Contribute
Register

OpenCore ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 4790K RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
It ultimately was, indeed, very simple. But the topic seemed like much. In the end I followed [This post] which was rather easy to do so.

Again for future reference:

Power settings
  • I downloaded CPU Friend
  • I downloaded CPU FriendFriend
  • Loaded the CPU Friend kext and rebooted
  • Started the CPUFriendFriend script which asked:
    • LFM/TDP-Low setting (800Mhz for my CPU)
    • EPP setting (choose 01, which is a tad less 'performance' than 00)
  • Included the resulting CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
For the USBPorts
  • Headed to the aforementioned post
  • Downloaded Hackintool
  • Went to the USB tab and followed all instructions
  • Choose to load the kext and not the SDDT versions (only added USBPorts.kext to OC/Kexts)
  • Updated the config.plist accordingly
After reboot everything kept working (WiFi works, BT works, Audio works). Forcefully (deep)sleeping and waking the system (sleeping using 'pmset sleepnow' and when it is totally asleep using the powerbutton to wake it) also works.

Unlocking with apple watch does not work (though I was able to enable it). I read about 'continuity' which should be enabled manually but haven't done so yet.

Spotlight search is still a bit on the fritz, probably due to all the reboots and crashes. It never seems to finish and because of that is not really useful at the time. Might force a re-indexing when the system feels stable enough.

I'll keep the system running for a bit to see if it randomly freezes/reboots etc.

It ultimately was, indeed, very simple. But the topic seemed like much. In the end I followed [This post] which was rather easy to do so.

Again for future reference:

Power settings
  • I downloaded CPU Friend
  • I downloaded CPU FriendFriend
  • Loaded the CPU Friend kext and rebooted
  • Started the CPUFriendFriend script which asked:
    • LFM/TDP-Low setting (800Mhz for my CPU)
    • EPP setting (choose 01, which is a tad less 'performance' than 00)
  • Included the resulting CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
For the USBPorts
  • Headed to the aforementioned post
  • Downloaded Hackintool
  • Went to the USB tab and followed all instructions
  • Choose to load the kext and not the SDDT versions (only added USBPorts.kext to OC/Kexts)
  • Updated the config.plist accordingly
After reboot everything kept working (WiFi works, BT works, Audio works). Forcefully (deep)sleeping and waking the system (sleeping using 'pmset sleepnow' and when it is totally asleep using the powerbutton to wake it) also works.

Unlocking with apple watch does not work (though I was able to enable it). I read about 'continuity' which should be enabled manually but haven't done so yet.

Spotlight search is still a bit on the fritz, probably due to all the reboots and crashes. It never seems to finish and because of that is not really useful at the time. Might force a re-indexing when the system feels stable enough.

I'll keep the system running for a bit to see if it randomly freezes/reboots etc.
If you have a bunch of external drives that you don't require indexing I would disable in system pref. Could help speed things along and be less taxing on the system.

Hello Friends and thanks to blazinsmokey for this guide I can confirm that with this procedure the installation of BIG SUR 11.1 (20C69) works on the ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 2 / USB 3.1 motherboard.

1- I downloaded the following bios for my motherboard from the Asus official website: Bios: SABERTOOTH-Z97-MARK-2-USB31-ASUS-2702

2- I downloaded the bios of another motherboard similar to mine but older the ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 2 Bios: SABERTOOTH-Z97-MARK-2-ASUS-0801 (this version is from mid 2014)

3- With UEFITool I extracted according to this guide the NvramSmi from the SABERTOOTH-Z97-MARK-2-ASUS-0801 bios and replaced it in the SABERTOOTH-Z97-MARK-2-USB31-ASUS-2702 bios
Save the modified Bios with the name Z97S2U31.CAP is the name as indicated in the manual of my motherboard.

4- Turn off my computer and place the usb formatted in fat32 with the new modified bios in the "USB BIOS FLASHBACK" port of my board, press the "USB BIOS FLASHBACK" button for 3 seconds and it started to flash, wait with my fingers crossed (this part is very important you have to cross your fingers) and after the light finished blinking I turned on my computer and managed to enter the bios. Its works.

5- Load the settings that I had previously saved to prepare the installation of MacOS.

6- Place the BIG SUR installation usb previously created and restart

7- The installation window of BIG SUR started, format the ssd disk where you wanted to install the system from the disk utility, left this and select the disk the installation started reaching 12%, the installation restarted and continued without no problem (I could breathe easier, previously without flashing the bios when it reached 12% the installation no longer continued)

I am writing from the new macos BIG SUR system on my computer and everything works fine.
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k 4.0ghz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 /3.1
Memory: 16 Gb 1867 MHz DDR3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8GB
USB: works (I still need to map the ports)
Ethernet: works
Wifi: works
Bluetooth: works
Icloud: works
FaceTime: works
Sound: works
AppleTv: works
AirDrop: works
The only thing that doesn't work is the music videos from Music, can someone here help me with this? I would thank you a lot.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-12-22 a la(s) 17.02.40.png

I add my EFI configuration.plist and the bios that I modify, I do not recommend that you use this bios, better do it yourself for your own board this bios is specific for the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2 /3.1 ONLY.

I thank everyone who published here, this helped me and gave me the courage to do it myself. and a special thanks to blazinsmokey for this guide.

Attachments

• Z97S2U31.CAP.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 154
  • config.plist
    11.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
@Alfns sorry I don't have any music videos to try, are these purchased through the store or you just downloaded and added them?

@Alfns sorry I don't have any music videos to try, are these purchased through the store or you just downloaded and added them?
Hello , thank you for answering so quickly, I tell you that I have a Music subscription since all my music is managed from this app and I can see any video too, but now when I play any video the app closes :( and I don't know why,
I do not know, there is something in my configuration that is wrong.

Hello , thank you for answering so quickly, I tell you that I have a Music subscription since all my music is managed from this app and I can see any video too, but now when I play any video the app closes :( and I don't know why,
I do not know, there is something in my configuration that is wrong.
Sounds like a DRM issue. As far as I know whatevergreen's patches for this is not yet compatible with Big Sur.

my computer asus maximus vii hero Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz install mac os big sur just turn off screen

my computer asus maximus vii hero Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz install mac os big sur just turn off screen
GTX 960 won't work and if you don't have a rx 580 or native dgpu you have to enable iGPU and setup framebuffer patches and use SMBIOS 14,3 or 15,1. Look up the dortania guide. Plus you'll need to do the nvramsmi driver switch as described.

@blazinsmokey Hi, I wanted to know if your guide and attached EFI is also compatible with a MB ASUS Maximus VI Formula (1150 Z87) ?

-my configuration has an i7 4790K and a RX580 N+ 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back