i9 9900k
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I‘m trying to install Monterey with OpenCore following Dortania‘s guide as closely as possible.
HW is Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 (BIOS F12N), i9900k, 64 GB ram (3600), Radeon 5700XT, SSD: WD_Black SN850 1TB
The SSD is the only drive in the system, except the USB SSD with the installer.
The SSD is brand new (not formatted yet).

I‘ve built a couple of Hackintoshes in my days, but this is my first attempt with OpenCore.

I have created the USB installer and configured OpenCore following Dortania‘s guide.
Booting from the installer I‘m presented with the OpenCore menu and select „Install macOS Monterey (external)“.

The installer then boots but rather quickly stops at or after the USB detection. Maybe two screens worth of messages.
The last lines on the screen are:

AppleUSB20HubPort@14d24300: AppleUSBHostPort::enumerateDeviceComplete_block_invoke: enumerated 0x05ac/828f/0150 (Bluetooth USB Host Controller) at 12 Mbps
AppleUSB20HubPort@14d24200: AppleUSBHostPort::enumerateDeviceComplete_block_invoke: enumerated 0x05ac/820b/0100 (IOUSBHostDevice) at 12 Mbps

There are several lines like this with other USB (watercooling) things before that.

A little bit further up I can see another line saying:

Previous shutdown cause: 5

Then the output just stops for a while (two, or three minutes) then the screen scrambles and „support.apple.com/mac/startup“ comes up.

I‘m looking at Doratnia‘s troubleshooting guide, but I‘m struggling to find anything like this in there.

Any pointer to a possible next step would be very much appreciated because I‘m pretty much stuck at this point.

Cheers,

John

Actually the system is not frozen at this point (when the log output stops).
When I unplug the USB keyboard, this is showing up as new log lines.
The system seems to be waiting for something…

It’s many gigs to load through narrow USB speed. I would wait 60 mins before aborting with no progress.

Ah, no…
It‘s not me aborting the progress. That‘s happening automatically about two minutes after the last line of log output.

I have the full Monterey install image on the USB SSD and that is quite quick.

Actually the system is not frozen at this point (when the log output stops).
When I unplug the USB keyboard, this is showing up as new log lines.
The system seems to be waiting for something…
It could be waiting for your USB drive. Have you created and enabled a USBPorts.kext?

Thank you for the ideas! Keep it coming ;-)
I have not yet created an USBMap.kext (mapping the USB ports to the max limit of 15 ports in MacOS), as I understand this to be a post installation step. On my older Clover hackintosh I have done that and created a USBMap.kext successfully.
I‘m not sure if you refer to the same with „USBPorts.kext“ ?
For the installation I have USBInjectAll.kext in my OC EFI.

And as I‘m installing off the USB drive, I would think that is accessible.

Cheers,
John

Thank you for the ideas! Keep it coming ;-)
I have not yet created an USBMap.kext (mapping the USB ports to the max limit of 15 ports in MacOS), as I understand this to be a post installation step. On my older Clover hackintosh I have done that and created a USBMap.kext successfully.
I‘m not sure if you refer to the same with „USBPorts.kext“ ?
For the installation I have USBInjectAll.kext in my OC EFI.

Cheers,
John
The USBInjectAll, plus the config.plist setting enabled, is what you need before creating a USBPorts.kext (yes, port mapping). If you have an existing USBPorts.kext in place, that was successfully generated on the same system, then there is likely no need to update it.

Info: All things being equal, generation of USBPorts.kext, as you pointed out, is usually a post-installation step. However, a condition can arise in Big Sur/Monterey where USBPorts.kext cannot be generated, due to USB port failure. As you can imagine, this causes quite the conundrum for users depending on USB keyboards/mice connected to those ports, who can no longer complete their installation. The general workaround for this is to create the USBPorts.kext while still in Catalina, if that's an option.

Yes, up to the point when the boot process interacts with macOS.

This is one possible cause of the issue you're facing. Good luck.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi macntosh!

Good info !!

I will take my USBMap.kext created on the very same hardware with my old hackintosh and incorporate that into my OC EFI on the Installer USB SSD.
I will report back tomorrow (no time today) with the results.

Cheers,
John

Hi macntosh!

Good info !!

I will take my USBMap.kext created on the very same hardware with my old hackintosh and incorporate that into my OC EFI on the Installer USB SSD.
I will report back tomorrow (no time today) with the results.

Cheers,
John
Always welcome. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back