Contribute
Register

OpenCore USB won't boot at after updating Kexts, laptop only boots off of SSD now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Zenbook UX305FA
CPU
Intel Core M-5Y10c
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 5300
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently successfully booted into Catalina 10.15.7 on my Asus Zenbook UX305FA, and had moved my OpenCore from the USB onto the SSD in order to get the laptop to boot without the USB. I realized that I may have done so too early, as the display backlight and audio were not functioning, and the trackpad gestures and keyboard function keys were only partially functional.

I had just removed ApplePS2SmartTrackPad.kext as I already have VoodooPS2Controller.kext to try to see if that would fix my trackpad functionality, and I also added an "alcid=3" in the boot-args of the config.plist to try to get my audio working. I updated my config.plist using ProperTree, and shutdown my laptop.

I change the BIOS boot drive to the UEFI option of my USB, and save changes. The Asus splash screen shows up as usual, and OpenCore starts, and I am shown the boot picker. I pick the non recovery USB option (one without (dmg)) and the messages
OCM: Failed to start image - Already started
BS: Failed to start OpenCore image - Already started
Halting at critical error
are shown. At which point, the laptop does not do anything more, and I can only force it to shutdown to go back into the BIOS to change the boot option back to the SSD UEFI, which it successfully boots without any problems.
I really want to get my laptop to or close to full functionality, though I can't as I cannot update the Kexts at all with the USB not booting. Could anyone tell me what I've done wrong, or what I am doing wrong? I've attached the log to the attempt, as well as my EFI folder which includes my config.plist and Kexts folder. Thanks in advance!
(I wasn't sure where to post, so I've posted this in Hardware Troubleshooting as well. Sorry for posting in multiple forums! If I could get help in deleting the appropriate post and keeping the post in the correct forum, thanks!)

Attachments

• opencore-2021-07-02-022534.txt
    256 KB · Views: 54
  • EFI Upload.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I recently successfully booted into Catalina 10.15.7 on my Asus Zenbook UX305FA, and had moved my OpenCore from the USB onto the SSD in order to get the laptop to boot without the USB. I realized that I may have done so too early, as the display backlight and audio were not functioning, and the trackpad gestures and keyboard function keys were only partially functional.

I had just removed ApplePS2SmartTrackPad.kext as I already have VoodooPS2Controller.kext to try to see if that would fix my trackpad functionality, and I also added an "alcid=3" in the boot-args of the config.plist to try to get my audio working. I updated my config.plist using ProperTree, and shutdown my laptop.

I change the BIOS boot drive to the UEFI option of my USB, and save changes. The Asus splash screen shows up as usual, and OpenCore starts, and I am shown the boot picker. I pick the non recovery USB option (one without (dmg)) and the messages
are shown. At which point, the laptop does not do anything more, and I can only force it to shutdown to go back into the BIOS to change the boot option back to the SSD UEFI, which it successfully boots without any problems.
I really want to get my laptop to or close to full functionality, though I can't as I cannot update the Kexts at all with the USB not booting. Could anyone tell me what I've done wrong, or what I am doing wrong? I've attached the log to the attempt, as well as my EFI folder which includes my config.plist and Kexts folder. Thanks in advance!
(I wasn't sure where to post, so I've posted this in Hardware Troubleshooting as well. Sorry for posting in multiple forums! If I could get help in deleting the appropriate post and keeping the post in the correct forum, thanks!)
i have moved your post to laptop support

reset nvram when making any changes to your efi

i have moved your post to laptop support

reset nvram when making any changes to your efi
thanks for moving my post! I have been resetting the NVRAM when trying to load my updated EFIs off of my USB, but the message
just keeps appearing every time, and nothing else is shown :(

I've read this too, although I no longer have Windows on my SSD, so I am not sure if the same applies to my case?
if your machine boots fine from your hard drive, then copy the efi from the hard drive to the usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back