Contribute
Register

Old Socket 775 What's the newest OS I can install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte x99 ud4
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm using an old socket 775 motherboard with Q9450 CPU. Currently running Mac El Capitan with no problems. I would like to upgrade the OS. What is the newest version I could update too or fresh start from, for this old system. Would it be compatible for the newest version say?

So whats the newest....Big Sur? I saw someone successfully installed that on a 775

So whats the newest....Big Sur? I saw someone successfully installed that on a 775
it comes down to your CPU only having SSSE3 as later versions of macOS require 4.1/4.2

Im using an old socket 775 motherboard with q9450 cpu. Currently running Mac El Capitan with no problems. I would like to upgrade the OS.What is the newest version I could update too or fresh start from, for this old system. Would it be compatible for the newest version say?
You are using a Q9450 CPU? That does not agree with your hardware profile (Q6600). So which is it?

I changed the cpu a little while back, I just neglected to update my profile as I've not been on the forum for some time. Its definitely a q9450 I use now.

I would like to upgrade the OS. What is the newest version I could update too or fresh start from, for this old system.
You may want to check whether your gfx card has the GK106 core or not. If it does, get a different GPU.
Avoid purchasing any of the GK106 Core variants of the following cards. They may still work but do have VRAM memory leakage issues. This can lead to instability when using models with that GPU. The GT 740, GTX 660, GTX 650/Ti and GTX 645 can all potentially have the GK106 core.
Since supported AMD GPUs are still way over priced, maybe also consider a newer system that can run Big Sur or Monterey via the iGPU. New AMD cards that should sell for about $200 go for over $700 !
Screen Shot 4.jpg

A Dell refurb is a small investment to get a fully working hack with the latest macOS.

Here's one option:
These machines can run OS X Mavericks 10.9 through to macOS 12 Monterey via the iGPU. No discrete graphics card required. Nine different versions of Apple's Mac Operating System to choose from. You may need to use a different SMBIOS for some of these nine versions of the OS. For example, Mavericks would need iMac 14,2. Big Sur iMac15,1 and Monterey, Macmini7,1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back