Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.6 > 0.6.7 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

Check you need to upgrade OC. The upgrade process is simple but there are new conflicts discovered if you are running public-beta versions of macOS. For example with OpenCore's XhciPortLimit quirk and USBInjectAll.kext. Not important if you have USBPorts.kext in place.

Remember OC is still in beta and major changes can take place. Go for it if you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, but if your hackintosh is running fine as it is, why fix what isn't broken?

What worried me was when you said "I have 0.6.6 running nicely".

:)

Thanks! So XhciPortLimit is true for 0.6.7 (not 0.6.6) and can be solved by doing a proper USB ports setup -> kext?

Thanks! So XhciPortLimit is true for 0.6.7 (not 0.6.6) and can be solved by doing a proper USB ports setup -> kext?

XhciPortLimit is bugged for 0.6.7 and the developers have acknowledged this, I believe.

Once you have created a USBPorts.kext you no-longer need a port-limit removal patch - either XhciPortLimit quirk or a conventional macOS kext patch. However a port-limit patch is useful when creating the kext so you can easily identify the ports you have. It is possible to do the job without, by deduction. Happy to help if you need it over on the USB thread.

Creating a USBPorts.kext only needs to be done once for a given motherboard you are using. After that you just continue to declare it in config.plist as a kext without an executable.

Yes, thank you for this helpful breakdown. I have never dealt with the Tools folder before, and am unclear what to do with the addition of ocpasswordgen. I don't understand the instructions in the Skylake Dortania Guide:

Tools​

Used for running OC debugging tools like the shell, ProperTree's snapshot function will add these for you.
It is not the place to teach you the OC tools but you can go without them, many people do it that way, or install only OpenShell.efi that lets to start a shell from the OC menu in which to enter basic commands to do some tasks before the macOS boot starts.
These are the tools included within the OC EFI folder.

But there is another Tools folder when you download OC, outside of the EFI folder, these are tools to perform OC-related tasks, of which it is of interest ocvalidate that allows to validate config.plist files, to know if they are well formed or have structure failures. These tools are not included in the EFI folder or into config.plist.

@oli.mathieu
Has been fixed the problem with ScanPolicy?

XhciPortLimit is bugged for 0.6.7 and the developers have acknowledged this, I believe.

Once you have created a USBPorts.kext you no-longer need a port-limit removal patch - either XhciPortLimit quirk or a conventional macOS kext patch. However a port-limit patch is useful when creating the kext so you can easily identify the ports you have. It is possible to do the job without, by deduction. Happy to help if you need it over on the USB thread.

Creating a USBPorts.kext only needs to be done once for a given motherboard you are using. After that you just continue to declare it in config.plist as a kext without an executable.

Update: With macOS 11.3 Beta 3(20E5196f), XhciPortLimit is now working correctly. You can easily install and update macOS with this quirk enabled.

Update: With macOS 11.3 Beta 3(20E5196f), XhciPortLimit is now working correctly. You can easily install and update macOS with this quirk enabled.
Thanks, it’s a good news.

Is that the Developer beta? Or are they in sync nowadays? I tried Apple's link and was asked to sign in to my developer account. Remember we can't talk about the Developer betas here :thumbup:

Thanks
It is not the place to teach you the OC tools but you can go without them, many people do it that way, or install only OpenShell.efi that lets to start a shell from the OC menu in which to enter basic commands to do some tasks before the macOS boot starts.
These are the tools included within the OC EFI folder.

But there is another Tools folder when you download OC, outside of the EFI folder, these are tools to perform OC-related tasks, of which it is of interest ocvalidate that allows to validate config.plist files, to know if they are well formed or have structure failures. These tools are not included in the EFI folder or into config.plist.
Thanks. I found the instructions for ocpasswordgen. I'm unable to use it or ocvalidate because the OS rejects my credentials, even though they are correct. This problem began after I installed 11.2.1. I've tried several suggested fixes so far, usually involving .AppleSetUpDone from the Recovery Terminal, but no luck so far. I may have to do a reinstall.

Is that the Developer beta? Or are they in sync nowadays? I tried Apple's link and was asked to sign in to my developer account. Remember we can't talk about the Developer betas here :thumbup:
That’s what the Dortania website says and we should let people know that the quirk is not affected so users would not need to feel panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back