i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey. I just "found" my old rig, and first Hackintosh in my basement. It's still in great shape, and I'd like to build it back so I can have a PC at my mother's when I go to visit. I had a hard time finding reliable info on such old hardware, but I know it will support at least Lion as it's what I had on there at the time.

My question is, which is the most recent version of OSX I can install on this? I imagine it's not going to be very recent since I don't have UEFI on this bad boy, and I don't even know if the 8800 is compatible with Nvidia web drivers... I just need something good enough to run my basic apps and some extra stuff like maybe some light Photoshop and very light gaming.

Thanks!

It should be able to run at least Mavericks or Yosemite. You have to do some testing to find out.
In my experience those older Core 2 Duo systems work best booting with the Chimera bootloader.
That means that Yosemite is about as new as you'll get without trying to use Clover and jumping
through a lot of hoops to make it work with El Capitan or newer editions of macOS.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll see how complicated going above Yosemite might be, but considering the age and use of this rig I'll probably choose ease over recentcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back