Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm running Mojave (10.14.6) on this build: (BigClue's Tower).
Problem: Inserting a disc does not cause it to appear on the desktop.

What's working:
  • The optical drive appears in the "About this Mac" / "System Report" under both "Disc Burning" as well as under "SATA/SATA Express" (where it says "Intel 10 Series Chipset" > "HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40")
  • The eject button on my extended keyboard does make the tray eject and retract.
  • The drive is listed in the BIOS as one of the boot options (not sure if this works, though).
I'm wondering if there is a kext or something that I'm missing that is preventing Mac OS Mojave from recognizing when a disk is inserted?

kexts installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.14:
  • AppleALC
  • FakeSMC, FaceSMC_(ACPI,CPU,GPU,LPC,SMM)Sensors
  • IntelMausi
  • Lilu
  • SMC(BatteryManager,LightSensor,Processor,SuperIO)
  • USBInjectAll
  • VirtualSMC
  • WhateverGreen

Last edited:
dows it work in any other operating system or can you boot from the drive? it looks like it just cannot read the disc you inserted.

You didn't specify if you inserted blank media or a commercial disc. Back in the 90s, there was a lot of trouble with recordable media and what wavelength your laser was in your optical drive. There were recordable blue discs, gold discs, and other things like + and - that were incompatible.

Also check your finder preferences, as you can turn on and off what appears on your desktop, make sure "CD's, DVDs, and iPods" is checked.

You didn't specify if you inserted blank media or a commercial disc. Back in the 90s, there was a lot of trouble with recordable media and what wavelength your laser was in your optical drive. There were recordable blue discs, gold discs, and other things like + and - that were incompatible.

Also check your finder preferences, as you can turn on and off what appears on your desktop, make sure "CD's, DVDs, and iPods" is checked.

Thanks for the reply.

• Finder preferences is set to show "CDs, DVDs and iPods".
  • I've tried blank DVDs as well as commercial discs like software, movies, etc., and nothing shows up.
I recently had a problem where my SD cards wouldn't show up on the desktop, and I had to add some kexts to fix that. I was wondering if I'm missing something similar for optical drives to work.

There should not be a kext that I know of for drive burning. Have you tried other components to verify anything? Swap with an older optical drive? Tried the drive on another computer (win or mac)? What types of blank media have you tried to see if you get a prompt for an 'unformatted volume'?

Amazon reviews are primarily positive, mfr site is more mixed. https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH14NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

Is it new, and have you burned with it in the past on any platform?

There should not be a kext that I know of for drive burning. Have you tried other components to verify anything? Swap with an older optical drive? Tried the drive on another computer (win or mac)? What types of blank media have you tried to see if you get a prompt for an 'unformatted volume'?

Amazon reviews are primarily positive, mfr site is more mixed. https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH14NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

Is it new, and have you burned with it in the past on any platform?
It was new when I put it in my Hackintosh a couple of years ago. It worked for a while originally. I'll put it in another machine to see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back