Contribute
Register

Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580

The mDNSResponder is suggestive of it being network related, but beyond that, it's difficult to guess. Boot arguments can sometimes be a cause. keepsyms=1, particularly, while useful for debugging, can be a potential candidate for all kinds of random crashes. shikigva=80 might be worth trying (instead of 40). Is hardware acceleration enabled on your GPU? If not, maybe that's a contributing factor.

That said, an ill-chosen device-id could might still be the culprit. Maybe try F3150000 or F2150000.
Thanks a lot! I will definitely get rid of the keepsyms=1 flag.

When it comes to the iMacPro1,1 + AMD dGPU settings, I doubt that shikigva=80 is correct.
I don't have an iGPU, it is disabled, as I'm using a i7-11700k, which has an Intel UHD Graphics 750 (iGPU) that is not supported by macOS at all. I'm using an AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB (Polaris chip), WhateverGreen.kext, SMBios iMacPro1,1, shikigva=40 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94, two displays (1x HDMI, 1x DP) both run smoothly at 4k@60Hz. In the BIOS (Version F4) "Internal Graphics" is set to disable.

Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+ work fine in Safari (and all other browsers) :)

GPU-based hardware acceleration is working too:
Code:
./VDADecoderChecker
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

Code:
VideoProc Converter
H264 4k [email protected] Available
HEVC 4k main@auto Available

According to Dortania's guide: shikigva=40 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 are the recommended settings for my AMD RX 560 (Polaris chip) and my iMacPro1,1 SMBios. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot! I will definitely get rid of the keepsyms=1 flag.

When it comes to the iMacPro1,1 + AMD dGPU settings, I doubt that shikigva=80 is correct.
shikigva=80 was a possible option. Correctness, depends on your needs. iMacPro1,1 would likely not have been my system definition of choice, but, in fairness, I don't give the proverbial rats butt about Apple services, so would not have adhered to any guide focusing on that outcome.
I don't have an iGPU, it is disabled, as I'm using a i7-11700k, which has an Intel UHD Graphics 750 (iGPU) that is not supported by macOS at all. I'm using an AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB (Polaris chip), WhateverGreen.kext, SMBios iMacPro1,1, shikigva=40 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94, two displays (1x HDMI, 1x DP) both run smoothly at 4k@60Hz. In the BIOS (Version F4) "Internal Graphics" is set to disable.
Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+ work fine in Safari (and all other browsers) :)
I don't use shikigva at all. The same services appear to work as expected, regardless, using an RX 580 (a fellow Polaris). With hardware acceleration working as expected, at least that rules out the likelihood of it being a contributing factor to your the crashes.
According to Dortania's guide: shikigva=40 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 are the recommended settings for my AMD RX 560 (Polaris chip) and my iMacPro1,1 SMBios.
A question I'd be more concerned with is whether (or not) the iMacPro1,1 system definition is suited to your motherboard and processor combination, given that there is [currently] little Hackintosh compatibility information with regards their respective chipsets.
What am I doing wrong?
Can you confirm that you're not using FakePCID to enable your network interface?

Can I use a Radeon RX580 Sapphire Pulse card with this build?

There is a warning which says, "CAN NOT BOOT with GIGABYTE RX580 MINING or GAMING."

Just wondered if it was all RX580's or just the Gigabyte.

Thanks for being brave enough to test this out.

If HD audio is working fine in Linux and Windows, as you say, then it seems more likely to me that there's something funky in your OpenCore/macOS configuration. I wouldn't think the RX 580 is failing, unless you dropped it on a tiled floor at some time.
Hi @macntosh, unfortunately the problem persist in Ubuntu 21.04 as well (clean installation). I did macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey clean installations (without any 3rd party software) and the problem persist. Booting in Windows 11 the issue does not persist. I have only 2 ideas: There is a problem with the Polaris drivers or something wrong at the Z590 ACPI registers. Currently prepare to install Big Sur 11.0. @ohchang, are you experiencing such an issues using your RX580 GPU HDMI Audio (crackling, dropping)? The issue goes away after putting a load to the GPU (Unigine Heaven or video compress using the GPU HA)

@ohchang has not posted since July, 4 2021 in this thread and has not been active in this forum since August 12, 2021. His last Github commit was on July 26, 2021 too. Unfortunately, I think he is no longer with us. :(

Can I use a Radeon RX580 Sapphire Pulse card with this build?

There is a warning which says, "CAN NOT BOOT with GIGABYTE RX580 MINING or GAMING."

Just wondered if it was all RX580's or just the Gigabyte.

Thanks for being brave enough to test this out.

Hi.

For this particular point I believe the OP was referring to the modified BIOS's available for the GPU, not all RX580's whoever might make them. High end RX cards are often used for mining.

The main issue with 500-series boards is that when coupled with a 10th gen Comet Lake CPU there is no accelerated display output from the iGPU and it can only be used "headless".

:)

I was wondering if any of you have problems with DP/HDMI Audio? I'm experiencing a crackling issues when listening to music (YuTube, VLC, etc.) My build is Z590 VISION D F6, GA RX580 GAMING 4GB. When using the onboard ALC 4080 I have no issues. This is happening when I'm connecting more than one monitor. Testet with Big Sur 11.6, Monterey 12.0.1, with and without AppleALC/U. Note: DP/HDMI Audio is working on Windows and Linux perfectly. When the crackling issues are happening and I put load to the GPU, problems goes away. I'm start to thinking this GPU is too old...

Referring to the point @MacOrDie made in post #204, perhaps the Gigabyte "Gaming" VBIOS is different from the standard one, just as a "Mining" VBIOS is? Given your problem that the HDMI audio only works well when the card is under load, kind-of lends itself to this speculation.

:)

@ohchang has not posted since July, 4 2021 in this thread and has not been active in this forum since August 12, 2021. His last Github commit was on July 26, 2021 too. Unfortunately, I think he is no longer with us. :(
Well I checked he made loads of contributions to Github this year and it suddenly stopped after July. It's not normal activity for someone rather active I know, but I hope he's alright.

Yeah, I do not use FakePCID at all since the Monterey upgrade. I have switched to F2158680 (and Configure to "Automatically") and will report back in about 1 week.
F2158680 (and Configure to "Automatically") works:

Great news, over one week later, and after heavy usage of the machine, for more than 8h per day, I have not encountered any issue, lack, stuttering, or freezing, and no more kernel panics. :headbang:
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 00.58.25.png

Back