Contribute
Register

One Day Old Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Shut Down During Mavericks Installation - Won't Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likely motherboard or faulty PSU. Defective CPU is rare (although it happens, as my prior experience proves).

Since I already replaced the PSU and it only solved the problem for about 10 minutes, it must be the motherboard. I've exhausted all other possibilities, except the CPU.

Is there a way to check the CPU specifically, other than putting it in a known working system?

Since I already replaced the PSU and it only solved the problem for about 10 minutes, it must be the motherboard. I've exhausted all other possibilities, except the CPU.

Is there a way to check the CPU specifically, other than putting it in a known working system?

In many cases, the symptoms are the same with no way to determine causation without experimentation. As a result, you swap out the component most likely at fault first.

Hello again!

I finally ordered a new motherboard and installed a copy of Windows 8 to do some stress tests on the build as you'd suggested. Everything running smoothly so far. Fingers crossed

I'm running a 4770K @3.5GHz with some Arctic Silver 5 and the stock Intel cooler.

I ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes, and noticed that almost every single core was spiking up to 100˚ Celsius. This seems incredibly high. Is that normal?

Thanks

Hello all,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm having one more small issue.

The computer is running and working exactly as expected, thanks to all of the help everyone here on Tonymac. Unfortunately, the only thing not working is the sleep function in Mavericks 10.9.3.

When I sleep the computer, the display shuts off and the fans continue to spin for about fifteen seconds, and then shut off. About two seconds after shutting down, the computer starts up again, fans spinning full speed, and the only way to stop them is to restart the computer.

I've tried changing the timeout flag from 2 to 6, (I read it worked for someone else on the forums) adding DarkWake 0, 10, and No flags, and changing the system definitions to iMac 12,2, which caused my system to fail to boot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hello all,

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm having one more small issue.

The computer is running and working exactly as expected, thanks to all of the help everyone here on Tonymac. Unfortunately, the only thing not working is the sleep function in Mavericks 10.9.3.

When I sleep the computer, the display shuts off and the fans continue to spin for about fifteen seconds, and then shut off. About two seconds after shutting down, the computer starts up again, fans spinning full speed, and the only way to stop them is to restart the computer.

I've tried changing the timeout flag from 2 to 6, (I read it worked for someone else on the forums) adding DarkWake 0, 10, and No flags, and changing the system definitions to iMac 12,2, which caused my system to fail to boot.

Any ideas?

Disable Wake On LAN in BIOS

System Preferences - Energy Saver - Deselect Wake for Network Access

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back