Contribute
Register

Ongoing Progress - Big Sur on Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening (here in the UK) or morning (for you in California) @CaseySJ

I have seen your post re getting sleep working by disabling a few USB ports. :clap:

When I boot Catalina and run IORegistryExplore and save the file I get a significantly different file size than when I run it on Big Sur (about 4MB difference).

When I then run Hackintool and have a look at the USB section, again there is a massive difference between Catalina and Big Sur. All with the same OC 0.6.1 config.plist (no USB related SSDTs loaded).

The first image below is from Big Sur and the other 2 from Catalina - it needed 2 images to be able to see all the listing in Catalina.

Do you know if this is expected or is there a (big?) problem somewhere with my system?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

View attachment 489150View attachment 489152View attachment 489153

The OS shouldn't be affecting your ports. It may be that you need to clear the Hackintool's buffer. You can clear then refresh the buffer as shown below.

Image 1, a fresh run on my laptop before clearing:

HackintoolUSB-1.jpg

Image 2, same laptop, after clicking on the broom (clear) and then the circle (refresh):

HackintoolUSB-2.jpg

EDIT:
You can contact me on fabiosun's thread for USB SSDT's (where I've previously uploaded for other TRX40 users, since TRX40 SSDTs would be going off topic on this thread). I use them all the time without issue.

I sent you the SSDT's based on your IORE file via a PM.

-iGPU

Last edited:
Speculation Zone:
  • It seems as if the USB driver is not doing this correctly -- maybe because AMD's USB host controller behaves differently from Intel's?
  • Alternatively, we know that Intel's USB implementation has been quirky. So if macOS is handling those quirks in an Intel-specific way, then those quirks may not be working on non-Intel chipset-based USB controllers.
  • I wonder if USB 2.0 drivers from Linux can be ported to macOS in the same way that Intel WiFi and Intel Bluetooth drivers from Linux are being ported...
  • Again, this is speculation -- but that's all we have right now.

Point 1: You are not alone in that assumption.
Point 2: Ditto, and it's not just Intel but Apple as well.
Point 3: This has been suggested yet to my knowledge no one has attempted a port.
Point 4: My suggestion is looking at other boards from the same vendor that are known to have working sleep (i.e. sleep is reported as working natively on the most 300 and 400 series Gigabyte boards).

Something to consider. There have been reports from users that sleep working OOB (both auto and manual) on Gigabyte 500 series boards by using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse (USB dongle) and nothing else plugged in. In my case, sleep works for me if I have nothing plugged in and let auto do it's thing, with the system waking fine if I plug a device in.

Some Updates:
  • The Laird BT851 Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle works natively in macOS Big Sur with no drivers needed.
  • It will work in either a USB 2 or USB 3 port. We will need to disable USB port PO10 (the USB 2 hub) on which the internal Bluetooth module is connected.
  • Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, etc. all work.
  • Unfortunately, wake-from-sleep does not work whether we insert the dongle into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.
    • More specifically, only one wake-from-sleep cycle will work. The next sleep will not be wake-able.
    • On both USB 2 and USB 3 ports, we must set the Type to 255 (Internal) otherwise the system will not enter sleep. Type 255 tells macOS not to suspend the device during sleep. If the Bluetooth dongle were suspended, it would not be able to handle wake-from-Bluetooth.

Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, etc. all work.
This is very cool!!
But we don’t need WiFi enable too to make theses functionalities to work?
Unfortunately, wake-from-sleep does not work whether we insert the dongle into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.
What about to add PCIe card with USB ports then connect our usb devices there?

Last edited:
Yes I've had that PCIe card in my Amazon cart for the past 2 days! Time to check out? ;)

Update: Okay, it will arrive on Monday. Here's the card -- these are pretty rare today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VY53ZK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Niiice! Thank you

Look the price of Laird BT dongle in France... :silent:
I would like to buy it but before can you check the distance where devices are still connected to Bluetooth please? With my AirPods Pro connected to Fenvi its only 2/3 feet, and its very unstable

Capture d’écran 2020-09-25 à 22.21.40.png

So seems like we don't need fenvi card for our Z390/490 build?
All we need is BT 851 + wifi/usb dongle and we are good to go?
Of course fenvi card has higher bandwidth, but as far as function goes, we are good?

Some Updates:
  • The Laird BT851 Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle works natively in macOS Big Sur with no drivers needed.
  • It will work in either a USB 2 or USB 3 port. We will need to disable USB port PO10 (the USB 2 hub) on which the internal Bluetooth module is connected.
  • Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop, etc. all work.
  • Unfortunately, wake-from-sleep does not work whether we insert the dongle into a USB 2 or USB 3 port.
    • More specifically, only one wake-from-sleep cycle will work. The next sleep will not be wake-able.
    • On both USB 2 and USB 3 ports, we must set the Type to 255 (Internal) otherwise the system will not enter sleep. Type 255 tells macOS not to suspend the device during sleep. If the Bluetooth dongle were suspended, it would not be able to handle wake-from-Bluetooth.

All the USB dongles I've seen work with macOS don't use the native drivers Apple ships with the OS. They use 3rd party drivers from the co. that sells the dongle. It's much better to have a natively supported Broadcom wifi card. I've never tried but I don't think continuity and handoff would work with a USB wifi dongle.

Look the price of Laird BT dongle in France... :silent:
I would like to buy it but before can you check the distance where devices are still connected to Bluetooth please? With my AirPods Pro connected to Fenvi its only 2/3 feet, and its very unstable
Note that it says BT 4.2 and not 5.0 will that make any difference in how it performs with macOS ?

Screen Shot 23.jpg

All we need is BT 851 + wifi/usb dongle and we are good to go?
Of course fenvi card has higher bandwidth, but as far as function goes, we are good?
No!!!

Please see this:

Similar post coming for Designare Z390.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back