RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Guide
For those interested here is a quick guide for Ryzen that should take you roughly 15-30 minutes instead of hours or days. All necessary files are linked. However if you want to get a good grasp on everything that is happening feel free to follow the original guide. The reason I created this guide was the original guide seemed a bit complicated and ended up in standard settings for most users. So my config.plist is attached with all necessary Ryzen entries added. There was also a lot of unnecessary clicking through to get to download links so I have streamlined that a bit.

You will need
  • a 16GB USB drive (8GB won't be enough for Catalina in my tests. Not sure about Mojave)
  • a Mac - or Hackintosh (for Windows see this page from the guide it will require that you have internet during the install)
  • a blank drive (such as an SSD) to install to

Step 1
Download OpenCore here

Find the EFI folder. Download and drag the attached config.plist into EFI/OC. OC stands for OpenCore (instead of Clover). It has the necessary additions for Ryzen including replacing the Kernel Patch added under Kernel>Patch.

Step 2
Open the OC folder and now put these files in your Drivers folder. Each item is a link to the download:
  • HfsPlus.efi
  • OpenRuntime.efi (comes with OpenCore you downloaded in Step 1)
Step 3
These in your Kexts folder:
  • AppleALC.kext
  • Lilu.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext If you aren't using Realtek Gigabit LAN here's some quick links for Intel, Atheros and Realtek 2.5g (you will need to make an Insanelymac account to download). Google your motherboard and go to your manufacturer page to find out what your ethernet/LAN is. You will have to to change the <dict> entry simply open config.plist in text edit and change the name to the kext you are using.
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.57.42 pm.png

Step 4
And this (or these) in your ACPI folder:
  • SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
  • SSDT-CPUR.aml (if using A550 or A520 motherboard) if not using those you will have to remove the <dict> entry from the config.plist, follow a similar method as above, open it in text edit it is right at the top. Then save.
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.57.56 pm.png

Delete what is in blue if you do NOT have a B550 or A520 motherboard i.e. You have X570 or B450 etc.

44UszGw.png

Likewise if you are NOT using A520 or B550 find <key>SetupVirtualMap</key in config.plist and make this setting true.

⌘ + S save

Step 5
You will need to generate a serial number for your build. Download GenSMBIOS.
Run GenSMBIOS.command.
Type 1 and then press enter to download the Mac serials.
Now Type 3 and then press enter.
Then Type iMacPro1,1 1 and press enter.
You will get a window that looks like this

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.48.41 am.png

Now copy your info to your config.plist. You won't need to change the product name.

Like before open it in Text edit. Command Find iMac or <key>Generic</key>. Now copy and paste your info from the Terminal to your config.plist

Serial to SystemSerialNumber.
Board Serial to MLB.
SmUUID to SystemUUID.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.01.10 am.png

⌘ + S and that's all you will be seeing of your config.plist

Step 6
Now download and create your Mac OS USB installer. Apple has the downloads listed here
At least 12GB required so a 16GB USB. 8GB won't work for Catalina at least it didn't for me.

Open Terminal
The command from Apple's guide is
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Where you can delete /Volumes/MyVolume and drag and drop your install USB to the Terminal window

Step 6.2
Mount your installer's EFI partition using MountEFI (Double click MOUNTEFI.command)

Choose the number of your USB installer drive to mount its EFI partition.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.42.05 pm.png

Step 7
Copy the EFI folder from the OpenCore folder you downloaded (with all of your new files in it) into the EFI partition you just mounted.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.45.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.46.36 pm.png

Your EFI drive should look like this in the end:
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.06.17 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.23.12 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.23.23 pm.png

Don't worry if you have more .efi files than pictured here. Most of them are unnecessary for initial install but will come in handy later. Delete them if you have problems but remember you should have HfsPlus.efi and OpenRuntime.efi to boot.

Step 8

The original guide says to disable these settings in BIOS. Don't worry if you can't find them all.
  • Fast Boot (might be optional)
  • Secure Boot (might be optional)
  • Serial/COM Port (I couldn't find this option)
  • Parallel Port (I couldn't find this option)
  • Compatibility Support Module (this one is important)
Now press F12 or whatever key to boot using USB and select UEFI of your boot drive. Then select the Mac OS installer in the OpenCore menu. Go through the necessary steps to Install Mac OS. If you are lucky and chose your ethernet kext correctly internet should be working at the end.

Step 9
Once installed repeat the steps you used to mount and copy the files to the EFI partition for the USB installer for your main boot drive so you can boot without the USB. Mount both your installer and boot drive using MOUNTEFI.command and copy it from the EFI partion of the USB folder.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.06.38 am.png

And soon enough you should have Mac OS installed on your Ryzen system.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.29.49 am.png

If sound is not working remember to change your audio device in System Preferences. As far as I have seen AppleALC should work for most if not all Ryzen motherboards.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.03.27 am.png

Once successfully booted you can delete -v, debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 from your bootargs in the config.plist. Command find <key>boot-args</key> and you will see the entries there.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.49.42 pm.png

You need alcid=1 for sound and npci=0x2000 unless you have Above4GDecoding enabled in the BIOS which I couldn't find. Above4GDecoding can mess with LAN drivers in Windows so I would keep it disabled it if it is giving you problems. Also add agdpmod=pikera for Big Sur if you get a black screen. Without this I couldn't boot. I believe it gets graphics working.

If you are on Big Sur and stuck on the Apple Logo make sure you set these in config.plist:
Disable
<key>AppleDebug</key>
<false/>
<key>ApplePanic</key>
<false/>

Enable
<key>PanicNoKextDump</key>
<true/>

And here is a Patch to fix Adobe applications crashing.

For everything else see the original guide on GitHub.

If all goes well and internet is working then you can use the rest of the original guide to check out other possible features such as boot options using icons with opencanopy.efi. If all else fails you can always fall back to the original guide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.29.49 am.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 426
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.33.28 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.33.28 pm.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.31.34 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.31.34 pm.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.32.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.32.27 pm.png
    69 KB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.56.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.56.41 pm.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.35.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 11.35.08 pm.png
    470.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.40.03 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.40.03 am.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.48.41 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.48.41 am.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 296
  • config.plist
    42.5 KB · Views: 967
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.29.49 am.png
    423.8 KB · Views: 460
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext.zip
    141.9 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
hi can you share your efi?

You will still need to generate serial number (Step 5). Instructions are included in the zip.

Hey man, thanks a bunch for this thread. I have the exact same motherboard so it saves a lot of time with kexts and stuff. Though I have a problem. I can't even get it to boot to the installation screen. It gets stuck at #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] 2021-01-27T21:11:56

I'm sure I followed all your instructions perfectly besides the RealtekRTL8111.kext since the link you provided doesn't seem to work for me.

Before this problem, I had an error about NVMeFix kext or something, but then I saw the picture you posted with that kext so I proceeded to download that as well.

I'm a beginner at this Hackintosh stuff so I apologize if I seem dumb about it. Also, I'm trying to install Big Sur instead of Catalina. Could that be the cause of the problem?

If it helps, here is a picture of my screen where it gets stuck.

**UPDATE**

I ended up using the EFI that you provided swy680614 and I got to the Apple logo but am now just stuck there. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1611757464584.png
    1611757464584.png
    14 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
So I went ahead and made a new Big Sur installation on Open Core from scratch with the latest version of open core and the latest versions of the kexts and it is working now.

I needed the boot arg agdpmod=pikera and got rid of all other boot args except for alcid=1 as I found the enable above 4G encoding in BIOS option thus not requiring npci=0x2000.

Disable all debug options e.g.

<key>AppleDebug</key>
<false/>
<key>ApplePanic</key>
<false/>

Enable
<true/>

edit: went back to using npci=0x2000 because above 4G decoding seems to mess with windows LAN driver

Last edited:
Hi, great post (which I'm hoping to follow) I tried reading the original and just got lost, its great the way you have streamlined it. Its been a while since I built my first Mackintosh and I had plenty of issues then. Wonder if you could give me a little advice? Do you think I should use a newer version of OC or the one you linked to, will this work with ASUS B550? Also in your kext downloads do I put the extra folders in, e.g. VirtualSMC has dsym, kexts and tools. tools and kexts have their relative folders, but the dsym?
Do you know why genSMBIOS would give this error:
Gathering latest macserial info...
- Gathering info from OpenCorePkg...
Error checking for updates (network issue)
Sorry for so many questions, I feel like a beginner again.

Just put the .kext file in the kexts folder that's all you need. The tools folder is for .efi files which are Tools like OpenShell.efi. To boot you don't actually need anything in the OC/Tools folder.

Use the latest version of all the files you can. I will update the guide so it links to the Github page rather than the direct download

I believe you don't actually need to put a serial in to boot so you can skip that step (step 5) until it is working again (it requires internet).

You EFI/OC folder should look like this screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 4.15.06 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 4.15.06 pm.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 166
Just put the .kext file in the kexts folder that's all you need. The tools folder is for .efi files which are Tools like OpenShell.efi. To boot you don't actually need anything in the OC/Tools folder.

Use the latest version of all the files you can. I will update the guide so it links to the Github page rather than the direct download

I believe you don't actually need to put a serial in to boot so you can skip that step (step 5) until it is working again (it requires internet).

You EFI/OC folder should look like this screenshot.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I kind of guessed about the kext files.
I was able to get the gensmbios to work in windows so got the serials needed.
I used your altered plist and oc download and was able to get the USB to boot and format my m.2 drive then it froze in the installer.
I now realise the samsung m.2 drives are an issue (my fault for not doing more reading and my gtx 1060 will never work either with Catalina). I bought a WD m.2 and now deciding whether I install High Sierra and maybe try and get the gtx to work or buy a cheap nvidia card that will work. Can't affard an AMD card even if you could get hold of one.
I decided to stop trying to shortcut to the end so went and downloaded OpenCore-0.6.9 and worked through the whole build process (took a good while just as you said but it helped me understand a bit more). Now I get into the inslaller and it freezes which is a known issue with the NullCPUPowerManagement, but again I've gotten out of my depth, in the later OC release the NullCPUPowerManagement is in quirks and I need to enable DummyPowerManagement under Kernel -> Emulate. Thats where I'm at. edit: I took a guess at 'copy and paste' in ProperTree from one folder to the other and it worked. I was able to install Catalina and get it to boot on its own, now post install issues to fix.
Here's my efi/oc folder, there's a lot more drivers and kexts already in the later release.
efi-oc-folder.png

Thanks again for your help.

#

Last edited:
Hi.Thanks for this. The original guide was pretty daunting. I get as far as the first apple logo boot screen and it gets stuck at about 95%? Could you tell me why that is.Tried everything.

Ryzen 3600
Asus A520m-k
Asus GT710

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are on Big Sur and stuck on the Apple Logo make sure you set these in config.plist:
Disable
<key>AppleDebug</key>
<false/>
<key>ApplePanic</key>
<false/>

Enable
<true/>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back