - Does that mean I don't need propertree or do?

Does that mean I don't need propertree or do?
The 0.6.9 EFI folder has all that done already, you just copy/paste the EFI folder to the USB's EFI partition.
Then you must have your ethernet cable connected when attempting the install so Catalina can be downloaded.

Ok I did that and tried it a few times. Same problem. BUT I may have done this wrong: I copied the 0.6.9 EFI folder but the clover folder is still there with it's kexts/drivers/themes/tools. Do I delete that? Or move the 0.6.9 kexts into that folder? my EFI folder looks like: - BOOT CLOVER OC .DS_Store - do I still need to have that "com.apple.recovery.boot" folder in the root like with the opencore way on dortania?

OK I think I answered my own question. I see in the guide he states: "Under Windows Explorer, you should have a new drive called BOOT with a folder called EFI" "Now, important, delete the EFI folder and use the one attached in this post instead." So now my EFI folder is just the 0.6.9 stuff. I got past that and it restarted only to take me to a screen that says "macOS could not be installed on your computer" "The installer resources were not found" ??? help

What does the hard drive have to look like? I did APFS/GUID. Do I delete the clover folder and have just the EFI from 0.6.9? I think I'm at an impasse for tonight, sorry for all the posts.

EDIT: I have noticed it is also reformatting my USB drives to 196 mbs.

Last edited:
What does the hard drive have to look like? I did APFS/GUID. Do I delete the clover folder and have just the EFI from 0.6.9?
Yes, you want only the 0.6.9 OpenCore EFI folder. I tested a 0.6.9 Catalina USB installer made in Windows and it does work on my 9020 SFF desktop.

The Windows method is not very beginner friendly. Most will struggle with it for days. That's why I don't suggest newbies try that to make their installer. Since I don't know what steps you've done to create the installer or which one was done wrong, It's difficult to offer any specific advice.

I've searched for a simpler Windows based guide but have not found it yet. This is why I suggest you borrow someone's hack or Mac for 30 minutes and make the installer as shown in my guide. It is 100x easier to make the installer this way. If you don't want to do that, keep trying feartech's method and post for help in that thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back