Contribute
Register

OpenEMU: Strict anti-hackintosh

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
So today using my hackintosh I to try to play some old school games and macOS has one the best all in one emulators for this task. But it seems that software, OpenEMU, is strictly against hackintoshs for some reason. The worst part is the programs run and your game will start but you cannot input any control. It even states on its input troubleshooting page in bold(https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/wiki/Troubleshooting:-Input-problems) "OpenEmu running on non-Apple hardware aka "Hackintosh" is strictly unsupported." I have no idea why they would take this approach but they did.

So given the program is open source i was wondering if anyone was so inclined to remove this check or figure out how it operates so it can be patched?

Motherboard
MSI H81i
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
RX 580
Unsupported means if it doesn't work as expected there is no support. There is no kill switch for non-apple hardware hidden in the code.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Ok that makes sense but what is different between a hackintosh and a normal mac that would cause no input to be registered? It would have to be something involving IOKit i assume. This software will even allow you to map out your controller or keyboard keys showing input is being regestered but once an emulation starts no controls

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD530 + GTX 950m 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
Ok that makes sense but what is different between a hackintosh and a normal mac that would cause no input to be registered? It would have to be something involving IOKit i assume. This software will even allow you to map out your controller or keyboard keys showing input is being regestered but once an emulation starts no controls
strange, it works on my laptop hack

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
ok so its not hackintoshs? so it must be either my hardware or something I've installed
maybe. not sure what could be different

i haven't tried a controller, only the keyboard, played a few games, worked fine

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-Clover
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
yea keyboard or controller input won't register in game but registers just fine one the controller mapping screen. it just sucks because i can't ask the devs for help
not sure on how to help you but have you tried an apple keyboard?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170mx Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
It doesn't work on my real iMac 11,1 either. Controls don't work. So maybe it has something to do with the system definition you are using.