Contribute
Register

Okies NUC Cube with 3D Printed parts (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU model name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
HD 5000
Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for some time and thought I would start a thread on my build.

I started with a NUC D54250WYKH and G4 Cube. I got both off ebay. I added the following to the NUC.

Memory = 16GB HyperX Impact
Storage = 250GB mSATA Samsung 850
Wifi = Spare HP mPCIe I had sitting around. ( I plan on changing to a BT+Wifi )
Optical = BDRW Sony Drive (still waiting on delivery)

First I set the NUC up and running in its case with El Capitan. Except for setting the audio to "1" vs "3" it was easy with the guides here.

Next came tearing the Cube apart and figuring where I would place everything. Originally I planned on extending the ports so I didn't have to mod the back / bottom of the cube but I didn't want to deal with all the extensions and want a clean appearance inside and out. Currently I've decided to mount the NUC MB so I don't use extensions as much as possible. This presented 2 problems. 1. I still want a non-cut panel and 2. I suck at metal work and was worried I would warp the original panel. So I'm brainstorming with the idea of 3D printing the panel. I've mocked up the panel and will finish the inner structure tonight.

Capture.PNG

My plan is to try printing in ABS hopefully it will prove to be rigid enough. If not I may try some of the aluminum infused filament to see if it is more rigid. More to come once I finish the inner structure.

I finished the back panel and currently printing one in low quality to test for fitment issues. The print time is currently 8 hours :crazy:. I also got in my Sony BC-5600S in today and I'm currently creating adapter plates so it can fit into the original bracket as the cubes DVD-ROM.

Capture2.PNG

The rough print of the back panel completed and really brought to light some issues in my model and plan.

1. ABS is not as strong as I thought. I will switch over to PETG.
2. Warpage was bad on the corners. PETG should help with this.
3. I will need to build some support around the DVD bracket support and handle support and round their edges.
4. I need to clear out the side material on the ovals for the handle. The original is missing this; I just overlooked it.
5. I'm going to remove the 5-6 USB slots and move the audio jacks to their location. This will allow me to place 2 USB ports at the top of the cube if I want to.
6. Minor measurement tweaks on the corners, bracket supports and hdmi port

first_print.jpg

Hi OkieDeric!

It's nice to see another Nuc- Cube mod. I'll be definitely following your progress.

The new back panel looks good. Is this PETG material paintable?

Are you going to keep the stock heatsink?

Cheers
F.

Thanks iCubeFan!

Do you mean the stock heatsink of the cube? If so, no I planned on replacing it with a scaffolding type design to go between the handle latches. I plan on building the motherboard support on this piece as well. PETG is paintable. I generally use modelers paint or paint designed for flexibile material with good results.

While I took a break from 3D modeling I decided I should test my Sony Optiarc to make sure it was functional. I downloaded a BD player from the app store and popped the Star Wars extras disc in and....

cube2.png

Hard to tell from the image but I wanted to show off the rats nest of SATA cables coming out too.

I'm also printing version 2 of the back but now in PETG. I'm having a small issue with flow compared to ABS but it will be good enough before I print a high quality one.

cube4.png

I hope to print the scaffolding block next.

I did a quick test fit and except for 2 minor tweaks the back panel is done. I will probably print it with close to 100% infill once I get my PETG printer issues sorted out.

cube5.png

cube5.png

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining printed parts

what software do you use to scan the original back panel? What 3D printer are you using?

And yes, I was referring to the Cube Heatsink.

Cheers
F

Last edited:
I didn't use a scanner. I just used a digital caliper and ruler to recreated it from scratch in my CAD software.

The 3D printer I am using is the Wanhao Duplicator i3. It is normally pretty forgiving but this white PETG has been an issue to get dialed in.

Unfortunately nothing to show recently. I've been fighting my 3D printer with the white PETG. I came home to find a big hard glob the size of a golf ball encasing the extruder and the glass build platform being knocked on the floor. I did make the following changes to the back plate

1. The vent holes are centered now and are one set just enabled of disabled if they need to be shown or not.
2. Rewoked a lot of features so they are mirrored versus 2 different settings. Should make tweaking easier.
3. Rounded edges of the recess for the handle for people with big mitts.
4. Rounded outside edges of face plate to be like the original
5. added support for the edges which stiffened the part all around.

Additionally I recreated the side of the heatsink that bolt to the handle rails. I also have an idea on the scaffolding I just need to print a trial run to test it out. Hopefully more to show this weekend.

Edit: Included picture of HS side
HSRail.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back