Contribute
Register

Older Asus Thunderbolt AiC supported in most recent MoBo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is anybody here who has tested whether a ThunderboltEX II Card is supported by current Asus motherboards with latest firmware? The most logical combo would be using a EX 3 AiC, tho. I have an Asus Prime z370-a motherboard with no AiC to it, yet. I am about to pick one soon.

I am asking bc I own two Apple TB-Displays with of course the original TB connectors, which the EX 3 AiC doesn't have anymore. So, being able to connect those puppies to my customac I'd also have to buy two of those expensive TB3->TB2 adapters, which to me seems easier solved by just pick the older card and no adapters at all. I do not need nor do I have hardware for full throttle TB 3 speeds to external storage or such. Only graphics to the two TB displays.

Is it good/bad/terrible to mix vendors here? Let's say pick a Gigabyte AiC for this Asus motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@letsbuildahackintosh,

If ASUS' web site doesn't state the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card is compatible with a motherboard and the motherboard doesn't have a Thunderbolt header, then, no, it is not compatible. A ASUS motherboard with a Thunderbolt header is required because it will have a BIOS update to support the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@letsbuildahackintosh,

If ASUS' web site doesn't state the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card is compatible with a motherboard and the motherboard doesn't have a Thunderbolt header, then, no, it is not compatible. A ASUS motherboard with a Thunderbolt header is required because it will have a BIOS update to support the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card.

Oh yes, forgot to mention: this Asus mobo is thunderbolt capable, has the 5-lead TB_HEADER and Thunderbolt BIOS settings.

Asus' website does show both their AiC EX III on a separate product page, saying that that particular MoBo does support the III, as well als their EX II on a different page, not knowing my MoBo (because when that page was written my board didn't exist, yet). So this doesn't carry the answer whether or not my board will support the II.

Going on, Asus has a Qualified Vendor List (QVL) to that motherboard containing all (presumably tested) 3rd party and Asus' own stuff. Sadly, even on that list no TB card appeared to which that MoBo shall be compatible. They must have forgotten TB at all.

So I am curious if someone can help out with first hand experience reg. the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oh yes, forgot to mention: this Asus mobo is thunderbolt capable, has the 5-lead TB_HEADER and Thunderbolt BIOS settings.

Asus' website does show both their AiC EX III on a separate product page, saying that that particular MoBo does support the III, as well als their EX II on a different page, not knowing my MoBo (because when that page was written my board didn't exist, yet). So this doesn't carry the answer whether or not my board will support the II.

Going on, Asus has a Qualified Vendor List (QVL) to that motherboard containing all (presumably tested) 3rd party and Asus' own stuff. Sadly, even on that list no TB card appeared to which that MoBo shall be compatible. They must have forgotten TB at all.

So I am curious if someone can help out with first hand experience reg. the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card.
I recommend you contact ASUS support to confirm as to your motherboard's compatibility with the ThunderboltEX II PCIe card.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro

I have the same MB as you, and had nothing but trouble with the Asus card. It would randomly disappear from MacOS, and even caused a couple blue screens in Windows 10.

I replaced it with the gigabyte card and while not perfect, is much better.

I know you asked about the TB 2 version, but thought I would share my trouble with the Asus card in general.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the same MB as you, and had nothing but trouble with the Asus card. It would randomly disappear from MacOS, and even caused a couple blue screens in Windows 10.

I know you asked about the TB 2 version, but thought I would share my trouble with the Asus card in general.
Which Gigabyte card? I ask because I've tried to make the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card work in MyHero with no success.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Thanks @revmedia ! That's exactly the kind of 1st hand experience I was hoping for. Weird that you have more trouble with the same-vendor-combo than with the mixed one, tho.

Saying "not perfect but much better" what do you mean by that a bit more in detail? Is it still causing kernel panics but less often? Or none at all but performance is bad? Stalls occur? Do you have Apple TB Display in your setup? If yes, how do thy struggle?

To me, connecting storage isn't that important, I'm mainly interested in running the TB Displays as smoothly as possible. I've heard hot-plug is an issue. That is also something I could give up for stability once they're connected.

Thinking forward, is it true that once a TB Display works with a certain mobo AiC combo, do all of its features run altogether? (graphics, network interface, audio-out, usb hub, cam, mic) I (naively) imagine that once the hardware layer is established, the macOS kexts and daemons kick in and do their TB business as they do on apple hw. I own a 2011 Mini running TB for years now w/o problems.

Please, nobody feel pressed to answer all of my many questions :) I'm just hacking them together as they come to my mind. I'd be happy to hear ideas, solutions, pointers to threads, etc to complete my picture. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.