Contribute
Register

Open GL problem with After Effects CC2018 (running 10.13.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 980 x 2
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I started to experience a problem with After Effects CC2018 after upgrading to CC2018.
Basically, It crashes on the creation of new composition saying Open GL error.
I haven't a clue how to fix this, can someone please help.

I have OSX 10.13.6 installed, my computer has Nvidia 1080 Game Rock Palit Card. (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11263 MB).

I have update lilu.kekst and nvidia.kekst as per instructions I have found on the internet. Also, I updated APFS.efito 10.13.6

Currently, I have Nvidia WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.105 installed and CUDA Driver Version: 410.130

The system works fine, but I have noticed glitches when new finder windows are open. The biggest problem is that After Effects is not working.

Can someone help, please.

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also experiencing same issue. I am loosing After Effects 2018 OpenGL support after 378.10.10.10.25.106 Nvidia driver. After this i am getting smooth OS UI. But no openGl acceleration. For now revert back to this version. You can use Benjamin script.

https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

I hope someone fix this issue.
By the way I have three GPU. Display GPU is a Titan X Maxwell. And 2 x 1080 GTX Pascal.

Exactly, don't use latest drivers in High Sierra. Some applications loose OpenGL support.

HI Back,

I have used this script before. It is a good script as it allows you to use correct version.
I just tried the script again, script came back saying I have the correct version installed.
In the preferences of after effects I tried everything. CPU and GPU, both came back as problematic, crashes of After Effects.

Is there anything else I can do. Suggestions are welcome.
Maybe I have not ticked something in my Clover Config that relates to my Palit GTX 1080 Ti card.

Below is info from After Effects.

Fast Draft:

Not Available (incompatible device or old graphics driver)
Texture Memory: 0.00 MB
Ray-tracing: GPU

OpenGL
Vendor: Apple Inc.
Device: Apple Software Renderer
Version: 2.1 APPLE-16.5.10 (2.0 or later required)
Total Memory: 0.00 MB (256 MB or greater required)
Shader Model: -
CUDA
Driver Version: 10.0
Devices: 2 (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti)
Current Usable Memory: 9.77 GB (at application launch)
Maximum Usable Memory: 11.00 GB

PS.
Many thanks for the suggestions.

If you are using "387.10.10.10.40.105" nvidia driver, you will loose your openGL support with Adobe 2017 or 2018. Try this driver with this command in Terminal.

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 378.10.10.10.25.106

Driver version 378.10.10.10.25.106 works ok for me.

HI Back,

Thank you for the tip. That has fixed my problem, I now have After Effects CC2019 working.
To clarify, I copied the the provided link, then used Terminal, to paste and install the correct driver. Please note the terminal code will remove all previous drivers and will install 378.10.10.10.25.106.

Many, Many Tanks to Motionworks. You have saved the day.

Exactly, don't use latest drivers in High Sierra. Some applications loose OpenGL support.
See the solution in this tread provided by Motionworks.

Do you use opencl or cuda?

What do you mean by open cL or CUDA, sorry I don’t understand. The problem is fixed by installing correct driver. You can change CPU or GPU in the After Effects preferences.

I meant, in the project settings on things like premiere pro do you select OpenCL or Cuda acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back