Contribute
Register

Old Socket 775 What's the newest OS I can install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just can't seem to boot catalina with clover. I fitted the gt710 gpu it starts to boot gets halfway and reboots again.
Is a dx2400 my with gt710 and q9450 even compatible with Catalina?? Just to confirm this is another build and not my main system listed.
Clover won't do the job of booting Catalina am afraid. You'll need Opencore bootloader for that. You can follow the guide here to do that > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

Your Q9450 should work with Catalina but the telemetry plugin needs to be replaced from 10.13.6 for it to work in Catalina (google it). Nvidia card support across macOS is now minimal after High Sierra but the GT710 card should still work up to Big Sur if I recall, but not Monterey.

As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
As I mentioned. This is not my main build so have not changed my hardware profile because of this. This is a second build so listed parts in my post for this second build. Otherwise I have to keep changing my hwprofile for each build back and forth. Or do I have to do this for whatever build I'm posting about?

Clover won't do the job of booting Catalina am afraid. You'll need Opencore bootloader for that. You can follow the guide here to do that > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

Your Q9450 should work with Catalina but the telemetry plugin needs to be replaced from 10.13.6 for it to work in Catalina (google it). Nvidia card support across macOS is now minimal after High Sierra but the GT710 card should still work up to Big Sur if I recall, but not Monterey.

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression clover would work but will look at open core

Clover 5143 runs anything up to and including Monterey 12.1.
But you have to update manually to a recent version, and possibly adapt the config.plist, as some settings are now inherited from OpenCore.

What? Clover won't work with Catalina? Are you sure?

I use Clover 5119 to boot Catalina on my systems myself. Maybe what is required is to use the Legacy version since the OP system is probably based on legacy BIOS instead of UEFI due to its age.

I have been using Legacy version....I've tried so many combos but still would not boot. I think it's a gpu problem somehow.

I just tried high seirra and that installed and booted to desktop OK.
Would like to get Catalina to work though.

Questions:
  1. Which SMBIOS are you using with your setup?
  2. Is the SMBIOS supported beyond High Sierra?
  3. Have you updated macOS High Sierra to the latest version?
  4. Does macOS High Sierra offer you any OS updates for Mojave, Catalina or newer?
  5. Are you using the Nvidia Web Drivers with your GTX 650 Ti dGPU or the native Apple drivers/kexts?
Post a copy of your 'Working' bootloader's EFI folder so we can see what you are using.

Remember to redact/delete the Serial Number from your config.plist before you post a copy here.

Use this guide to create a copy of your IOReg and post a copy of that too.https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

Just can't seem to boot catalina with clover. I fitted the gt710 gpu it starts to boot gets halfway and reboots again.
Is a dx2400 my with gt710 and q9450 even compatible with Catalina?? Just to confirm this is another build and not my main system listed.
Boot in verbose mode and see where it's crashing if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back