Contribute
Register

OptiMac pk download error 8/I did something wrong I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the hidden bios settings, I was supposed to, right?

What about when the usb drive being formatted in the feartech method and being 196 mbs instead of the full 56 gigs of my usb 2.0 drive?

Would it be ok to try an earlier version of the FULL catalina install or even mojave in feartech method?

Thanks again.

Would it be ok to try an earlier version of the FULL catalina install or even mojave in feartech method?
The Recovery installer is the best approach for making the USB in Windows.

I just posted a gibMacOS Windows 10 installer guide today. Start over and follow that step by step.

Ok well I redid it and followed your directions to a T. I got a "installer resources were not found" error after it reboots. I am 95% sure the installer is correct, so that leaves BIOS settings which I am following with the first guide.

Could you help me with these questions:

I did not set up an AMT password

What about when the usb drive being formatted in the feartech method and being 196 mbs instead of the full 56 gigs of my usb 2.0 drive?

Thanks again!

Ok well I redid it and followed your directions to a T. I got a "installer resources were not found" error after it reboots. I am 95% sure the installer is correct, so that leaves BIOS settings which I am following with the first guide.

Could you help me with these questions:

Thanks again!
or an issue with your EFI....

It's ok to do them even though they're not mandatory for Catalina to install.
What about when the usb drive being formatted in the feartech method and being 196 mbs
That is just the partition with the bootloader on it. Normal. It's not the whole USB drive.
Would it be ok to try an earlier version of the FULL catalina install
As of today it's basically impossible to create the full installer in Windows when using legal download methods. I've tried it myself. Installing macOS in a VM is not allowed here so that is not an option.

Last edited:
I got a "installer resources were not found" error after it reboots.
I'll do some more testing later this evening or tomorrow to see if I can reproduce the error you get.

Thanks for the replies.

As of today it's basically impossible to create the full installer in Windows when using legal download methods. I've tried it myself
No, I was referring to this:
Now type in the number corresponding to FULL INSTALL (in this case its 15.) Press enter/return
In the command prompt where you pick your OS version there is a few more options other than catalina. Could I pick an earlier version of catalina? (Not the number 15 one like in the example, if that makes sense).

EDIT: I looked at the OC 0.6.9 file and realized there is also a _MACOSX folder. What do I do with that? It also has it's own kexts etc. - Thanks trs96

Last edited:
Just got done installing Catalina on my 9020 SFF with the Windows made USB and it worked completely unattended. Never even touched the keyboard or mouse. You can see my Sabrent External USB mounted. I think that your internet connection may be failing during the install or you need to switch the installer USB to a new port. Try a USB 2.0 on the back panel. Look into these issues and report back.

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 4.29.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 6.39.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Ok I tried 3 of the ports on the back. I got excited because I found a mistake I made. In the makeinstall i was just selecting the usb drive by putting in "2" but I also needed to select opencore install or "2o". This still did not make a difference. I'm sure my ethernet is working. For my sanity, here is my methodology of trying to install this:

1) I updated the firmware to A25 of my USFF Optiplex 9020.
2) changed bios setting (and hidden bios settings)

3) Ran everything in gibmacos then deleted that efi partition and on the usb drive I'm copy/pasting ONLY the EFI folder from the root of 0.6.9 OC EFI.zip into the root of the USB drive now labeled BOOT
4) eject and put in usb slot of USFF computer

5) I tried both selecting the usb drive from F12 boot menu and just letting it boot. - When I select it from F12 menu I go to install macOS and this either runs and displays the apple logo then errors, OR goes to the install macOS menu. Letting it just boot similarly goes to apple screen then errors.
6) When I get to the install macOS screen I erase the whole disk and put in APFS format and GUID and name it
7) I go back to reinstall in the menu and start the install process. This either gives me a error at 2 minutes left about "pkdownloadError error 8" OR restarts, goes to apple logo and errors again. - I think if the ethernet was really not working it would have told me right at the start, because I have dealt with that before.

This is what my usb drive looks like:

usb1.PNG

usb2.PNG

usb3.PNG

This computer does have wifi but maybe theres a kext missing or something, I don't think I can access that from macOS install menu.

I have to take a break from this for awhile because I'm going crazy (O.O)

Thank you for your time! I'll be back.

This is what my usb drive looks like:

usb1.PNG

usb2.PNG

The date on your EFI folder should not be from May 29th of 2021 if you just made your USB installer recently. It looks like you aren't using my OC 0.6.9 EFI folder which would explain why it's not working.

Here's how mine looks when made today. 6/26/2022.

Boot F.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back