i7-6700K OC @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: (original post below)
I found a nice, free PSU wattage calculator that takes into account just about everything about your rig: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

For example, for my rig (description below; plus everything else I didn't mention in the post) it recommends 419W; so I think I'll go for about 600W to be on the absolute safe side concerning upgrades-to-come and so on.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everybody,

I'll be using a GA-P55-UD3 with an i5-750, 4GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, a 9600GT 512MB and 8 (read eight; 1x 76GB, 2x 2TB, 2x 1TB, 3x 750GB) hard drives; it's going to be a media server. I am quite sure but would like to have some second opinion on whether a 700W power supply will be sufficient for this build or I should throw ten more Euros in to get an 800W PSU.
The reason why I'm asking is that my Mac Pro, under load, draws nearly 600W. OK, it sports two Xeons which draw more power each (so I believe to remember) than the i5-750, but in return there are only 4 HDs in it, compared to 8 in my hack-to-be.

What's your opinion?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2010-05-29 um 08.53.48.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2010-05-29 um 08.53.48.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 196
Re: 700W power supply sufficient for this rig?

From what I've read, each extra drive will require a maximum of 30W of additional power consumption (http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html).

You were planning on using 700W, which would mean 240W would be required for the HDDs and 460W for everything else. I think this COULD work, but I would probably opt for the 800W or more just to be safe, and to allow for future additions to your machine.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm going to go for the Super Flower Amazon 80 Plus 800W, which costs only two Euros more than the 700W sister; however, the 800W is not modular, which actually doesn't rally matter because I'll need nearly all the cables anyway. :D Plus, the cables are black fabric wrapped, so it won't look too messy in the black inside of my case when I just tuck them somewhere.
I'm kinda stuck with Super Flower because they are the cheapest 140mm fan PSUs with eight SATA power connectors. Don't want to mess with molex-SATA adaptors.

Helianthus said:
From what I've read, each extra drive will require a maximum of 30W of additional power consumption (http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html).

You were planning on using 700W, which would mean 240W would be required for the HDDs and 460W for everything else. I think this COULD work, but I would probably opt for the 800W or more just to be safe, and to allow for future additions to your machine.

hmmmm.

i dont think 8 x hard drives will surpass 80 watts even if all used simultaneously at peak levels.

check out these specks @ western digital's site for a 2tb caviar black:

"Electrical Specifications
Current Requirements
Power Dissipation
Read/Write 10.70 Watts
Idle 8.20 Watts
Standby 1.30 Watts
Sleep 1.30 Watts"

i myself am getting the Corsair HX 750 - more than i'll ever need with the hardware i'll be hooking up to it and trust me ... its a little more than flatfoots's. its quiet, has great modular design, extremely high quality build (i'm pretty sure the unit can handle more than advertised cause corsair probably went conservative on the 750W rating) so i would suggest the HX series from corsair. i've used the 620 in an older build - super quiet and stable. highly recommended. just like any other corsair product.

hope that helps..

cine

Go for Corsair as Cinematik suggested, I think that even my HX650 would be more than enough for your rig. You can't go wrong with it.:)

flatfoot said:
EDIT: (original post below)
I found a nice, free PSU wattage calculator that takes into account just about everything about your rig: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

For example, for my rig (description below; plus everything else I didn't mention in the post) it recommends 419W; so I think I'll go for about 600W to be on the absolute safe side concerning upgrades-to-come and so on.
hey flatfoot,

great find! i tried the free online tool and it is really comprehensive.

btw, i just bough the corsair hx 750 that i posted above earlier and its a thing of beauty.. again, highly recommended!

cheers!

cine.

TBH, I think most (perhaps all) of the PSU calculators out there overcompensate, because there are a lot of overrated power supplies out there, that can't even handle their rated max wattage.

Edit: OP, did you pick High RPM Sata or Regular Sata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back