Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Opencore 0.7.6 (Debug) USB installation option not showing on picker list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z370a
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi all,

I followed every step on https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#starting-point to create a bootable OC drive for my coffee lake. USB installation option is missing on the PickerList, as well as the current Mojave HDD partition (maybe because I set the mindate and minversion to matched Catalina - my targeted installation).

Current:
My current OS is Clover r4769 with Mojave 10.14.1

USB Installation:
Equipped with Catalina 10.15.4 with proper creation from Dortania

OC config.plist:
HfsPlus.efi added to UEFI/driver, also added on config.plist
Scan policy = 0
HideAuxiliary = False
ShowerPicker = True
SecureBootModle = Disable

Actions:
Spacebar not responding during Picker List.
Tried replacing Hfsplus.efi with OpenHfsPlus.efi and VboxHfs.efi
Tried unplugging the unused USB hub from the motherboard
Tried every USB port from the motherboard
Using USB 2.0 flash drive
CFG unlocked
SecureBoot Disabled
OS set to Windows UEFI

I have read different solutions from people who have the same issue as mine but it just doesn't work for me, I have been stuck on this for a week. I just want to at least boot from USB so that I can format my current HDD and install Catalina with OC. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 7.05.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 7.05.31 PM.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 142
Hi all,

I followed every step on https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#starting-point to create a bootable OC drive for my coffee lake. USB installation option is missing on the PickerList, as well as the current Mojave HDD partition (maybe because I set the mindate and minversion to matched Catalina - my targeted installation).

Current:
My current OS is Clover r4769 with Mojave 10.14.1

USB Installation:
Equipped with Catalina 10.15.4 with proper creation from Dortania

OC config.plist:
HfsPlus.efi added to UEFI/driver, also added on config.plist
Scan policy = 0
HideAuxiliary = False
ShowerPicker = True
SecureBootModle = Disable

Actions:
Spacebar not responding during Picker List.
Tried replacing Hfsplus.efi with OpenHfsPlus.efi and VboxHfs.efi
Tried unplugging the unused USB hub from the motherboard
Tried every USB port from the motherboard
Using USB 2.0 flash drive
CFG unlocked
SecureBoot Disabled
OS set to Windows UEFI

I have read different solutions from people who have the same issue as mine but it just doesn't work for me, I have been stuck on this for a week. I just want to at least boot from USB so that I can format my current HDD and install Catalina with OC. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
what shows up on the picker?

may be useful to upload your config.plist

what shows up on the picker?

may be useful to upload your config.plist
Thank you for your reply!

Please see attachment for pickerlist status. (I did an experiment that to set mindate and minversion to -1, so Mojave boot option can be seen)

One thing make me confused is that when I open the sample.plist, the UEFI > Driver was set to "Dictionary" for every driver item (Please see 2nd attached screencap). However, many people showed UEFI > Driver as "Strings", therefore I changed to "Strings" from "Dictionary", but still USB installer is not showed. I just change the driver items back to "Dictionary", error message poped up on Openshell (Please see the 3rd attachment). Which is the correct format on UEFI > Driver sector?

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_194155.jpg
    IMG_20220119_194155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 352
  • Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 7.51.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 7.51.40 PM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20220119_194102.jpg
    IMG_20220119_194102.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 397
  • config copy.plist
    26.7 KB · Views: 79
Thank you for your reply!

Please see attachment for pickerlist status. (I did an experiment that to set mindate and minversion to -1, so Mojave boot option can be seen)

One thing make me confused is that when I open the sample.plist, the UEFI > Driver was set to "Dictionary" for every driver item (Please see 2nd attached screencap). However, many people showed UEFI > Driver as "Strings", therefore I changed to "Strings" from "Dictionary", but still USB installer is not showed. I just change the driver items back to "Dictionary", error message poped up on Openshell (Please see the 3rd attachment). Which is the correct format on UEFI > Driver sector?
you need to run ocvalidate on your config.plist, then make the needed changes to the config.plist

then re run ocvalidate until you get no errors

make sure to replace all needed files when updating

also check with sample.plist to your own config.plist for changes

also did you make a recovery usb installer?

also did you make a recovery usb installer?
I did not make a recovery usb installer, if you are referring to the one you saw on the picker, that's my current OS i believe (Mojave)

It came out this result...

OMG, I am so dump that I misspell the word "Enabled"...... Let me try booting.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 8.23.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 8.23.32 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 494
It came out this result
best to start again with a clean download of opencore (doesn't have to be debug version)

then rename sample.plist to config.plist, copy in your own entries to that config.plist from your older version, ie aml files, kexts, device properties section...

Every issue popped up is a good way to learn and I will not forget what I have done wrong.

Update: Thanks to @Feartech Catalina USB installer can be seen now. What caused the USB installer no show is that after reading some posts from forums out there, I changed the format under UEFI > Drivers from "Dictionary" to "Strings". Please don't follow what other people say out there blindly, read the guide thoroughly (For me is Dortania https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#kernel , Use OCConfigCompare https://github.com/corpnewt/OCConfigCompare for comparing mismatched format and missing items and lines. Just know that different OC versions have different format on certain lines. Once again, thank you @Feartech for bringing the OCConfigCompare to solve my problem. Thanks!

Booting issue is fix and there are way to go..... I hope things will go smooth for installing Catalina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back