Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello,
I have read somewhere that some applications requieres daily upgrades from the internet and thus are a risk for sdd drive (related to fragmentation). From that, some were advising to install the system core one a sdd drive while installing the /home partition and the application on another one, sdd if wished. What do you guys think about that ? I have read that you use dual sdd for dual os (which is logic) but would you split a unique OS onto two sdd ? If not, with one OS is there an utility in using two sdd ?
Alex

BreBo

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600 / RX 580
@justthesheriff, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
So any thought on the ssd question ?

Don't believe everything you read, it's all nonsense.

Although SSDs do suffer from wear, a modern SSD will probably take a decade to wear out, if that, under normal usage. Unless you're running massive databases that have huge numbers of transactions processed each day, you'll be fine. You'll buy a new, faster, better drive a long time before the old one wears out.

Even if what you say about applications is true (it's not), how does spreading wear over two SSD help? You've gone to a lot of trouble to put things on different SSDs and they will be worn out at exactly the same rate, except spread over 2 SSDs. It's like saying you need two sets of tires for your car, becuase they wear out, and you need to change them every week. Yes, they will take twice as long to wear out, just like two sets of tires used one after the other set wears out, the only difference is you will have hurt yourself changing them every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.