i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my latest COVID-19 shelter in place keep busy project. Including this one, I have done 3 scratch builds and one build using a retail case this year. I may do another retail case this year as I have the case (direct from China) setting here.

This is a Hackintosh and I have used an owned Gigabyte GTX 960 GPU and have macOS 10.13.6 running with out issues.

About this project. Open Frame with an i9-9900T CPU on an ASRock H310CM-ITX/ac motherboard with 16 GB DDR4 memory, M.2 NVMe 500 GB WD Black system drive and a 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD for clone back up. WiFi/Bt works as I swapped out the Intel radio for a BCM943602CS and m.2 adapter.

The “foot” piece is from my salvage bin where years ago I scraped out an AIO 24” kit system that I had failed to make work correctly.

Questions and or comments are always welcome.
Neil
580.jpg
581.jpg
582.jpg
583.jpg
584.jpg
585.jpg
586.jpg
589.jpg

Nice. Often times building them is the fun part and that looks like you had fun. I'm curious about the PSU. Is that an SFX unit taken apart or something else?
That is an older version of HDPLEX AC - DC 300 and a 300 W DC unit that I had in an older system that I decomissioned.

neil

Last edited:
I was not happy with this area.
583-mod-1.jpg

So I spent time to fabricate this modesty piece.

Trim1.jpg

Hummm, better maybe.

Trim-2.jpg

Trim-3.jpg

And I have ordered an ITX size AMD RX 580 GPU which will allow me to run the current versions of macOS.

I am currently undecided about having the exterior pieces bead blasted and anodized. Too many $$$

Neil

I am still thinking about the anodizing which brings up the subject or what color would suite me best?

Anyway, the AMD OEM RX 580 ITX card arrived and I upgraded the macOS to 10.15.7 Supplemental version and the system continues to run without issue. I also cleaned up the top panel to reduce the heavy scratches.

withRadeon.jpg

RwkTopPlate.jpg

That's it for now.
neil

Hi @neilhart. I’m feeling very inspired by this awesome open frame build using the, is it an iMac stand?. My next project, once the Mac mini cube mod is completed, will be an 2004, maybe 2005 or 2006 white iMac with one of those stands. This has given me fresh ideas to ponder.

I did come back and add handles to this system which make a real difference when moving things around as I often do.

MYOPEN1.jpg

Last edited:
Like always, love your build. The only thing I would add to it is a small piece of plexiglass on each side just to "enclose" the build. With holes for the fans i really think it would take your build to another level.

Like always, love your build. The only thing I would add to it is a small piece of plexiglass on each side just to "enclose" the build. With holes for the fans i really think it would take your build to another level.
Yes, well then it would not be "open frame" and the project would be much less interesting IMHO.

Neil

I did come back and add handles to this system which make a real difference when moving things around as I often do.

View attachment 520415
Very cool! The only thing I can think of purely for safety reasons (baby fingers) is a metal grate over the CPU fan. Chrome would be ok but blacked out would not take away from the beauty of the build IMO.

If a small child (in my case I get occasional visitors) were to bloody their fingers it would be obvious how it happened. However, if they touch the motherboard and get electrocuted one can just say “the child started having spasms and then dropped to the floor”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back