Contribute
Register

OpenCore locks out BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably best to file a bug report with OC devs I guess, with a complete log file. Just checked the bug tracker, and no one has reported this issue...
I think it's slightly unfair to say its a bad feature if no one has told the devs that it's broken, especially if only on some "older" motherboards (not that Z97 is that old) which the devs themselves probably don't use anymore.
FYI, I filed a bug report - it was instantly closed, on the basis that this is a BIOS problem. I do think that the guides should be updated to specifically warn of the Haswell issue, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I've been using a hackintosh with clover for a long time now and decided to try opencore. The installation went smoothly and everything is working well except for my bios. Now with opencore, when I try to access my bios, I'll get a blackscreen with an underscore "_" flashing on the top left. I've read that people had this issue but trying things like a CMOS reset didn't fix it.

The only way I fixed it was removing all my drives, and flashing the latest bios version with Q-Flash and it worked again. Booting into windows and back into my bios worked perfectly, except when I connected my opencore drive and booted into macOS. Booting back into my bios results in the same problem. Any luck on this? I'm using opencore 0.6.1

Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.1

Processor: i5 4690k

GPU: iGPU
Hi Danny,
I just created my config.plist with Dortania guide for my ga-z97x-ud5h (rev 1:0).
Would you share your config.plist so that I can compare mine with yours ? Even if my motherboard is slightly different from yours.
Thanks by advance !
This thread will help me for my 1st OC 0.6.2 boot.

I would be interested to hear what BIOS version (F3-F5) people are using for GA-Z97N Gaming 5 (Rev 1.0) with OpenCore. I'm wondering if there's a stable set up for this board.

One thing I've noticed is that if the system starts up and the GPU fan remains at full speed the POST has failed and I have to wait around 10mins before booting again. Once the system settles and boots into macOS its stable and will wake from sleep without any issues. If I have a real problem booting I disconnect the clock battery for a period (couple of hours or overnight) and then the system will boot.

The simple fix would be to go back to Clover but as there seems to be a transition to OpenCore happening I think its best to keep with it and learn the new quirks.

I would be interested to hear what BIOS version (F3-F5) people are using for GA-Z97N Gaming 5 (Rev 1.0) with OpenCore. I'm wondering if there's a stable set up for this board.

One thing I've noticed is that if the system starts up and the GPU fan remains at full speed the POST has failed and I have to wait around 10mins before booting again. Once the system settles and boots into macOS its stable and will wake from sleep without any issues. If I have a real problem booting I disconnect the clock battery for a period (couple of hours or overnight) and then the system will boot.

The simple fix would be to go back to Clover but as there seems to be a transition to OpenCore happening I think its best to keep with it and learn the new quirks.
The BIOS might not be liking an RTC write - could try using Kernel->DisableRtcChecksum. I think it only became an issue in 10.15.4 iirc? It blocks writing to locations 0x58-0x59 in the RTC.

Probably best to file a bug report with OC devs I guess, with a complete log file. Just checked the bug tracker, and no one has reported this issue...
I think it's slightly unfair to say its a bad feature if no one has told the devs that it's broken, especially if only on some "older" motherboards (not that Z97 is that old) which the devs themselves probably don't use anymore.
The devs know and even warn about it, read the latest OpenCore setup tutorial. At this stage they can do nothing to rectify it as it seems to be a bios, chipset anomaly that is not widespread and manifests itself in in some Haswell incarnations only.

Greetings Henties

The devs know and even warn about it, read the latest OpenCore setup tutorial. At this stage they can do nothing to rectify it as it seems to be a bios, chipset anomaly that is not widespread and manifests itself in in some Haswell incarnations only.

Greetings Henties
I second @Henties. I would strongly suggest avoiding Bootstrap. Windows 10 in the other hand will give you a hard time if dual booting using OpenCore without Bootstrap, specially after windows updates since it will change and even disable OpenCore booting entries. For me it has been a challenge from time to time. Fortunately I don’t use Windows a lot. As soon as I’m able to boot BS using Clover, for sure I’ll revert to Clover or at least install Clover in a separate EFI partition.

Last edited:
How would Clover differ from OpenCore in that regard? Windows will remove Clover's boot entry as well. The best way to deal with it in my experience is to create your own boot entry using bootice, efibootmgr, or EFI shell to create it, and put BOOTx64.efi within the OC folder to boot from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back