Contribute
Register

Ongoing Progress - Big Sur on Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
No beta versions of LR or PS yet, but probably not far away.

A couple of benchmarks for you below :-

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 17.16.00.png

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 17.15.35.png

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 17.16.46.png

@CaseySJ

As usual, you have done a FANTASTIC job creating this preliminary build guide for the B550 Vision D!

Seeing how setting up the complex EFI for this build would be beyond my capabilities, I only decided to take the plunge knowing your support would be unbelievably helpful.

My build:

Gigabyte B550 Vision D
Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair H115i Pro Liquid Cooler (from prior build)
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
16 GB x 2 Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB (from prior build, using EITHER HDMI or DP to LG 34UM88-P 34". Dual monitor works.)
M.2 NGFF WLAN BCM94360NG (as recommended)
2 x HGST 4TB HDD (from prior build)

CaseySJ has been using the public beta 3 of Big Sur. I had that on an external SSD, but decided I would try this build starting out using Catalina 10.15.6 instead. I wasn't sure whether this was going to work, but it did!

Before installing the board in the case, I easily replaced the WLAN card using CaseySJ's detailed instructions. I also decided NOT to flash the TB3 chip then since it looked like most of the functionality I needed was available un-flashed. It also looked like my case had a large enough opening to the bottom of the MB to flash the TB3 chip in the future without removing the board.

On initial startup I first upgraded ROM from F1 to F10. Then loaded "Optimized Defaults," and adjusted the BIOS setting per the recommendations.

I set up an external T5 Samsung SSD with a clone of my Z390 Designare build on Catalina 10.15.6, and used the Version 2 EFI file that was then current. I made a couple tweaks for using the RX 580, set up the Platform Info and was ready to boot.

I booted to the OC Canopy picker, selected the external SSD, the Apple logo appeared, but no progress bar. After a bit of trial and error I found the I can only boot with "CSM Support" set to "Disabled." Strange!

With that fixed, Catalina booted fine. However, after about 10 seconds the screen froze, no mouse or keyboard activity. The mouse laser was still lit. I forced a reboot and at my Catalina screen got the KP report which I had to read very quickly before the next lockup.

I determined that iStat Menus was the culprit. Removed its files from my SSD and HURRAY, no more KPs!

The Intel Power Gadget also causes a KP and has been uninstalled via its installer/deinstaller. Now to figure out how to setup AMD Power Gadget!

The only issues I noticed at that point:

1) Bluetooth was not available, and the suggested key-combo method for resetting the module wouldn't work.

2) My memory is 3200 MHz (XMP Profile 1), but System Information, and About This Mac shows the chips as 2133 MHz. (Just cosmetic - with and without XMP set in BIOS.)

3) For some reason my ethernet settings were strange - probably because of the fact I was using a cloned SSD. One ethernet port was shown as en5, the other was en7, and WiFi was en0. Prior experience indicated that one of the ethernet ports needed to be at en0. After considerable effort removing all network ports, deleting numerous Library preference files, rebooting, etc., the best I could get was WiFi at en0, ethernet at en1, and en2. With these settings I can still log into the App Store, so apparently no side-effects noticed YET. (Any suggested fixes would be appreciated.)

At that point most everything seemed functional, and CaseySJ had released his Version 3 EFI. I installed it with the required tweaking on my T5 external Catalina SSD, and things worked better.

Bluetooth was now working, but memory continued to report 2133 MHz.

I then decided to venture booting with my external SSD containing public beta 3 of Big Sur. As expected it also booted fine with the Version 3 EFI.

I then cloned my Catalina 10.15.6 to the internal Sabrent Rocket SSD. I subsequently used Apple's 10.15.7 updater file to update the Rocket SSD to 10.15.7 without incident. (I don't know how reported problems with 10.15.7 will affect this build.)

Unfortunately it seems cloning from my external SSD with public beta 3 Big Sur to the Rocket SSD is not currently possible.

I would like to set up the Rocket SSD to dual boot both Catalina and public beta 3 Big Sur. But I'm in the boondocks with only HughesNet satellite service available. They advertise as "high speed" 25 Mbps, but apparently currently cap the service at a paltry 5 Mbps. It takes literally hours to download files from Apple (and other) servers.

Yesterday it took 1:45 hours to download the 8 GB public beta 3 Big Sur to the Rocket. Then after apparently starting the install, it threw up a message that there was a network failure! No downloaded file to recover!!!??? I gave up as these files burn up my monthly download cap. (I think the installer gagged because I was trying to install BS in the same Container as Catalina, instead of creating a new Container for BS.)

So everything seems to be working (of course excepting sleep, and un-flashed TB3). I'll be following further developments here.

Major thanks to CaseySJ for his massive pioneering efforts to get this Rizentosh working so well. I couldn't have done this build otherwise!

@NCMacGuy,

Good to see another B550 Vision D owner! Some comments and questions:
  • Now you see why I generally advise fresh installs. This is particularly true when the processor changes from Intel to AMD.
  • Does sleep and wake work in Catalina?
  • In my case, memory speed is shown as 3600 MHz (ignore the "Processor" field). In BIOS, XMP Profile 1 is selected, and Memory Multiplier is set to Auto.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 10.22.14 AM.png
  • Did your BCM94360NG come in a Fenvi package?
  • Is the Corsair H115i silent or at least whisper quiet?
  • Carbon Copy Cloner cannot yet make a fully bootable backup of Big Sur, so we would need to install Big Sur from scratch. We can do this from Catalina:
    • System Preferences --> Software Update (after enrolling the computer in Big Sur beta program)
    • Create 1 new partition on the Rocket NVMe SSD and format it as APFS.
    • Give it the name Big Sur or something appropriate.
    • When the Big Sur installer downloads and starts, just select the new Big Sur partition. MacOS 11 will then be installed on that partition.
    • (Make a bootable backup of Catalina before doing this.)
  • Boondocks with Hughes Satellite WiFi? Ouch!! :) Maybe drive to a nearby Starbucks and park real close to the building? Or drive to the office or to a friend's or relative's home if they have fast WiFi?
  • Regarding AMD Power Gadget, it should work if these two kexts are enabled:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 10.52.12 AM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Responding to your questions regarding my build.

I did a fresh install of Catalina in a new "Container" on the internal Rocket SSD in preparation for downloading ANOTHER public beta copy. That install can wait for a while until I feel more confident about the drag on my HughesNet data cap. Both the "virgin" and "cloned" copies of Catalina on the Rocket SSD perform the same.

The memory report is still wrong with the fresh Catalina install and the SSD with the public beta Big Sur.

BIOS XMP is set to Profile 1 and XMP High Frequency Support is "Auto." The memory is properly displayed in BIOS so it is properly recognized in BIOS, just not macOS.

Sleep does not work. Selecting "Sleep" with the "virgin" copy of Catalina causes the video signal to stop, and the monitor sleeps. USB power to the keyboard and mouse stop. However, the fans on the case continue to spin and I suspect the MB remains powered on. If I hit a keyboard key nothing happens. If I click the mouse it eventually lights up, but the monitor continues to sleep. I have to reboot, and sometimes a KP is reported:

KP from Sleep.png

Yes the BCM94360NG did come in Fenvi packaging.

Yes the Corsair H115i is very quiet. I have a Rosewill Cullinan PX case which has two large fans on the front, and an auxiliary fan on the back which in my opinion are quiet, and the H115i dual fans against that background are inaudible. The fan in my NUC7 and my Synology server nearby make any fan noise from the Rosewill case inaudible.

The two AMD kexts are enabled for AMD Power Gadget. I just never figured out how to get the app from Github. I didn't fully comprehend your writeup on it. With my slow satellite internet Github moves like a glacier! :) I'll try again. I did notice that in public beta 3 of Big Sur, iStats Menu is mostly working.

Thanks for your time and support.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I FINALLY found the page on Github to download AMD Power Gadget. Unfortunately, at 4:50 PM EDT my "High Speed Internet" via HughesNet is going to take an hour to download a 6 MB file! I'll try again around 6 AM tomorrow.

Perhaps you could add the direct link in your post to make it a little easier to find?

@CaseySJ

I FINALLY found the page on Github to download AMD Power Gadget. Unfortunately, at 4:50 PM EDT my "High Speed Internet" via HughesNet is going to take an hour to download a 6 MB file! I'll try again around 6 AM tomorrow.

Perhaps you could add the direct link in your post to make it a little easier to find?
That link is already present; please see:
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.27.27 PM.png

@NCMacGuy,

The DIMMs I'm using in this system are these (originally from NewEgg, but not in stock at this time). Note that the title says "Intel/AMD Ready".

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.34.49 PM.png

No, bare metal is now possible.

@Ploddles were you running under a VM before getting bare metal to work, or were you bare metal from the start?

If the former, what sort of gains are you noticing?

@NCMacGuy,

The DIMMs I'm using in this system are these (originally from NewEgg, but not in stock at this time). Note that the title says "Intel/AMD Ready".

@CaseySJ

Before I purchased my memory I checked Gigabyte's memory compatibility chart which listed this chip. In the Amazon description it states "Vengeance LPX is optimized for wide compatibility with the latest Intel and AMD DDR4 motherboards."

I've used these same chips with other hackintosh builds and have never had this discrepancy between BIOS and macOS reporting of speed.

I compared the BIOS settings for the same Vengeance LPX memory in my Z390 Designare and the B550 Vision D.

The Vision D below shows the proper chip description. I changed the "System Memory Multiplier" value to see if that made any difference in macOS, and it still showed 2133 MHz.

Notice that the BIOS reports Memory in the right column as 2138 MHz, the same as macOS is reporting.

B550 Tweaker.jpg

For my Z390 Desginare hackintosh the BIOS reports the same chip, "System Memory Multiplier" set at "Auto" shows a value of 3200, and the "Memory" value in the right column shows 3200 MHz which is the value that macOS also shows.

Z390 Designare Tweaker.jpg

Comparing the way both BIOS handle this chip it looks like there may be a bug in how the B550 BIOS handles this memory.

What does your "Tweaker" window show in your B550? I assume the proper value in the "Memory" column.

A support request has been submitted to Gigabyte over this issue.

Last edited:
Yes I do see 3600 MHz in BIOS. My CPU and Memory happen to be running at exactly the same frequency (3606.48 MHz).

200930003537.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back