Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Geekbench and System Profiler shows that I have 8GB ram. I have 4 sets of these, taken from system profiler:-

BANK0/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1338 MHz
Manufacturer: Kingston
Part Number: 9905403-011.A03LF
Serial Number: 0x4f274065

The same for Bank2,3 & 4. Not sure if it is related, but I'm booting into 64-bit SL. Not sure if I'm running on 8GB or just wasting 4GB in my system. Appreciate some kind assistance. Thank you.

After a day of searching around, I still can't understand why only 4GB. I have downloaded TinkerTool, and it's Diagnostic tells me RAM usable by the operating system is only 4GB. Anyone, please.....

n8210 said:
After a day of searching around, I still can't understand why only 4GB. I have downloaded TinkerTool, and it's Diagnostic tells me RAM usable by the operating system is only 4GB. Anyone, please.....
Are you using Chameleon from MultiBeast as your boot-loader?

Thanks MacMan for your kind assistance.

Yes, used Multibeast version 2.0.2. But I have just discovered this in bios:

1)System memory: Usable size = 4088MB; &
2)Memory remap feature: PCI MMIO Allocation = 4GB to 3328MB

I have updated to the latest bios. What can I do now on my Asus P7P55 LX board to make it read 8GB? The board has MemOK feature, it does not show/indicate any problem. No beep sound during boot up as well. I don't think I've installed the ram wrongly.

I've solved my ram problem. Turns out the 4 sticks of ram cannot work with each other, although all 4 are Kingston, DDR3, 1333MHz. In fact, 3 sticks are similar while the 4th which is also Kingston, but has a different hologram sticker. And if you say that's the odd one causing problem, well no. This is what I did:-

First two sticks 2x2GB coupled with another brand new set Corsair 2x2GB = it works, total 8GB shows up in bios and in activity monitor.

Second two sticks with the different hologram 2x2GB coupled with Corsair = it works too, 8GB in total.

But if you put all 4 sticks of Kingston together = it does not work, only 4GB ram.

Any one knows why? I sure don't.

Make sure you are pairing correctly your identical sticks on separate channels...

They are all Kingston DDR3 1333MHz!!

Even if they are all Kingston DDR3 1333MHz, the timings and chip layouts might be different...
After carefully re-reading your post, I now realize you might have 3/1... Sorry about that.

Actually the odd one (with the different hologram) was the one that originally came with the system, provided by the shop. I recently purchased 2 sticks and of course they are the same. D*** shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back