Contribute
Register

One partition for backup, one for storage. Would it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z7N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i3 3225
Graphics
Intel graphics HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
SOLVED One partition for backup, one for storage. Would it work?

Hello guys!

I got a question about partitioning my current hdd. I'm currently running Mavericks on a regular 1tb hdd. Lately I've been thinking about getting a ssd and install Yosemite on it.

I want to split my current partition on my current hdd in two. One including my currently working os x Mavericks installation as a backup, and the other partition will be used for storage in Yosemite. Is it possible to this? Would it work as I want it to?

Best regards :)

Last edited:
Hello guys!

I got a question about partitioning my current hdd. I'm currently running Mavericks on a regular 1tb hdd. Lately I've been thinking about getting a ssd and install Yosemite on it.

I want to split my current partition on my current hdd in two. One including my currently working os x Mavericks installation as a backup, and the other partition will be used for storage in Yosemite. Is it possible to this? Would it work as I want it to?

Best regards :)

If the question is "Is the repartitioning is possible or not?" then the answer is "It is definitely possible".

You can achieve this through Disk Utility.

Note:-Resizing the mounted boot volumes isn’t always the best idea, why because there’s a tiny potential something could go wrong. So before you trying to resizing the partitions, be sure to backup your all data using Time Machine or whatever other backup software you would like to use.

If the question is "Is the repartitioning is possible or not?" then the answer is "It is definitely possible".

You can achieve this through Disk Utility.

Note:-Resizing the mounted boot volumes isn’t always the best idea, why because there’s a tiny potential something could go wrong. So before you trying to resizing the partitions, be sure to backup your all data using Time Machine or whatever other backup software you would like to use.

Thank you for your time.

No, maybe I was unclear. I meant that i want to have two partitions on my non-boot drive (which i know works). One for storage and one that contains a backup of a working OS X installation. My questions is if it is possible to change to the backup if the main SSD for some reason fails and boot from this? And at the same time use the second partition to store things on when running the SSD with the Yosemite installation?

Thank you for your time.

No, maybe I was unclear. I meant that i want to have two partitions on my non-boot drive (which i know works). One for storage and one that contains a backup of a working OS X installation.

Currently is the HDD have a running OS X ?? If it having a running OS X then as i mentioned on post#2, it is a boot volume.

My questions is if it is possible to change to the backup if the main SSD for some reason fails and boot from this?

Have bit confusion here. As per my understanding, now you have 1 TB HDD with Mavericks running on it. And the HDD only have 1 Partition where the Mavericks installed.

Now you want to install Yosemite on an another SSD, and want to make two partitions on the 1 TB HDD. First partition need to contain the already running Mavericks and the second partition for storing datas.

Am i right??

Currently is the HDD have a running OS X ?? If it having a running OS X then as i mentioned on post#2, it is a boot volume.

Have bit confusion here. As per my understanding, now you have 1 TB HDD with Mavericks running on it. And the HDD only have 1 Partition where the Mavericks installed.

Now you want to install Yosemite on an another SSD, and want to make two partitions on the 1 TB HDD. First partition need to contain the already running Mavericks and the second partition for storing datas.

Am i right??

Yes, it the HDD is currently running OS X Mavericks and is a boot volume.

Yes your'e right! Is it possible?

Yes it is possible. But before performing these operation backup important datas from the HDD.

You'll have a similar configuration as I have on my H77n-Wifi, SSD for OS X, 2TB set into three partitions, OS X bootable backup. I use another partition for Storage, this can stay untouched and used for both OS X installations, and a test partition as seen in the screen shot.
Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 15.21.30.png

Yes it is possible. But before performing these operation backup important datas from the HDD.

Great. I most certainly will, thank you!

You'll have a similar configuration as I have on my Z77n-Wifi, SSD for OS X, 2TB set into three partitions, OS X bootable backup. I use another partition for Storage, this can stay untouched and used for both OS X installations, and a test partition as seen in the screen shot.
View attachment 131230

That looks neat! Installed Yosemite on an old HDD i had laying around just to try, works very well so far. Will soon order a SSD I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back