Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ouch!, Looks like the flies will be gossiping on AMDs boardroom walls this morning!. Not only have forecasts been lowered for the coming year, they lost the Bragging Flag too!. Will we see 10 GHz CPUs next year?.

INTEL-RAPTOR-LAKE-8.2-GHZ-OC-4-768x432.jpg

I read the headline and didn't believe it in the first place

I read the article… and still does not understand what is the point of taking a 24-core CPU and bringing one single core to 8.2 GHz.

For those lucky enough to live near a MicroCenter store. Biggest discount of any retailer online or off.
They may be losing money or breaking even on the CPU sale but they're betting you'll see other things and buy them in store to make up for it.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 4.49.47 PM.png

I read the article… and still does not understand what is the point of taking a 24-core CPU and bringing one single core to 8.2 GHz.
It's just for bragging rights over AMD. Enthusiasts get excited about seeing bigger numbers. It's the WOW factor.

No gamer or content creator has any need to overclock even past 6GHz. They probably don't have adequate cooling to do so anyway.

Does Intel now own the best gaming chip?, will they be crowned ‘best gaming chip’ maker, we wait and see.

will they be crowned ‘best gaming chip’ maker, we'll wait and see.
The i7 version will probably be more popular with gamers, not just because it costs less but because it also has 8 performance cores like the i9. The 8 extra efficiency cores don't do anything to enhance gaming framrates. Gaming is much more dependent on the horsepower of the GPU so most any 8 core Intel 12th or 13th gen will be more than adequate for the most demanding games.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Even the 6 core i5 with faster 3.5 GHz base clock speed will be excellent for gaming. Allows you to spend more on better graphics. Should work fine with macOS Ventura too. Other than the iGPU that is.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Last edited:
With the latest GPUs getting so much bigger and more power hungry too, everyone will be upgrading their case and PSU to make these new builds work. Good news for the case and PSU makers.

1666310468501.png

Back in the late 90s at Intel, one of the component engineers on our project, who later became an engineering Fellow, had a presentation he was taking around the company explaining the physics of frequency on power density and what this meant for the future. He had a slide with a graph of clock rates (x) and power (y) projections for process roadmaps, with a line going up to a point of practical max of 5Ghz, and then continuing on to the top-tight of his graph where there was a point labelled—in all seriousness!—"Surface of the Sun".

I never saw the whole presentation but when I recall that slide, I laugh at the goofball antics of extreme overclocking with these super-cooling gimmicks and how nonsensical these games are. The industry understood all the tradeoffs long ago, and there's no sane belief that some as-yet undiscovered property of the universe is gonna break the rules of power density.

These physics are why component power stabilized generations ago, with all the new gains coming from clever rearrangement of the core/cache logic. And let's not put them down: these gains have been substantial! But don't keep hoping for any free lunch.

I can't say loudly enough that Apple deeply internalized all these understandings with AppleSi and is taking very meaningful and intelligent steps to arrange how power gets applied to work that product buyers care about.

Intel and AMD are still beating an older drum of sheer gains to be relevant. Intel understands these games very well, and the PC market is structured to play them. The business back-end/server space speaks a completely different language of performance, which any systems enthusiast is wise to investigate.

If you want to see a case study, look into how the server market regards SSD Trim. It will expand your mind about the true properties of this niggling, weird, little storage feature.

To understand 13th gen, note that today American muscle cars still sell, but all the manufacturers know that EV are the future. And what's most notable about Teslas is how they're trying to get rid of the driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back