Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
Yesterday my machine was working fine. This morning I’ve got a black screen, rebooting makes no difference. I’m running Catalina 10.15 and it has been stable for weeks since updating. I’ve not changed anything.

Help!

@SandyM2017 , there are 7 versions of Catalina, which one are you struggling with ?

Greetings Henties

Yesterday my machine was working fine. This morning I’ve got a black screen, rebooting makes no difference. I’m running Catalina 10.15 and it has been stable for weeks since updating. I’ve not changed anything.

Help!

If you don't have a image when the computer posts, the image you get before the operating system starts, indicates a low level problem. Check all of your cables to make sure they are plugged in. Turn the monitor on and off. Unplug the computer and monitor for a couple of minutes, then try again. You should know macOS can leave junk in hardware that will persist through a reboot and a cold start is the only way to full reset the graphics cards to monitor connection.

If none of gets you an image you then need to swap the monitor or the computer to see which component is dead.

I have struggled with something sounds like this, for two years I had used a Samsung monitor that often would not come back out of sleep and connect to the GPU. I tried 4 AMD GPUs, multiple cables, btw. When it was bad I would have power the computer entirely off to get the monitor and graphics card talking to each other again.

I'm not nuts, I'm typing on an Acer monitor and it's been over a week and it has worked perfectly. It's working perfect with a 8K Display port cable that would never light up the monitor in macOS with the Samsung monitor. The version of macOS makes no different on this behavior, at least in my case.

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I unplugged everything unnecessary to it booting and it all worked. Gradually plugged everything back in and still works! When I get the time I will look a bit more closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back