Graphics
GT640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This a G5 conversion I recently completed for a friend. He does digital music composing and was having storage issues using his Mac-Mini. He uses Massive and Logic Pro so I thought he would be better with a cool machine. And blue is cool!

I started with a G5 case in very nice condition with just a few light scratches. I modified the rear IO using an aluminum motherboard tray and back panel from Lian Li. I cut the top shelf to accept an ATX 700 watt power supply from Cooler Master. It is held in place with a small bracket and bolt.

I bought a fan bracket for some sort of Norco server and modified it to hold two 120 mm Blue LED front fans with rubber mounts.These plug into one of the four fan headers on this motherboard. I also installed a Blue LED 120mm fan inside the power supply, and a 80mm blue LED aluminum fan on the rear IO (can you tell I like blue leds) I went low tech with the HDD mounts by just mounting the to the floor of the case with thumbscrews.
Power leads from the 700 watt modular power supply are routed under the motherboard tray for a clean look.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H socket 1155. Based on advise from the many web sources this board is the most OSX compatible. It worked right of the box with just a few bios clicks. I used a Celeron 1610 Ivy Bridge 2.6 processor to test the build. I was going to upgrade to an i-5 processor for any serious work. This board can take up to 32 GBs of DDR3 1600 memory

The front panel IO is fully functional. I bought a custom built cable from a guy called Alohacab from one of Hackintosh forums. This cable makes the entire front panel operational. you can even enable the front firewire 400 1394 socket. You can check out his website at G5cable.com for more details. This cable was not cheap, ($48) but it was well worth the cost

Finally I used some faux black carbon fiber vinyl to spruce up the inside. Then I put a piece on the top to protect it from coffee cups. I got a little carried away with the leftover vinyl wrap and did the both sides.

So That is "Ole Blue" Unfortunately Nate lost his job and didn't have the ducats to finish, so I recently sold the case on eBay. I listed it with a $350 Buy-It-Now and it was sold in a few hours. I think I under priced it. On a different note . doesn't anyone leave feedback on eBay anymore. I have no idea how the dude liked the case because he was too lazy to leave feedback!

I have a similar dual boot machine running both OSX 10.9.3 and Windows 7 Pro . This has been a great hobby for me

Attachments

• IMG_4872.jpg
    IMG_4872.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 2,179
  • IMG_4862.jpg
    IMG_4862.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 1,815
  • IMG_4853.jpg
    IMG_4853.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 1,878
  • IMG_4850.jpg
    IMG_4850.jpg
    876.9 KB · Views: 1,664
  • IMG_4846.jpg
    IMG_4846.jpg
    890.8 KB · Views: 1,555
  • IMG_4843.jpg
    IMG_4843.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4835.jpg
    IMG_4835.jpg
    986.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_4822.jpg
    IMG_4822.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_4817.jpg
    IMG_4817.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_4803.jpg
    IMG_4803.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 1,043
Very cool. I never really liked how LEDs worked inside the G5 cases, but yours makes me think otherwise. Very impressive mod. Love the G5 backplate above the exhaust fan!

thats a nice mod :thumbup: well done i love it :headbang:

You did a neat work and a nice mod! :thumbup: However that blue light it looks horrible :thumbdown: (no offense at all), but this is a workstation..... just let blue or other color lights to gaming stuff.

neobayer - I for one do not agree with ppcnostalgic, the blue LEDs are acceptable in my opinion.

I subscribe in doing these mods to please yourself which is what I am doing in all of my current creations.

For a long time I used only white or blue LEDs for power and HDD activity but now I am in a Red LED phase and I am actively adding side panel windows and display lights.

And thank you for posting your project as I do enjoy seeing what others are doing.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back