Contribute
Register

OpenCore locks out BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would Clover differ from OpenCore in that regard? Windows will remove Clover's boot entry as well. The best way to deal with it in my experience is to create your own boot entry using bootice, efibootmgr, or EFI shell to create it, and put BOOTx64.efi within the OC folder to boot from.
There is no problem dual booting Windows provided it is installed on a GPT partitioned drive which has an EFI folder. I am doing this for years already without any issues whatsoever.
All my Windows installations were originally installed on MBR partitioned drives which I converted to the GPT partitioning scheme so that they could integrate seamlessly with the UEFI environment under which I operate my macOS installations.

Greetings Henties

There is no problem dual booting Windows provided it is installed on a GPT partitioned drive which has an EFI folder. I am doing this for years already without any issues whatsoever.
All my Windows installations were originally installed on MBR partitioned drives which I converted to the GPT partitioning scheme so that they could integrate seamlessly with the UEFI environment under which I operate my macOS installations.

Greetings Henties
Yeah, it's much less of a pain if windows is on its own drive and doesn't decide to put the EFI on another drive.

Yeah, it's much less of a pain if windows is on its own drive and doesn't decide to put the EFI on another drive.
The way it actually works is that the Windows bcdboot code is placed in the EFI folder, with that code merely being a pointer to the boot routines on the actual Windows install partition. if my memory serves me right that is. It's been a long time ago that I actually did this Windows EFI conversion. I believe tools are now seemingly available that "automate" this conversion, whereas back in "those" days I had to do it all by hand in a very long winded fashion.

Greetings Henties

I have a GA Z97X-UD3H-BK Rev 1.1 with BIOS v F8. I have the build configured as iMac 15,1.

In OC config.sys my BootProtect = Bootstrap. I have never had problems being 'locked out' of my BIOS.

Ignore my post ... I just noticed I'm in the Big Sur discussion. I'm still running Catalina.

Last edited:
Hi,

I was about to install High Sierra on my Haswell config with Ga-Z87X-D3H with Opencore. I would have liked to fall on this topic before starting the installation. Now I end up with the corrupted Bios. No way to access it. I read that we could re flash the Bios but how to do?

Thanks

Hi,

I was about to install High Sierra on my Haswell config with Ga-Z87X-D3H with Opencore. I would have liked to fall on this topic before starting the installation. Now I end up with the corrupted Bios. No way to access it. I read that we could re flash the Bios but how to do?

Thanks

Boot using the dual BIOS feature, then reflash.

Thank you for your replay but I can't get into the Bios, my screen is dark with blinking cursor. I've tried everything found on the web : CMOS reset, battery out, shorting pin 1 and 6, all the combinations with power supply switch, power reset, power button

Boot using the dual BIOS feature, then reflash.
@smcpipint, if you enabled bootstrap in your OpenCore config file, you should disable it as it precisely causes the issue you are experiencing. I already went through the issue and that’s how I dealt with it.

Well, for instant, is no question about Opencore or anything else because I can't not even get into the Bios, even less do something else

Well, for instant, is no question about Opencore or anything else because I can't not even get into the Bios, even less do something else
@geticus if you can boot in Windows your system, you can mount your EFI partition using mini partition wizard tool and browse the EFI to edit the config file disabling bootstrap and removing the bootstrap efi. That will allow you to access again the BIOS and boot through OpenCore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back