Contribute
Register

Old Dog/New Tricks: Using HD4000 for Your Pro Audio/DAW Builds

Thank you BoomR,
Your answer about the i7 and Hyper Threading question, is very helpful for me, I agree about get as much power as you can afford, of this way, is very difficult be wrong, and thanks to your posts, and of course, your answer, now I know the i7, is a good decision for Apps like Logic and Pro Tools, and I'll buy GA-Z77Z-UP5 TH and i7, in my case, I'm not sure about the overclocking, and I dont know if I'll try it in the future, probably I buy i7 3770K, of this way, I can decide in the future for overclock.
I want to build a silence Hackintosh, your power supply is a good option? I don't know seasonic or corsair.
Thanks for your answer, I'll post about my build, and probably I need resolve any question, will stay tuned, thanks for sharing the experiences, and answer my questions.

Great thread! Can you run 2 monitors off this board with the hd4000?

I have seen several posts from different individuals who are successfully using multiple monitors with HD4000 on-board GPU and this mobo. Do a little research & use the forum Search function. Check in particular the Golden Builds section and User Builds sections.

I'm running two monitors with my Sandy Bridge Zorro system using HD3000 (see signature block). HD4000 should be no problem although I'm only using one monitor with my Ivy Bridge Thunderball system.

Check Intel's web site for the processors with HD4000 capability like the 3570K & 3770K processors. I believe you can drive a dual-link DVI resolution (2550x1440) and a 1920x1200 monitors from the DVI and HDMI motherboard connectors, respectively. Haswell will have an even stronger graphics capability - can't wait to try it.

BTW, a good reference link on the graphics hierarchy: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-right-now-hierarchy-chart-toms-hardware.html

Thanks for all that info, Mr. Stork - and I am DEFINITELY bookmarking that link with all the GPU stuff! Appreciate the share!
:headbang:

Hi,

i am having some issues with running two monitors.

i73770k,z77x-u5th
PT 10HD

thinking about upgrading to a graphics card with 3 outputs.
1x main, 1xplugin, 1xvideo

I heard GTX670 is pretty good, and silent. any reccomendations?

Hi,

i am having some issues with running two monitors.

i73770k,z77x-u5th
PT 10HD

thinking about upgrading to a graphics card with 3 outputs.
1x main, 1xplugin, 1xvideo

I heard GTX670 is pretty good, and silent. any reccomendations?

How are you connecting your 2 monitors to your system?

As for any thoughts on a graphics card or recommendations, that is off-topic for this thread. You'd get a quicker reply by searching other areas of the forum or positing your question in the "Builds" section.

--B

Hi,

sorry for hijacking the thread first of all.

The optimal way to connecting the screen is both via TB. i am using Tb to DVi and TB to HDMI. I even have HDMi splitter, for VO artists to have a picture in Vocal booth.The other HDMi is for me and clients, 10 m long.
Both montiras are setup instantly, resoluting 1080p.
As i have read, that should not be possible?
OTH, using any other combination like dvi + TB to hdmi or DVi +TB to Dvi resulted with soe issue or crappy pic. distortiosn, or not even showing up. computer recognizes the displays, through sysPref/displays, but cant get them to work properly with any of the resolutions possible.

What amm i missing/doign wrong?
Coudl it be i missed something with the install?

There are two Thunderbolt ports - MDP1 & MDP2. After reading the manual again, the only restriction to using the Thunderbolt ports for monitors is (pages 10 & 22):
2 Thunderbolt ports (MDP1/MDP2) support for Mini-DisplayPort and Thunderbolt monitor(s), and supporting a maximum resolution of 2560x1600.
* When a monitor connected to the DVI-D port, the MDP2 Thunderbolt port can support Thunderbolt storage device(s) only.
* Due to PC architecture I/O resources limitation, the amount of the Thunderbolt devices
can be used is dependent on the quantity of PCI Express and PCI devices be installed. (Refer to Chapter 1-7, "Back Panel Connectors", and Chapter 2, "Peripherals\Intel(R) Thunderbolt" for more information.)
These two points are important, especially the 1st with respect to graphics.

On page 59:
Reserved IO for Thunderbolt
Specifies how many I/O resources are to be reserved for Thunderbolt devices. Options are: 4K~48K. (Default: 20K)
When set to 20K, each Thunderbolt port can be daisy chain around 3 Thunderbolt devices. The greater size allows more Thunderbolt devices can be used. Each Thunderbolt port support up to 6 devices (Note). Due to PC architecture I/O resources limitation, when set to 48K, the SATA ports controlled by the Marvell SE9172 controller will be disabled...

(Note) Due to PC architecture I/O resources limitation, the amount of the Thunderbolt devices can be used is dependent on the quantity of PCI Express and PCI devices be installed. If a PCI Express graphics card is installed, it is recommended that set Reserved IO for Thunderbolt to 40K or less.
The note here is also important

It may be my motherboard is unique since it's one of the first out, but I can not get any displays to work on MDP1 port. Hopefully, the above helps you with respect to the Intel (motherboard) Integrated Graphics.

I use a 650 TI graphics card with great success driving a Dell Ultrasharp 27" & 24" monitors using the two DVI connectors. The card also has a mini HDMI connect, and, according to nVidia, this card can drive 3 monitors. But, I don't have a 3rd monitor to test the 3 monitor capability. So, unless you're a gamer, too, don't over buy on selecting a graphics card, AND, since Thunderbolt shares the PCI "lanes", you maybe limited on Thunderbolt devices you can use if you use a graphics card.

Back