Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
one sleep/wake solution for z77 up5th

Since I use this forum to find so many solutions, I thought I'd add some stuff after going crazy.

Mountain Lion 10.8.1 on:
gigabyte z77-up5th
i3770k
gt 640
32 GB 1600 ram
ocz SSD
startech FW 400/800

Multibeast 5.0.1

System has been running great. then... not. Waking from sleep caused a frozen screen with message about an unplugged drive. this has been driving me crazy and I have blamed various things, reinstalled -- the usual.
I found the solution was to lower my (overclocked at stock voltage) cpu back to the stock speed. I had it running at various speeds up to 4.2 (on a stock cooler, which is why I didn't go higher) But right now, I can't get it to budge beyond 3.5 without causing a sleep problem.

Why??? I haven't figured out and I don't really like, considering it's a "k" chip.

I just wanted to put this out here...
Solution and a problem. :)

** In order to get this board to overclock and also wake from sleep with USB working... The PLL voltage control has to be disabled in the bios. That seemed to do it. I'm currently at 4.5 GHZ on a 3770k (with a NH-D14 Cooler) at stock voltages and everything has been running fine. (fingers crossed)

Based on research (not on this board) there doesn't seem to be a downside until you go into overclocking territory > 4.6 GHZ.

Since I'm stopping at 4.5 and staying with stock voltages, ( the system really gets hot beyond that, even with an nh-d14 cooler) I don't 'think' it's a problem... I've been using the system pretty balls-to-the-wall for the past couple days (c4d and After Effects) and haven't had any problems... These are pretty serious system stressers, and I haven't had any problems so far. The i3770k chip sure does heat the place up though.

Good to hear! I'll keep you posted if I run into any issues. I have just a mild OC of 4.2 GHz. I think this is a major win, and takes our Hackintoshes to the next level. Thanks once again!

Gopal

I'm having the same issue on a very similar build (same cpu, same mobo) and I have having trouble finding where to disable PLL in Bios (version F8). Is it possible to post a screen cap or image of where I can disable?

I'm having the same issue on a very similar build (same cpu, same mobo) and I have having trouble finding where to disable PLL in Bios (version F8). Is it possible to post a screen cap or image of where I can disable?

I agree, would be very helpful!

thanks

On the Z77-UP5TH (bios F9) it can be found in
M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features
INTERNAL CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE = DISABLED

This is also the same page where you can set your clock ratios more specifically.

On the Z77-UP5TH (bios F9) it can be found in
M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features
INTERNAL CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE = DISABLED

This is also the same page where you can set your clock ratios more specifically.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I updated the BIOS to F9, found the setting, changed to disabled and sleep/wake now functions properly.

Also of note, I don't believe any option to change this PLL Overclocking exists in version F8 for the Z77-UP5TH, so it's probably imperative to update to version F9.

Life is Good!
Now, if someone can figure out Wake on Lan and how to stop that occasional popping sound from the audio, it would be a perfect Hackintosh MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back