Contribute
Register

Old Hardware - New Install. What Process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte z77n-wifi
CPU
3rd generation i7
Graphics
Onboard Intel 4000 HD with Dual Monitors
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all.
I have an older hardware system, and to be honest, the hardware I believe, is just fine. I just want to update the software to the newest version.

I would like to start fresh with a brand-new SSD. I have a Gigabyte z77n-wifi board, 16gb RAM, and an i7-3770K Ivy Bridge quad-core. On-CPU intel 4000 graphics. I made this system years ago, and updated it once about I guess 3 years ago.

it is very important for me to have a stable system. I use photoshop / photoshop lightroom primarily. I have appx. 75,000 photographs on the system. Also Messages (which is currently working just fine).

I would like to update to MacOS Sierra v10.12.
i'll just say, I've read a bunch of guides, and from what I see, either they are very specific to the hardware the author had. Also, I seem to see a bunch of guides write some, then point to another guide via a hyperlink, then list other guides as forms of hyperlinks. Well, jumping from guide to guide seems to get confusing for me.

So I'm going to ask questions focused on the hardware I have, and I look forward to any help others can offer me.

Question 1. I never know which hardware profile is proper to use for the hardware I have. Can someone advise me which hardware profile to use?

Question 2. I use Clover & the Clover Configurator. Is there a recent tutorial which shows which sections of the configurator are proper to fill-in, and can someone point to specific configurations for the GA-z77n-wifi board and i7 chip I have?

Question 3. Using Clover with the Configurator -- is it proper to use DSDT modifications? I know thee are github repos, such as pjalm and such ... should those DSDT modifications be used still?

Question 4. Really a sub-question I guess. What about SSDTs? I'm not sure I truly understand what these are, what they do, and should I be dumping them and making modifications.

Question 5. Is it possible, on the hardware I've listed, to have the monitor allow for playing iTunes movies? Currently I get a 'decryption error' of some type. I don't have a lot of iTunes movies, but I have the most recent Star Wars movies (from 2016/2017) and would like to be able to see them on the computer if possible.

Question 6. For the hardware I've listed, and from the questions I've asked, I'll ask -- what don't I know? What should I be aware of that I've completely missed?

Thank you for your help!
-dave

Hello all.
I have an older hardware system, and to be honest, the hardware I believe, is just fine. I just want to update the software to the newest version.

I would like to start fresh with a brand-new SSD. I have a Gigabyte z77n-wifi board, 16gb RAM, and an i7-3770K Ivy Bridge quad-core. On-CPU intel 4000 graphics. I made this system years ago, and updated it once about I guess 3 years ago.

it is very important for me to have a stable system. I use photoshop / photoshop lightroom primarily. I have appx. 75,000 photographs on the system. Also Messages (which is currently working just fine).

I would like to update to MacOS Sierra v10.12.
i'll just say, I've read a bunch of guides, and from what I see, either they are very specific to the hardware the author had. Also, I seem to see a bunch of guides write some, then point to another guide via a hyperlink, then list other guides as forms of hyperlinks. Well, jumping from guide to guide seems to get confusing for me.

So I'm going to ask questions focused on the hardware I have, and I look forward to any help others can offer me.

Question 1. I never know which hardware profile is proper to use for the hardware I have. Can someone advise me which hardware profile to use?

Question 2. I use Clover & the Clover Configurator. Is there a recent tutorial which shows which sections of the configurator are proper to fill-in, and can someone point to specific configurations for the GA-z77n-wifi board and i7 chip I have?

Question 3. Using Clover with the Configurator -- is it proper to use DSDT modifications? I know thee are github repos, such as pjalm and such ... should those DSDT modifications be used still?

Question 4. Really a sub-question I guess. What about SSDTs? I'm not sure I truly understand what these are, what they do, and should I be dumping them and making modifications.

Question 5. Is it possible, on the hardware I've listed, to have the monitor allow for playing iTunes movies? Currently I get a 'decryption error' of some type. I don't have a lot of iTunes movies, but I have the most recent Star Wars movies (from 2016/2017) and would like to be able to see them on the computer if possible.

Question 6. For the hardware I've listed, and from the questions I've asked, I'll ask -- what don't I know? What should I be aware of that I've completely missed?

Thank you for your help!
-dave

Will work fine. Im currently using a H77N-WIFI, Core i7 3770, HD4000 with 10.12.6 & 10.13. SSDTs I have done the Patches for both Z/H77N-WIFI I will put them up on Github in the next couple of days. It is critical to have IGPU Powermanagement & CPU Powermanagement. I will do a Guide for 10.12.6.

I don't recommend using Clover Configurator. Defiantly wouldn't recommend using it when using Clover Hotpatch, Clover Configurator can't handle ACPI, DSDT, Patches in config.plist will destroy them can result into broken patches or broken system that can't boot.

I anxiously will await your guide for 10.12.6 and your patches to Github. May I ask you to please ping me when and where I should look for your guide/patches?

Last edited:
I would like to ask a question ... In making the USB drive for the installation of MacOS, I see you list the following:
"You will need to replace the config with installer_HD4000 renaming it to config.'

I think I missed, but where is 'installer_HD4000 coming from? And then when I get that, it is copied to EFI/Clover/kexts/other on the USB drive with the name changed from installer_HD4000 to config? Or running installer_HD4000 produces an output, and that output file replaces the the 'config' file?

And, in /EFI/Clover/kexts, I remove all the 10.xx subdirs and only keep the 'other' directory?

Thank you for your help!
-dave

I would like to ask a question ... In making the USB drive for the installation of MacOS, I see you list the following:
"You will need to replace the config with installer_HD4000 renaming it to config.'

I think I missed, but where is 'installer_HD4000 coming from? And then when I get that, it is copied to EFI/Clover/kexts/other on the USB drive with the name changed from installer_HD4000 to config? Or running installer_HD4000 produces an output, and that output file replaces the the 'config' file?

And, in /EFI/Clover/kexts, I remove all the 10.xx subdirs and only keep the 'other' directory?

Thank you for your help!
-dave

installer_HD4000 is downloaded from Github. Follow the guide carefully. Kexts goes in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back