Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please note that this thread refers to my "Mini-ITX 3" computer listed below, not the computer at left.

Thought the problem was EFI Mounter v3.1, but looks more like anOpenCore 0.7.8 EFI configuration issue (see following posts).

Last edited:
I just use terminal. Type,
sudo diskutil list
Terminal will list your disks then type,
sudo diskutil mount disk you want to mount

Corrected typo

Last edited:
Again, please note that this thread refers to my "Mini-ITX 3" computer listed below, not the computer at left.

Okay, using my USB flash drive "Install MacOS High Sierra," I booted on it. I first ran "First Aid" from its Disk Utility on my target disk "970." All was good. Then I installed High Sierra on my Samsung 970 Pro 500 GB NVMe SSD. It worked normally, except that after the installation, OpenCore 0.7.8 (Open Canopy, actually) showed only my other "backup," HFS+ drive "Coffeelake 1," the USB EFI icon, one other EFI icon, and the Install macOS High Sierra icon. A 970 SSD icon was not present.

However, if I boot on "Coffeelake 1," the 970 icon is on my desktop, and System Preferences shows "970" as a selectable startup disk, and I can change to that. If I run Disk First Aid from Coffeelake 1 on the 970 disk, container, and volume, everything looks fine. I can't boot from the 970 disk since it doesn't show up in the OpenCore window. But opening the 970 disk from Coffeelake 1, all the system files show on the 970, so the installation is actually there.

What now? Do I need to do some black magic with "Device Properties" or something in my EFI config.plist on the 970? Any ideas?
Disks.jpg

Last edited:
Please note that this thread refers to my "Mini-ITX 3" computer listed below, not the computer at left.

Need to place my OpenCore EFI boot loader on the correct (EFI) partition of my SSD which is uses the APFS file system. But EFI Mounter v3.1.app "thinks" the EFI partition is disk0s1, when in fact disk0 is the physical device, and not the EFI partition. How to get my OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder where it needs to go? There is the physical device, then a container, then a volume. Is there an EFI mounter app that works?

Thanks!

Unsure why you are having problems with EFI Mounter v3.1 as I have found it works fine in all scenarios, High Sierra to Monterey. HDD and SSD. Even Fusion drives.

Obviously in your screengrab disk0s1 and disk2s1 are the physical EFI partitions. Your issues there are not of EFI Mounter v3.1's making. Those are a question of High Sierra hardware support.

Your issues there are not of EFI Mounter v3.1's making. Those are a question of High Sierra hardware support.
Agreed, I changed the title of this thread... and edited my post #1 as well.. But the bottom line is that a fresh install of High Sierra 10.13.6 on my Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD fails to show the 970 icon in OpenCore 0.7.8 after it finishes. Therefore I cannot boot High Sierra from the 970, even though as above you can see it is "there." Originally I thought it was because EFI Mounter was not installing the 970's EFI in the right place... but I guess it does belong on the physical disk "disk0s1" and not the volume "970," and it does put it there.

What I really need is assistance in getting the 970 icon to show up in OpenCore's window, since I have no idea how to do that. Unless, as I wrote above, some config.plist addition is required in my EFI. Does the "gfxutil" output attached below have any info I can use? Looks like my Samsung 970 PRO is the last line in the listing: 144d.

Thanks for reading!
gfxutil output.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, I changed the title of this thread... and edited my post #1 as well.. But the bottom line is that a fresh install of High Sierra 10.13.6 on my Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD fails to show the 970 icon in OpenCore 0.7.8 after it finishes. Therefore I cannot boot High Sierra from the 970, even though as above you can see it is "there." Originally I thought it was because EFI Mounter was not installing the 970's EFI in the right place... but I guess it does belong on the physical disk "disk0s1" and not the volume "970," and it does put it there.

What I really need is assistance in getting the 970 icon to show up in OpenCore's window, since I have no idea how to do that. Unless, as I wrote above, some config.plist addition is required in my EFI. Does the "gfxutil" output attached below have any info I can use? Looks like my Samsung 970 PRO is the last line in the listing: 144d.

Thanks for reading!
View attachment 542954

I had the same problem with High Sierra. I did two things which (for my 500-series setup) helped:

1) Spoofed Kaby Lake CPU.

2) Used OpenCore 0.7.0.

Your mileage may vary, obviously, but the missing drive icons were restored.

EDIT: Not mentioned but System-Definition iMac18,3. As I said before iMac19,1 can be used but the earlier is better.

As a PS I also tested spoofing a Coffee Lake CPU. This worked but it needs the very latest High Sierra build.

Last edited:
As a PS I also tested spoofing a Coffee Lake CPU. This worked but it needs the very latest High Sierra build.
That sounds very promising to me, but how does one "spoof" anything? (I do have the latest version of High Sierra, 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042).

Last edited:
That sounds very promising to me, but how does one "spoof" anything? (I do have the latest version of High Sierra, 10.13.6 (Build 17G14020).

In the OpenCore config.plist look for "Cpuid1Data". The data here is in Base64, but you usually find the CPU IDs as hexadecimal. For example Kaby Lake has a couple and they are E9060800 and E9060900. Coffee Lake is EA060900 or EB060900. The format for the second Kaby Lake entry is, for example: "E9060900 00000000 00000000 00000000" is equal to: "6QYJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==".

The "Cpuid1Mask" data is a standard "FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000" for which ever spoof you use. As "/////wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==".

There are Conversion Tools online or you can use OpenCore Configurator's Tools.

No point using a spoof that doesn't match the system-definition. Also remember to run your new config.plist through "ocvalidate".

Last edited:
Much water under bridge... Internet service was out for a while.

This nonsense all started when I updated Gigabyte BIOS version F14a to F14 on G's recommendation. I immediately found that I had lost audio. Chased that down until I found that my System/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext had a "bad signature." Replaced it with a known good one, but still no audio. Replaced the macOS on my Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB with my High Sierra Installer USB drive. Then, the SSD no long showed up in the OpenCore window.

Tried the "spoof" idea above; nothing changed. In desperation, I retrieved a "spare" High Sierra SATA SSD that did have working sound, and CCC'ed its contents to my Samsung SSD. Now I could see the SSD in OpenCore and also I had sound again. I still have no idea why I lost sound due to a QuickFlash of my BIOS, or why the icon of my SSD disappeared, but now everything is back to working. But only because I "cheated" with a spare SSD... no other troubleshooting worked. My OpenCore version is back to 10/21 from the later 0.7.8 dated 2/7/22, but I'm not about to go down another rabbit hole by "upgrading' again!

Computers are not here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back