i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all...

I'm going to dive into my second Hack build and would appreciate some input on the components I've selected for the build before I pull the trigger.

I'm also going to be modding a G5 case for this build.

My current build has served me well for almost 10 years, so it's time.

Here is my list of potential components:

Mobo:
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
Amazon

CPU:
Intel Core i7-9700K
Amazon

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon 11265-05-20G PULSE RX 580 8GB
Amazon

RAM:
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Amazon

PSU:
Corsair RMX Series, RM750x
Amazon

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D15S, Premium Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan

Amazon

Could use suggestions for SSD
Could use suggestions for Monitors - Dual Monitor set up.

Thinking about two of these Monitors:
LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS Monitor with FreeSync
Amazon

Thank you in advance for any replies.

If you kept your last one 10 years, I think you should get onto the new socket. Even if it is more experimental at the moment, as a hackintosh.

The support for Comet Lake was added in 10.15.5, if that makes a difference.

If you kept your last one 10 years, I think you should get onto the new socket. Even if it is more experimental at the moment, as a hackintosh.

The support for Comet Lake was added in 10.15.5, if that makes a difference.

I did think about modeling my new one after this build. Close to it anyway... same mobo, i7 instead of i5
10th gen build

Not sure how much advantage it would be to go with the "latest / greatest"
I heard the 10th gen Intels aren't much of a stretch beyond the 9th gens.

Any other convincing thoughts as to why get into the new socket?

I'm also going to use Open Core with this build and start with Catalina. Wanna make this a dual boot machine as well with Windows 10.

I did think about modeling my new one after this build. Close to it anyway... same mobo, i7 instead of i5
10th gen build

Not sure how much advantage it would be to go with the "latest / greatest"
I heard the 10th gen Intels aren't much of a stretch beyond the 9th gens.

Any other convincing thoughts as to why get into the new socket?

I'm also going to use Open Core with this build and start with Catalina. Wanna make this a dual boot machine as well with Windows 10.

I agree that there is no significant advantage going with the 10th generation instead of the 9th generation.

I use a Z390 motherboard myself and it can also run older versions of MacOS (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave) if necessary.

I would say go with the Z390 build.

Plus, I have the RX 580 in my current machine running Mojave.
I'll use this one to set up the new rig using the on-board graphics on the Z390.

Once I got it running, then I'll swap the RX 580 into it, put my old GFX card into my current machine and run High Sierra on it, since my old card isn't Metal capable.

Thanks for putting your opinion in @Jamesbond007

Thank you @Humanate and @kylec for your input as well... much appreciated.

What do you guys think of my monitor(s) selection? I'll use this machine as my workstation for running my bar (marketing, creating advertisements, and gaming (primarily on Windows 10 boot), perhaps as a media server)

I had the same mobo as your old one, and currently have this new mobo you intend to buy, same video card and similar LG monitor. I would suggest adding a fenvi wifi/bluetooth adapter , I love using my iPad as a second monitor using the side car feature. The mobo works flawlessly for me and let me know if you want me to share my EFI folder. I am using Clover and plan on staying on Catalina for a while because I use VMware fusion and hate having to buy a new license every time there is a new OS release. I opted for the I3 -9100 cpu which pairs well with this video card for dual booting into windows for my kids to play some pc games. For serious gaming the RX 580 would bottleneck the performance of the I7 you intend to buy. Also love the USB-c port on motherboard. I use it to charge my iPad Pro. Good Luck and enjoy your new Hack!

Thank you for the information @penrow1!

I opted for the I3 -9100 cpu which pairs well with this video card for dual booting into windows for my kids to play some pc games. For serious gaming the RX 580 would bottleneck the performance of the I7 you intend to buy.

In regard to your comment on the i7... you think I'm "overkilling" on processor power with the RX 580? I wouldn't say I'm a "serious gamer," but I am primarily wanting a Windows 10 boot for gaming.

So perhaps an i5 would provide enough processor power then?

I will be using the Mac OS for Photoshop, Illustrator, some Audio and perhaps Video editing too... but that's also GFX dependent... I love a system that moves almost as fast as I can think, that's why I was going with i7. I didn't realize the RX 580 wasn't up to par with that processor.

I am using Clover and plan on staying on Catalina for a while because I use VMware fusion and hate having to buy a new license every time there is a new OS release.

I'm not familiar with VMware Fusion, as I've never had a Windows OS or computer (I've only owned Macs and a Hack lol)... I was going to just run Windows 10 on a completely separate SSD or NVMe drive.

The mobo works flawlessly for me and let me know if you want me to share my EFI folder.

My intention is to move to Opencore for this build... but if have have issue and can't get it going with Opencore, I will certainly appreciate your offer to share your EFI folder for Clover... Thank you!

I had the same mobo as your old one, and currently have this new mobo you intend to buy, same video card and similar LG monitor. I would suggest adding a fenvi wifi/bluetooth adapter , I love using my iPad as a second monitor using the side car feature.

I was intending on buying 2 of those LG monitors, as I've had dual monitor set ups for over a decade... can't go back to single monitor... Spoiled. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back