Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
3.5GHZ i7-4770K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Hello All!

My long-time build consisting of a GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard and i7-4770K Haswell CPU unfortunately bit the dust. I began having power cycling issues and could no longer boot. The lights would come on, then immediately turn off and restart after less than a second, and I had a completely blank screen and I couldn't get to the BIOS. After troubleshooting, testing memory, clearing SMBIOS, testing the power supply - it came down to either a motherboard or CPU failure. After 7 years of easy use, incremental hardware upgrades, and numerous OSX updates...my baby was dead.

So I decided to take this opportunity to update my build with a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. The new setup POST's and I can get into BIOS settings. My Clover boot screen comes up, with my previous boot drive visible and my High Sierra USB install drive is visible as well. However, I have begun running into issues.

1). I was hoping I could boot directly from my previous install drive. Failed. Screen is stuck on Apple logo, with no progress bar.
2). Decided to boot from previous High Sierra USB drive. Failed. Same issue - Screen stuck on Apple logo, no progress bar.

Below I will discuss my component list, BIOS settings, and verbose boot page.

Here are my build components:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 LGA1200 Model Number: BX8070110400
Memory: TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
GPU: Sapphire AMD RX-580 Pulse
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Drives:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 (new install drive)
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500GB (Previous install Drive)
2x Seagate 2TB HardDrive for audio-video storage and backups
Power Supply: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W Modular
Random Bits:
ASUS 24X DVD - CD-R 32X CD-RW Burner
TP-LINK WIFI PCI Express Adapter
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter USB
Various Fans
Using stock CPU cooler, I'm not overclocking.

BIOS SETTINGS:
For BIOS settings, I referenced GeraldB's build, using the same motherboard:

Copied from his build post:
These are the BIOS settings I have used:

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • CSM
  • Set the secure boot config to Other OS
  • Serial/COM Port (not present)
  • VT-d (left it enabled you can set DisableIoMapper in OC to Yes - but even that isn't needed)
  • Thunderbolt (not in use)
  • Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX - has no use in macOS)
  • SR-IOV (no use on macOS)
Enable
  • Intel (VMX) Virtualisation Technology (VT-x)
  • Intel SpeedStep
  • Intel Shift Technology
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: UEFI Mode (Other OS under Secure Boot)
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
  • Graphics Configuration > PCIE only
After following this, here are the errors I received while trying to boot with verbose mode enabled. Note: I am trying to boot with RX-580 GPU. Could this be an issue?
View attachment 544998View attachment 544999

The verbose mode doesn't seem to tell me too much, to my knowledge. My pervious boot drive is working fine and was working beautifully in my previous build. My USB drive was created roughly 3 years ago, using UniBeast, it worked to clean install my previous system and I have used it several times to help friends recover/boot their iMac systems...so I'm nearly 100% certain my bootable drive and install drive are both working and error free.

A lot has changed since I built my first hackintosh. I'm seeing a lot of references to OpenCore...which I have zero experience with. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks to everyone.

Attachments

• PXL_20220327_053655970.jpg
    PXL_20220327_053655970.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20220327_054247758.jpg
    PXL_20220327_054247758.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hello All!

My long-time build consisting of a GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard and i7-4770K Haswell CPU unfortunately bit the dust. I began having power cycling issues and could no longer boot. The lights would come on, then immediately turn off and restart after less than a second, and I had a completely blank screen and I couldn't get to the BIOS. After troubleshooting, testing memory, clearing SMBIOS, testing the power supply - it came down to either a motherboard or CPU failure. After 7 years of easy use, incremental hardware upgrades, and numerous OSX updates...my baby was dead.

So I decided to take this opportunity to update my build with a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. The new setup POST's and I can get into BIOS settings. My Clover boot screen comes up, with my previous boot drive visible and my High Sierra USB install drive is visible as well. However, I have begun running into issues.

1). I was hoping I could boot directly from my previous install drive. Failed. Screen is stuck on Apple logo, with no progress bar.
2). Decided to boot from previous High Sierra USB drive. Failed. Same issue - Screen stuck on Apple logo, no progress bar.

Below I will discuss my component list, BIOS settings, and verbose boot page.

Here are my build components:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 LGA1200 Model Number: BX8070110400
Memory: TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
GPU: Sapphire AMD RX-580 Pulse
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Drives:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 (new install drive)
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500GB (Previous install Drive)
2x Seagate 2TB HardDrive for audio-video storage and backups
Power Supply: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W Modular
Random Bits:
ASUS 24X DVD - CD-R 32X CD-RW Burner
TP-LINK WIFI PCI Express Adapter
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Micro Adapter USB
Various Fans
Using stock CPU cooler, I'm not overclocking.

BIOS SETTINGS:
For BIOS settings, I referenced GeraldB's build, using the same motherboard:

Copied from his build post:
These are the BIOS settings I have used:

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • CSM
  • VT-d (left it enabled you can set DisableIoMapper in OC to Yes - but even that isn't needed)
Enable
  • Intel SpeedStep
  • Intel Shift Technology
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
After following this, here are the errors I received while trying to boot with verbose mode enabled. Note: I am trying to boot with RX-580 GPU. Could this be an issue?
View attachment 544998View attachment 544999

The verbose mode doesn't seem to tell me too much, to my knowledge. My pervious boot drive is working fine and was working beautifully in my previous build. My USB drive was created roughly 3 years ago, using UniBeast, it worked to clean install my previous system and I have used it several times to help friends recover/boot their iMac systems...so I'm nearly 100% certain my bootable drive and install drive are both working and error free.

A lot has changed since I built my first hackintosh. I'm seeing a lot of references to OpenCore...which I have zero experience with. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks to everyone.
Hi Ryantcu10,

Sorry to hear about your system breaking down. Unfortunately that's just the way the cookie crumbles. It's good to hear your system lasted this long - that is one of biggest the strengths of using hackintosh. One of my previous builds (Gigabyte Z77-UP5-TH) lasted 9 years and only had a PSU ever replaced. It was far more reliable than even an actual Mac Pro.

IF you want advice you can have a look at my Opencore build guide here, which is designed for High Sierra on the Z490. There I use a Core i5-10500 so the EFI High Sierra 10.15 OC 0.6.5 zip should work for you. Just simply add your existing UUID, ROM and board serials to the EFI to work (but not SMBIOS - it needs to be set to iMac18,3 for High Sierra).
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/ If you are using the AMD card to boot, you will need to add agdpmod=pikera to the NVRAM boot-arg section plus the device-id under the PCIRoot device properties.

FYI Opencore is quite similar to Clover. Much of the settings used are really renames of what was used in Clover. However it differs slightly in that it works more 'natively' with macOS than Clover ever did. In recent years despite being updated fairly regularly, Clover has encountered difficulties with running some of the OSes, in particular Catalina where Apple introduced more stringent memory access and storage management controls. This is what led to a large part of the Clover development group to move to Opencore. If you want a good guide on how Opencore works and to configure it you can follow the guide here > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

One difference with the Z490 Comet Lake platform is that it cannot use anything earlier than Catalina because of the chipset - it is only officially supported in 10.15.4 onwards. However I use CPUID spoofing in my build to get it to work under High Sierra.

Hi Ryantcu10,

Sorry to hear about your system breaking down. Unfortunately that's just the way the cookie crumbles. It's good to hear your system lasted this long - that is one of biggest the strengths of using hackintosh. One of my previous builds (Gigabyte Z77-UP5-TH) lasted 9 years and only had a PSU ever replaced. It was far more reliable than even an actual Mac Pro.

IF you want advice you can have a look at my Opencore build guide here, which is designed for High Sierra on the Z490. There I use a Core i5-10500 so the EFI High Sierra 10.15 OC 0.6.5 zip should work for you. Just simply add your existing UUID, ROM and board serials to the EFI to work (but not SMBIOS - it needs to be set to iMac18,3 for High Sierra).
> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...re-i5-10400-i9-11900k-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/ If you are using the AMD card to boot, you will need to add agdpmod=pikera to the NVRAM boot-arg section plus the device-id under the PCIRoot device properties.

FYI Opencore is quite similar to Clover. Much of the settings used are really renames of what was used in Clover. However it differs slightly in that it works more 'natively' with macOS than Clover ever did. In recent years despite being updated fairly regularly, Clover has encountered difficulties with running some of the OSes, in particular Catalina where Apple introduced more stringent memory access and storage management controls. This is what led to a large part of the Clover development group to move to Opencore. If you want a good guide on how Opencore works and to configure it you can follow the guide here > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

One difference with the Z490 Comet Lake platform is that it cannot use anything earlier than Catalina because of the chipset - it is only officially supported in 10.15.4 onwards. However I use CPUID spoofing in my build to get it to work under High Sierra.
Middleman,

Thanks so much for the great info. Dude...I appreciate it so much! I'm one of those builders that lurks around and finds answers to my own questions, but when I hit a wall...I'm glad I have these forums for help. It's really great to understand why my drives are not booting. In all of my initial research, I didn't come across any mention of Z490 chipset compatibility issue with earlier OSX versions until you pointed it out...now I've found numerous threads about it - ha!

I've begun looking into OpenCore, and it does look quite similar to Clover. And it definitely looks like I have some learning and a bit of work to do.

I think my easiest path forward is to do a Catalina install. What do you suggest? Would that be the smart path forward? Nothing on my old High Sierra drive is specific to 10.13...I just stuck with High Sierra because my system was very stable and I saw no reason to introduce "what if's" into my audio/video workflows. However, now the old computer is down, I may as well get this build as up-to-date as I can. Right?

I'm going to need to steal a copy of Catalina from my girlfriend...I think my old trusty MacBook Pro might be too old to download it, but I'll check.

Thanks again. - Ryan

Middleman,

Thanks so much for the great info. Dude...I appreciate it so much! I'm one of those builders that lurks around and finds answers to my own questions, but when I hit a wall...I'm glad I have these forums for help. It's really great to understand why my drives are not booting. In all of my initial research, I didn't come across any mention of Z490 chipset compatibility issue with earlier OSX versions until you pointed it out...now I've found numerous threads about it - ha!

I've begun looking into OpenCore, and it does look quite similar to Clover. And it definitely looks like I have some learning and a bit of work to do.

I think my easiest path forward is to do a Catalina install. What do you suggest? Would that be the smart path forward? Nothing on my old High Sierra drive is specific to 10.13...I just stuck with High Sierra because my system was very stable and I saw no reason to introduce "what if's" into my audio/video workflows. However, now the old computer is down, I may as well get this build as up-to-date as I can. Right?

I'm going to need to steal a copy of Catalina from my girlfriend...I think my old trusty MacBook Pro might be too old to download it, but I'll check.

Thanks again. - Ryan

Ryan,
You’re most welcome! :) I totally agree with you, I’m a bit like that too at times (finding answers to my own problems). A lot of the times when I do get stuck, it gets put aside until another time or something new pops up. I learnt much over the years thanks to forums like Tonymac. The great thing about it is there’s a big bunch of dedicated folks out there who’s committed to its development, and you’ll always find help or answers to them no matter how big or small.

As to your system, yes sure you’re welcome to try Catalina although the OC High Sierra EFI will work with your current setup. But for sure you will need to change it to the Catalina EFI if you Switch because of the subtle changes it differs from High Sierra. Just remember that Nvidia Pascal cards or newer won’t be supported on anything after High Sierra. If you prefer you can actually download any version of macOS you wish using the gibmacOS script using Terminal (without using the MacBook). You can put it on an external SSD or USB flash stick to test using the Z490 EFI builds. That’s the quickest way to see which build works best for you > https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS
I’d suggest to try up to Big Sur if you want the near latest OS. Monterey 12 is also possible but presently version 12.3 is rather buggy. Good luck with your build!

Ryan,
You’re most welcome! :) I totally agree with you, I’m a bit like that too at times (finding answers to my own problems). A lot of the times when I do get stuck, it gets put aside until another time or something new pops up. I learnt much over the years thanks to forums like Tonymac. The great thing about it is there’s a big bunch of dedicated folks out there who’s committed to its development, and you’ll always find help or answers to them no matter how big or small.

As to your system, yes sure you’re welcome to try Catalina although the OC High Sierra EFI will work with your current setup. But for sure you will need to change it to the Catalina EFI if you Switch because of the subtle changes it differs from High Sierra. Just remember that Nvidia Pascal cards or newer won’t be supported on anything after High Sierra. If you prefer you can actually download any version of macOS you wish using the gibmacOS script using Terminal (without using the MacBook). You can put it on an external SSD or USB flash stick to test using the Z490 EFI builds. That’s the quickest way to see which build works best for you > https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS
I’d suggest to try up to Big Sur if you want the near latest OS. Monterey 12 is also possible but presently version 12.3 is rather buggy. Good luck with your build!
Hey Middleman,
Hate to bother you after being so helpful to me. I've gone through the OpenCore process but hit a snag.

I went with the Catalina install path, as it seemed the most straight forward and stable OS for my build.

I'm getting this error while trying to boot via OpenCore created USB. Wondering if you (or anyone else) might be able to help me understand what I did wrong? Here is the error and the config.plist. I'll be searching the forums for similar issues.

Many thanks to all that can help!

PXL_20220330_001129107.jpg

Edit: Okay, so I figured out I didn't have my config.plist in the OC folder. It is now booting! However...new issue...it's booting in what I think is Russian. Hahaha...I can't make this up. It didn't give me the usual option to select my language and whatnot. So weird.

I know the steps to get MacOS installed...no issues there...however, should I proceed? I'm currently taking pictures with my phone and using Google Lens to translate the text. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the language. This is so weird...

PXL_20220330_042402937.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    28.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to ask, what version of Opencore are you trying to use with Catalina?
Did you use the one that was already there on my EFI? Because the one I have (OC 0.6.5) already should work
with Catalina. Have you made sure the BOOT folder exists inside the EFI folder? Also /EFI/OC folder should contain the OC. 0.6.5. Opencore.efi file. You have to make sure that all of the essential Opencore system files ie Bootx64.efi, Opencore.efi, all files under /Drivers and /Tools must all be the same version.

Have you also checked your system BIOS settings to see how they compare with the ones I used?

Okay that's easy enough. To change the language to the NVRAM section and under the NVRAM section fill it like this under prev-lang-kbd:

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 12.47.05 PM.png

Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to ask, what version of Opencore are you trying to use with Catalina?
Did you use the one that was already there on my EFI? Because the one I have (OC 0.6.5) already should work
with Catalina. Have you made sure the BOOT folder exists inside the EFI folder? Also /EFI/OC folder should contain the OC. 0.6.5. Opencore.efi file. You have to make sure that all of the essential Opencore system files ie Bootx64.efi, Opencore.efi, all files under /Drivers and /Tools must all be the same version.

Have you also checked your system BIOS settings to see how they compare with the ones I used?
Middleman,
Thanks for your help. I'm using the latest version 0.7.9 Debug on Github. I fixed the language issue by finding prev-lang-kbd and changed the value to en-US:0. I've checked my EFI folder several times, I believe everything is in the right spot. I've included my config.plist below.
EFI Screen Grab.png

I can boot and begin the install of Catalina. After the first reboot, the computer POSTs and goes through the OpenCore script, but then freezes (black screen) when macOS should begin the second install phase. I've provided some OpenCore debug logs below.

My BIOS settings are:
Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • CSM
Enable
  • Intel SpeedStep
  • Intel Shift Technology
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off

Attachments

• config.plist
    28.7 KB · Views: 35
  • opencore-2022-03-30-131815.txt
    256 KB · Views: 38
  • opencore-2022-03-30-125225.txt
    256 KB · Views: 34
Alright Ryan, I've done the necessary changes. Try out this EFI folder. It include the latest OC 0.7.9. release and all the necessary changes and kexts including settings for the RX580, extra SSDTs and SmallTreeIntel82576 for the I219 LAN.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.7 MB · Views: 34
Alright Ryan, I've done the necessary changes. Try out this EFI folder. It include the latest OC 0.7.9. release and all the necessary changes and kexts including settings for the RX580, extra SSDTs and SmallTreeIntel82576 for the I219 LAN.
I owe you like 4 cases of beer. That's all I have to say. We're running.

Install continued immediately upon startup. No issues. Copied my EFI folder over to install disk - zero problems booting without the USB. Got my Apogee Duet working for audio. Updating some of my applications that are carried over from my previous install drive. So far this feels like a very p

Not all of my front panel USB ports are working. Oddly only the 2 USB3.0 ports on the front are fully operational, the USB2 ports have power but no thru-data. That being said, it's not a huge issue right now and all rear USB ports are operational. Wifi is also something I'll need to figure out...but I ethernet is working very well and that's what I use...soooo not a big deal :).

I'm really interested in learning what mistakes I made. I feel like we should do a zoom call or something...lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back