Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OnLive going..going..Oh Snap Still here!

Hello folks,

Well what an afternoon for OnLive gaming service. It seems as though OnLive gaming has gone bye bye. Several media outlets have reported that mass layoffs at their offices and that there is currently no company called "OnLive". There is also rumor that there is a third party currently in to buy the lack luster online gaming client. Here is a quick article from The Verge,

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/17/3...-fired-all-hands-meeting-acquisition-imminent

Lets start out at the beginning. There was a report earlier in the day that OnLive had released almost 50% of their employees and that the company was going to be no more. This was reported by a supposed former employee, that at least 50% of the staff was let go this morning as Engadget reported and not to long ago The Verge was reporting employees leaving with sheets of paper.(Link Above)

I do have a founding member statues with OnLive as I signed up for the beta testing way back when. I did not though get into their paid services because it was a Monthly fee and you bought the games leaving you always paying a Monthly fee and if you decide not to then you lose your bought games. So I have Steam instead, same format but no Monthly fee. All I can say is best wishes for those laid off and hopefully they can get back on their feet rather quickly.

Update: As this was being written this was updated via the Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/17/3250589/onlive-official-layoffs-statement

Statement;
We can now confirm that the assets of OnLive, Inc. have been acquired into a newly-formed company and is backed by substantial funding, and which will continue to operate the OnLive Game and Desktop services, as well as support all of OnLive's apps and devices, as well as game, productivity and enterprise partnerships. The new company is hiring a large percentage of OnLive, Inc.'s staff across all departments and plans to continue to hire substantially more people, including additional OnLive employees. All previously announced products and services, including those in the works, will continue and there is no expected interruption of any OnLive services.

We apologize that we were unable to comment on this transaction until it completed, and were limited to reporting on news related to OnLive's businesses. Now that the transaction is complete, we are able to make this statement.​
Wowzers, So somebody or a corporation has come out and bought OnLive's assets and kept things going. Of course the no naming of who or what it was that helped them out has yet to be released so of course rumors will begin to fly.

Who can it be, Microsoft, Apple, Google, EA (they have Origin and started to push out into that environment) or maybe Steam???? Only time will tell!

eelhead

I wonder how this will pan out for the OUYA console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back