i9 9900k
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I have re-installed my Hackintosh successfully and run now Monterey 12.1.
I just updated OpenCore from 0.7.5 to 0.7.6, removed all the debugging features I had running for a while now and installed the OpenCanopy graphical boot selector menu (I have Windows 11 on a separate SSD).
That is all running fine - no problems I can detect. NVRAM is working fine too.

One thing is still bugging me though:
My previous build (Catalina booted by Clover) the Clover bootloader “remembered“ which OS I had booted last time and selected that as default. After a definable timeout (5 sec in my case) Clover just booted whatever OS I had booted last time.
So, when I had booted into Windoze last time, and I re-started the PC, clover would boot Windoze again without me selecting it actively.
If I had booted into MacOS last time, the next unattended boot would go into MacOS again.

I understand with OpenCore the default OS is defined by the „Startup Disk“ setting in the System Preferences, which are stored in NVRAM entries (I think).

Is there a way to make OpenCore (0.7.6) to load that OS by default, which has been booted last time?

Cheers,

John

Hi there,

I have re-installed my Hackintosh successfully and run now Monterey 12.1.
I just updated OpenCore from 0.7.5 to 0.7.6, removed all the debugging features I had running for a while now and installed the OpenCanopy graphical boot selector menu (I have Windows 11 on a separate SSD).
That is all running fine - no problems I can detect. NVRAM is working fine too.

One thing is still bugging me though:
My previous build (Catalina booted by Clover) the Clover bootloader “remembered“ which OS I had booted last time and selected that as default. After a definable timeout (5 sec in my case) Clover just booted whatever OS I had booted last time.
So, when I had booted into Windoze last time, and I re-started the PC, clover would boot Windoze again without me selecting it actively.
If I had booted into MacOS last time, the next unattended boot would go into MacOS again.

I understand with OpenCore the default OS is defined by the „Startup Disk“ setting in the System Preferences, which are stored in NVRAM entries (I think).

Is there a way to make OpenCore (0.7.6) to load that OS by default, which has been booted last time?

Cheers,

John

Hi there.

Yes. Well almost ...

Press Ctrl+Enter when you select the drive you wish to boot in the OpenCore boot menu. You will see the selection change its icon as you do this. From then on this selected drive will be the one used until you clear NVRAM.

Not quite what you wanted but near enough?

:)

Just to confirm you would have explicitly stated in your Clover config.plist that you wanted the last drive used to be the next drive to boot when he system restarts, by using this option in the Boot section of your Clover config.plist.

Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 16.35.53.png

Or more likely by not setting a default boot volume.

OpenCore works more like a real Mac would behave when selecting boot volumes.

As UtterDisbelief stated, you can select a default volume from the OC boot screen or picker list, by pressing the 'Crtl+Enter) keys, while the volume icon/name is selected on the OC boot screen.

You can also use the macOS System Preferences > Startup Disk option to select the default boot drive (like a real Mac).

There is no equivalent for the Clover Default Boot Volume > 'LastBootedVolume' in OpenCore, not that I have seen or read about in the Configuration.pdf released with each version of OpenCore.

Thank you both!
I think Ctrl+Enter will be close enough.
It‘s not really a mission-critical feature. Just merely something I got used to.

One more question:
Can the timeout value be changed in OpenCore?
The time until the menu is closed and the Default Boot Volume is booted?

Cheers,

John

Thank you both!
I think Ctrl+Enter will be close enough.
It‘s not really a mission-critical feature. Just merely something I got used to.

One more question:
Can the timeout value be changed in OpenCore?
The time until the menu is closed and the Default Boot Volume is booted?

Cheers,

John

Yes, there is. It is in the 'Misc' section of config.plist and the <boot> key. Look down through the section and near the bottom you will see <key>Timeout</key> with a value <integer>5</integer>. Just change this value.

Thank you!
Much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back