MSI Z270 M7
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

After updating to Big Sur I decided to rename my system partition from Catalina to MacOS. However OC boot entry is still showing Catalina.
I tried to reset NVRAM, CMOS, Flash Bios but nothing worked.

Any Idea ?
Thanks.

So have you renamed it in macOS?

Same thing with my 2nd hack...

Did you try this method?:
  1. Go to Computer view in Finder (Go menu -> Computer)
  2. Select the disk to be renamed
  3. Get Info on it (File menu -> Get Info)
  4. Expand the Name section
  5. Change the name to whatever you want
  6. Press Tab once done, so that the change takes effect
  7. Close the Get Info window
In Mojave, when you right click on the drive name in Finder there is an option to rename the drive. It is probably there in Catalina also.

I have the same problem. Installed Big Sur, renamed my second Catalina boot drive via disk utility so It would also rename the data partition, but open core boot entry still shows the old drive name. Using open core 0.6.3.

I have the exact same issue, changed drive names but opencore boot entry still uses the old drive names opencore 0.6.3

What I have been able to figure out, this is not opencore but Apple bug.
For some reason if you rename the boot drive after installation the os doesn't change the name in all instances where that name is used inside the os.
I have even tried bootiing into the recovery partition and editing "disk_label.contentDetails" in System/Library/CoreServices where your boot drive name is stored and the os doesn't change it after you rename the drive, but still no luck. The old name is obviously stored somewhere else also.

What I have been able to figure out, this is not opencore but Apple bug.
For some reason if you rename the boot drive after installation the os doesn't change the name in all instances where that name is used inside the os.
I have even tried bootiing into the recovery partition and editing "disk_label.contentDetails" in System/Library/CoreServices where your boot drive name is stored and the os doesn't change it after you rename the drive, but still no luck. The old name is obviously stored somewhere else also.
So i just installed the new security update for Catalina and boot entry fixed itself after the install.

So i just installed the new security update for Catalina and boot entry fixed itself after the install.

Yes, after new updates or other changes it fixes the boot entry name but this is weird, it has to look for a name somewhere ?! I would like to change it whenever I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back