Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 3060 MFF
CPU
i5-8500T
Graphics
HD 630
So I'm eyeing a mid 2014 MBP with core i7, yes a REAL mac. But I don't really need a laptop, and with apple pricing, the MacPros start at $3k!!! What would be a comparably spec older MacPro before they switched over to the trashcan design? Like a 2010 MacPro Intel Xeon X5650 or 2012 Xeon E5645 or something similar?

I do some photo editing, light video editing. I have an aging Core i5 750 DIY 'tosh that really need an upgrade. But I have no need for a laptop. Putting together another DIY machine is too time consuming for me at the point. What would be a reason not to go for an used MacPro? How do I know which one would give me similar performance to the 2014 MBP i7?

Forget the the MBP if you don't need a laptop. You'll still pay ~$1500-$2000 for the last edition of the cMP (classic Mac Pro), and you'll probably have to upgrade the graphics card if the cMP you buy doesn't have at least a GTX 680 graphics card. I recommend you research the threads Mac Pro forum section at MacRumors as there you'll get the "lay of the land" with the cMPs and upgrades.

BTW, I've got a 2008 cMP 3,1 with upgraded with memory, a SSD with a PCIe adapter and a 7950 graphics card, which is a PC card burned with a EFI BIOS to make it work like an Apple 7950. I also have a 2010 cMP 5,1 upgraded with memory and a SSD with a PCIe adapter; the Apple HD 5770 graphics card still does the job for my needs. You'll find out how to the upgrades at MacRumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back