Contribute
Register

one sleep/wake solution for z77 ep5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I use this forum to find so many solutions, I thought I'd add some stuff after going crazy.

Mountain Lion 10.8.1 on:
gigabyte z77-up5th
i3770k
gt 640
32 GB 1600 ram
ocz SSD
startech FW 400/800

Multibeast 5.0.1

System has been running great. then... not. Waking from sleep caused a frozen screen with message about an unplugged drive. this has been driving me crazy and I have blamed various things, reinstalled -- the usual.
I found the solution was to lower my (overclocked at stock voltage) cpu back to the stock speed. I had it running at various speeds up to 4.2 (on a stock cooler, which is why I didn't go higher) But right now, I can't get it to budge beyond 3.5 without causing a sleep problem.

Why??? I haven't figured out and I don't really like, considering it's a "k" chip.

I just wanted to put this out here...
Solution and a problem. :)

** In order to get this board to overclock and also wake from sleep with USB working... The PLL voltage control has to be disabled in the bios. That seemed to do it. I'm currently at 4.5 GHZ on a 3770k (with a NH-D14 Cooler) at stock voltages and everything has been running fine. (fingers crossed)

And your Graphic Card is now working well? Slleep/Wake, No freeze etc.. ?

Yes, everything works perfectly... as in YAY! :)

nitpicking...
The only things that doesn't work, as far as I can tell, is Wake from Lan. I am hoping to see this resolved because I use Apple Remote Desktop and while I can put the computer to sleep via ARD, I can't wake it back up. This might not be an issue that 90 percent of people ever need to deal with.
This is a MB specific issue; my other hackinstosh (an ep45ds3l/q6600) wakes and sleeps via ARD just fine.
But I suppose this is getting a bit off topic.

I have the same setup and I am not over clocking at the moment, are you all experiencing the "this devices was not ejected properly" when you wake it? Because I am and I am unable to find a fix.

Life is Good!
Now, if someone can figure out Wake on Lan and how to stop that occasional popping sound from the audio, it would be a perfect Hackintosh MB.

There is a solution to the popping but you would have to either a) switch to Macpro3,1 or use a USB sound card/speakers. This is what I have done and its stopped the popping while still running Imac12,2.

Yes, everything works perfectly... as in YAY! :)

nitpicking...
The only things that doesn't work, as far as I can tell, is Wake from Lan. I am hoping to see this resolved because I use Apple Remote Desktop and while I can put the computer to sleep via ARD, I can't wake it back up. This might not be an issue that 90 percent of people ever need to deal with.
This is a MB specific issue; my other hackinstosh (an ep45ds3l/q6600) wakes and sleeps via ARD just fine.
But I suppose this is getting a bit off topic.

I would like WOL to work as well.

All this is predicated on using the F9 bios.
If you're getting that message and you lose USB keyboard, functionality etc. - then you seemingly have the same problem. In fact, it's not just about overclocking - it's if pretty much anyting is not at default status in the bios.

Have you tried disabling the PLL overvoltage?
For me (and I guess others) that solved the issues - and allowed overclocking and other bios tweaks.

Try resetting the Bios to it's optimized defaults.

Yes, I have a FW firewire card that does work fine. It would just be nice to get the internal stuff working. Changing to the Mac 3,1 ID didn't solve the problem for me.

Since I use this forum to find so many solutions, I thought I'd add some stuff after going crazy.

Mountain Lion 10.8.1 on:
gigabyte z77-up5th
i3770k
gt 640
32 GB 1600 ram
ocz SSD
startech FW 400/800

Multibeast 5.0.1

System has been running great. then... not. Waking from sleep caused a frozen screen with message about an unplugged drive. this has been driving me crazy and I have blamed various things, reinstalled -- the usual.
I found the solution was to lower my (overclocked at stock voltage) cpu back to the stock speed. I had it running at various speeds up to 4.2 (on a stock cooler, which is why I didn't go higher) But right now, I can't get it to budge beyond 3.5 without causing a sleep problem.

Why??? I haven't figured out and I don't really like, considering it's a "k" chip.

I just wanted to put this out here...
Solution and a problem. :)

** In order to get this board to overclock and also wake from sleep with USB working... The PLL voltage control has to be disabled in the bios. That seemed to do it. I'm currently at 4.5 GHZ on a 3770k (with a NH-D14 Cooler) at stock voltages and everything has been running fine. (fingers crossed)

I have also the sleep problem with overclocked settings!
sadly, i can't set the PLL voltage to "Disable" in bios, i can only set to "Auto" or "Manual". any help is welcome.

thanks

On the Z77-UP5TH (bios F9) it can be found in
M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features
INTERNAL CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE = DISABLED

This is also the same page where you can set your clock ratios more specifically.

I disabled PLL but my system still can't sleep without using the PleaseSleep app. I've noticed everyone in this thread is using a graphics card - does this not work with onboard HD 4000?

There is a solution to the popping but you would have to either a) switch to Macpro3,1 or use a USB sound card/speakers. This is what I have done and its stopped the popping while still running Imac12,2.

Previous version osx popping sound can be fixed by Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup and setting to 2ch-16bit integer. Try lower freq as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back