Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 7573 (Opencore)
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
HELP! Please!

I've been working on a hacktoshing a Dell 7573 for almost 3 weeks now, and still can't get to the installer screen. The boot log is stopping at:
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

I've Googled the heck out of this, and nothing has worked. Tried so far:
  • Fake EC (SSDT-EC)
  • Fake EC with hook to real ECDV (SSDT-EC with commented out section enabled and changed to match real EC)
  • ECDV->EC patch
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • "npci=0x2000" debug arg (no quotes)
  • XhciPortLimit quirk Yes/No
  • "-uia_exclude_ss uia_include=HS01,HS02" debug args (no quotes)
  • 2 different USB 2 sticks, and one USB 3 stick
    • I tried all 3 ports with each stick
  • USB 2 stick in USB 2 hub (laptop only has USB 3 ports)
  • USB 3 stick in USB 2 hub
  • almost every combination of above
Note: When using SSDT-EC with the hook uncommented the boot freezes at a different message, but in the ACPI:SSDT load section I get:
ACPI Error: [_STA] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20160930/dswload-462)
ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20160930/psobject-310)
ACPI Exception: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, (SSDT: SsdtEC) while loading table (20160930/tbxfload-319)

Here's the other error message when booting freezes:
apfs_module_start:1689: load: com.apple.filesystems.apfs, v1412.101.1, apfs-1412.101.1 2020/03/06
Oddly, booting freezes at the same point if I don't patch ECDV->EC or have a fake EC at all.

Booting will not progress past either error message no matter how long I wait.

As much as I don't want to, I'm ready to abandon Opencore and go back to Clover, but I know that's not the future of Hackintoshes.

Any help is appreciated before I let this new laptop go play in traffic on a major highway.

A little background on how I finally got the above error message. For the longest time the screen would freeze at roughly the same 5 or 6 lines in the boot sequence. I figured there was some type of race condition among the threads and the real culprit was probably not being shown. I added cpus=1 to the boot args and turned off Hyperthreading in the BIOS to reduce the number of active threads. That's when I first saw the "Waiting on..." error message. I have since changed the boot_args to cpus=2 and got the same. At cpus=4 the semi-random freeze location returns. Here are 2 screenshots. The first is the error message, and the second is the semi-random freeze location.

Consistent error message with cpus=2 and hyperthreading off:
20200427_165127.jpg

Semi-random freeze screenshot:
20200425_080349.jpg

Zipped EFI below. I left all the different SSDTs and kexts I tried in their folders. You can see what's enabled in by looking at the config.plist. Most things EC or USB related that are disabled have been tried multiple times in various combinations.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I'm having the same issue as you trying to switch from Clover to OpenCore.

On my Asus Skylake desktop, I was able to install Catalina 10.15.4 through OpenCore. After much OpenCore careful reading, the installer booted fine right on the very first try, and has been booting fine into the desktop. I only use 4 SSDTs + some kexts for my Asus desktop.

But, on my Asus Skylake laptop, it's a different story. I can't even boot the Catalina installer. I've been having random freezes at different random places in the boot process like you. I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

In case you're still interested, I've finally solved my non-booting Catalina OpenCore installer on my Asus laptop. It was always stalling at random places during verbose boot.

For me, the trick was to enable ReleaseUsbOwnership. It's in UEFI -> Quirks -> ReleaseUsbOwnership

Without that, nothing in the world can get me past verbose boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back