Contribute
Register

Ongoing Progress - Big Sur on Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ploddles were you running under a VM before getting bare metal to work, or were you bare metal from the start?

If the former, what sort of gains are you noticing?

I tried Proxmox first but not happy with it. Bare metal is better now that we have a way to do it - new AMD patches.

** How to Use Bluetooth and WiFi with Sleep and Wake **

The Gigabyte B550 Vision D comes with an Intel AX200 WiFi/BT module. Because the Bluetooth section connects itself to an internal USB 2.0 port at PO10, the system will not wake-from-sleep when this port is enabled. Even if we replace the Intel AX200 with a Broadcom BCM94360NG, it too will connect to PO10 and once again no wake-from-sleep.

If we physically remove the WiFi/BT module from the M.2 slot and instead install a Fenvi FV-T919 or similar PCIe card, we still need to connect the 9-pin Bluetooth data cable to a USB port. Unfortunately, if we connect that 9-pin cable to one of the internal USB 2 headers, the system will again refuse to wake from sleep.

However, if we:
  • Install a USB 3.0 PCIe card such as the Inateck KT4004
  • Install Fenvi FV-T919 or similar card
  • Physically remove BCM94360NG M.2 WiFi/BT module (or keep the Intel AX200 plugged in)
  • Connect Bluetooth data cable from Fenvi to the Inateck using a 9-pin to Type A cable
  • Use a USB SSDT and kext that disables USB 2.0 ports PO9, PO10, PO11 (simply use EFI zip file in this post)
USB Cable.jpg Inateck KT4004.jpg Fenvi FV-T919.jpg
...then we get full functionality. Namely:
  • Sleep and wake work every time.
  • WiFi and Bluetooth are fully enabled.
  • Although we lose on-board USB 2 ports, we gain extra USB ports on the Inateck
This does mean that all three PCIe slots are occupied.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.24.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.30.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.31.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 9.32.20 AM.png

Last edited:
** UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST **

Even more good news...
  • It is not necessary to use an Inateck KT4004 or any other USB PCIe card.
  • Instead, we can connect the Bluetooth data cable (9-pin to Type A) directly to a USB 3.0 port on the rear IO panel and achieve the same result.
  • We should use a USB 3.0 port managed by XHC controller (not PTXH or XHC2). Refer to the USB port diagram in Post 1 for details or see image below. I currently have the Bluetooth data cable connected to XHC.PRT4.
  • This approach saves a PCIe slot.
USB Cable.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 9.36.10 AM.png

Bottom Line:
  • Everything works now except:​
    • On-board dedicated USB 2.0 ports (USB 3.x ports are okay even with USB 2.x devices). These ports were intentionally disabled to enable wake-from-sleep.​
    • Thunderbolt device connection on warm boot. Thunderbolt devices connect automatically on cold boot and hot-plug, but not on warm reboot.​

Last edited:
The next Public Beta of Big Sur is available for download, but it is erroring out for me at the moment (on every Hackintosh).

Solution: Set SecureBootModel to Disabled in Misc --> Security.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 5.54.10 PM.png

Public Beta #4:
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.43.22 PM.png

Last edited:
The next Public Beta of Big Sur is available for download, but it is erroring out for me at the moment (on every Hackintosh).

Thanks for this! Looks like public Beta and Developer Beta are on the same build number now.

Last edited:

@CaseySJ

Same error happened when I tried to download public beta 4. Total mystery to me at the time. How did you find this solution??? Trial and error?

@CaseySJ

Before I purchased my memory I checked Gigabyte's memory compatibility chart which listed this chip. In the Amazon description it states "Vengeance LPX is optimized for wide compatibility with the latest Intel and AMD DDR4 motherboards."

I've used these same chips with other hackintosh builds and have never had this discrepancy between BIOS and macOS reporting of speed.

@CaseySJ

The problem with my 3200 GHz memory chips running at 2166 GHz has miraculously been resolved.

I did move the memory to the slots you use on your MB just to see if it MIGHT make a difference -- it didn't.

Subsequently I did some other things which I wouldn't expect to make any difference to memory speed. I tried another monitor using DP instead of HDMI. I reloaded the default BIOS settings for the board and reset CSM to Disabled again. Powered the board off. Changed my EFI to enable SIP. Had played around with the ADM Power Gadget App...

The next time I dropped into BIOS, not having changed anything with the memory settings, I noticed it was now running at 3355 MHz and macOS was properly reporting the 3200 MHz speed!!

B550 BIOS.jpg

B550 Memory.png
B550_About.png

So this is now miraculously resolved!

wow.. this thread is getting so much momentum.. hope AMD is not coming out with a new chipset for the high-end Zen3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back