Asus ROG Strix Z370G WiFi
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi guys,
my Hackintosh is working great for more than a 1.5 year. Anyway, some time ago I have switched from RX 480 to Vega 56. It works great with VGTab fix, but I had to disable CSM as I was having notorious stretched screen on Clover boot.

But that is the problem, as I have noticed lately. When I quit some 3D Game like Tropico or CS:GO (any OpenGL) (or try to command - Tab to other app), I get a black screen and no signal.

I correctly guessed it might be due to CSM, so I have enabled it back again and well, switching from game back to Finder or other app works fine.
But obviously, I get stretched screen during Clover boot.

How to have both like I did with RX 480? I already tried to change ports, also CSMVideoDXE, Load VBIOS, Patch VBIOS – all the same, stretched screen…

GPU: Powercolor Vega 56 Red Dragon, macOS 10.14.3 (latest update), 4k LG 27U69 display connected via DP, Z370 Asus Rog Strig Z370G WiFi (same as Pastrychef).

Obviously, Whatevergreen is installed. I'm no newbie regarding Macs or clean install of Hackintosh, but I can't find an answer to this anywhere.

Thanks

Hi guys,
my Hackintosh is working great for more than a 1.5 year. Anyway, some time ago I have switched from RX 480 to Vega 56. It works great with VGTab fix, but I had to disable CSM as I was having notorious stretched screen on Clover boot.

But that is the problem, as I have noticed lately. When I quit some 3D Game like Tropico or CS:GO (any OpenGL) (or try to command - Tab to other app), I get a black screen and no signal.

I correctly guessed it might be due to CSM, so I have enabled it back again and well, switching from game back to Finder or other app works fine.
But obviously, I get stretched screen during Clover boot.

How to have both like I did with RX 480? I already tried to change ports, also CSMVideoDXE, Load VBIOS, Patch VBIOS – all the same, stretched screen…

GPU: Powercolor Vega 56 Red Dragon, macOS 10.14.3 (latest update), 4k LG 27U69 display connected via DP, Z370 Asus Rog Strig Z370G WiFi (same as Pastrychef).

Obviously, Whatevergreen is installed. I'm no newbie regarding Macs or clean install of Hackintosh, but I can't find an answer to this anywhere.

Thanks

Wow. Interesting.

I haven't really done much gaming in macOS so I haven't seen this happen.

Do you get the same no video issue if you run Unigine Heaven or Valley? Both are OpenGL based.

Yes, when I run them in full screen. Seems like monitor is not able to get proper signal without CSM. Funny enough RX 480 worked just fine, even with CSM enabled I got correct resolution under same conditions.

Well guess if there is no solution I would have to accept the stretched screen in Clover. Something which I really hate as a guy with touch to every detail but well…

I don't spend my computer time in Clover but in OS anyway…

Yes, when I run them in full screen. Seems like monitor is not able to get proper signal without CSM. Funny enough RX 480 worked just fine, even with CSM enabled I got correct resolution under same conditions.

Well guess if there is no solution I would have to accept the stretched screen in Clover. Something which I really hate as a guy with touch to every detail but well…

I don't spend my computer time in Clover but in OS anyway…

I'm currently running some stuff on my system and can't afford a crash. It should be done in a few hours and I'll test Heaven and Valley in full screen to see if I can reproduce your issue.

AFAIK you have reference card so it might work…
I have reflashed BIOS with Sapphire Nitro one but that shouldn't matter, it's same **** from different vendor. And under Windows it works just fine regardless of CSM settings.

Well, Valley works fine even with CSM disabled. Tropico and CS:Go are both Steam based and those games are made for macOs with some compatibility layer library like some Wine spin off. Might that be problem? Investigating.

Ok, when I checked "Open in Low Resolution" and "Prevent App Nap" in Get Info panel of Tropico, I still can't quit game via menu, but at least I can switch back to Finder and quit it via Dock. At least something. Same for CS:Go.
Obviously, with CSM disabled. I can live with that. Seems like Steam games only specific problem.

Ok, when I checked "Open in Low Resolution" and "Prevent App Nap" in Get Info panel of Tropico, I still can't quit game via menu, but at least I can switch back to Finder and quit it via Dock. At least something. Same for CS:Go.
Obviously, with CSM disabled. I can live with that. Seems like Steam games only specific problem.

I just tested both Heaven and Valley in full screen with CSM disabled and did not get any black screen issues. I don't have steam installed on here so I'll have to test that a little later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back