Contribute
Register

Opencore boot entry name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, after new updates or other changes it fixes the boot entry name but this is weird, it has to look for a name somewhere ?! I would like to change it whenever I want.
Yes I agree that is weird. OS stores the drive name in several locations and by just doing the manual change it only changes it in finder. I guess apple isn't thinking about multi booting so they aren't that bothered about fixing the issue.

I would like for them to also update Catalina to be able to correctly see Big Sur disk....right now I have a drive with ”Update” label on my Catalina desktop which is driving me nuts.:lol:

On Big Sur 11.2.3 (build 20D91), kinda the same problem... two storage devices, "970 0" and "970 1" show as icons on desktop and names are correct in "Get Info" also, but in "Get Info," "970 1" is dimmed in "Name and Extension" and on the OpenCore (0.6.7) screen I get the pic below. "System Report" tracks whichever disk I boot on correctly and shows both 970 0 and 970 1 as it should. Is this also a MacOS issue?
Canopy.jpg

Same thing happened to me.
I upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur 11.3.
I renamed the apfs hard drive from Catalina HD to Big Sur HD (also renamed the data partition Big Sur HD - Data)
Somehow, both OpenCore and Clover still show the hard drive as Catalina HD on the GUI boot screen.

NVRAM reset did not help.
I did ioreg to see if there's any remants of Catalina HD, and none were found.

I have no idea where OpenCore and Clover are still getting the old Catalina HD name

Same thing happened to me.
Do you have a backup disk on your system? If so, I think it can be fixed if you perform a second 11.3 download to your backup disk. Apple (or OpenCore) has done something which prevents Carbon Copy Cloner from being able to install a full clone including the System volume during a "full" backup. CCC will still faithfully transfer everything on your "data" volume, though. My problem has gone away since downloading 11.3 twice; once on my primary disk and once on my secondary disk.

Thank much @wstrohm
I re-downloaded the full 12GB+ Big Sur 11.3 installer from the App Store and ran it again. It turned out to actually be the 11.3.1 installer, as 11.3.1 got released a few hours earlier in the day.

After a couple reboots to complete the update, now OpenCore and Clover correctly display the updated partition name, Big Sur HD.

Same issue here. The scanner seems to use the name in the EFI partition of the OS, but not for macOS. Not sure where it is getting the name. Maybe its just held in NVRAM, and never updated?

Same issue here. The scanner seems to use the name in the EFI partition of the OS, but not for macOS. Not sure where it is getting the name. Maybe its just held in NVRAM, and never updated?
How to update macOS volume name in the OpenCore picker without Intel Power gadget:

- config.plist: change csr-active-config to 6F020000 or FF0F0000 (having csr-active-config also in NVRAM >> Delete >> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82)
- reboot
- mount Preboot volume from Terminal (I'm not sure if that this is required, I see Preboot volume without mounting it but other users have had to mount that volume)
- show invisible files
- edit /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails file
- change the volume name to anything else
- reboot.

The new name is displayed in text and graphical picker. OpenCore gets the name of the volume from this file and the name changes in the picker... even without having changed it in Disk Utility or Finder.

How to update macOS volume name in the OpenCore picker without Intel Power gadget:

- config.plist: change csr-active-config to 6F020000 or FF0F0000 (having csr-active-config also in NVRAM >> Delete >> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82)
- reboot
- mount Preboot volume from Terminal (I'm not sure if that this is required, I see Preboot volume without mounting it but other users have had to mount that volume)
- show invisible files
- edit /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails file
- change the volume name to anything else
- reboot.

The new name is displayed in text and graphical picker. OpenCore gets the name of the volume from this file and the name changes in the picker... even without having changed it in Disk Utility or Finder.
On my system the file ".disk_label.contentDetails" has the correct updated name. However there is another file named ".contentDetails" in the same place that had the old name. I updated it to the correct name, and it appeared correctly in the bootpicker. Perhaps Apple changed the name of this preboot file and OC has not caught up yet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back