Contribute
Register

Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580

I have tested this too. I can confirm that there is really no audio coming from the HD audio connection. But sadly, I have not found any fix.

Edit: More info: "By default, port D is always connected via HD Audio and thus via the front panel. If that’s too quiet for you, just test it in the back. One output actually always works with the 2 volts and the automatic impedance detection."

Edit2: The problem is also discussed in the Linux community.

Edit3: In the ASUS support community there is a firmware update tool for the ALC4080, but this update only fixes an issue with optical audio output (S/PDIF).

Edit4: Found a solution here (sadly in German only). They say that switching between back and front audio can only be accomplished via the (Windows) software. So I guess one needs to figure out what the Windows software exactly does.

Edit5: Will try this setting later. Maybe we can configure it to play simultaneously.

View attachment 526734

I use an Altec Lansing setup that has a sub woofer amp that plugs in through the analog on the rear audio port. I unplugged the connection to the rear port, plugged my headphones into the front port and, for whatever reason, immediately they showed up under the sound output as an additional Realtek USB 2.0 option. I plugged the amp back in to the rear analog and the headphones still remained and I could switch back and forth between the two. Perhaps the single detection of the front port was enough to enable both outputs?

As my PC case is under my desk, I have not noticed that while replugging the headphones, macOS automatically switched between output devices (analog vs. S/PDIF). Thus, I falsely believed that the front audio is not working. :banghead:

But in fact it is working. After plugging in the headphones, you simply need to go to the system settings and re-select the correct output device (analog). :cool:

The whole issue and confusion is caused by the fact that both output devices (analog and S/PDIF) are both labeled "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" which is super annoying. I googled quite a bit and searched in OpenCore's wiki and the Configurator, but have not found any way to rename a USB device.

The "best" workaround is to create yet another set of virtual output devices in the macOS built-in Audio MIDI Setup.app that one can rename easily. See screenshot.

• Realtek USB2.0 Audio 4 = Analog Line Out (Back & Front [HD Audio])
  • Realtek USB2.0 Audio 6 = S/PDIF

Maybe @ohchang knows a way to rename the two audio output devices.

Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 13.30.37.png

Hello, when I set DeviceProperties -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) -> AAPL,ig-platform-id to
Code:
0300C89B
Sidecar will not work. However, when I set it to
Code:
00009B3E
Sidecar will function without a problem. Does anyone know why?
After doing some research, I found SchmockLord's Z490 VISION D build mention BIOS related setting. I failed to find the following option in my BIOS. Does anyone know where I can find those settings?

iMac20,2-specific settings:​

• Primary Graphics Adapter: PCIE (when you plugin the monitor in the graphics card) or iGPU (when you plugin the monitor to your onboard HDMI)
  • Share Memory: 64MB
  • IGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled (this keeps the iGPU enabled even when a graphics card is detected)

Last edited:
Hi @382154554 you have to enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module), then without saving or rebooting, directly change the settings as needed, then go back to CSM and disable it again, then save the new settings.

1) Enable CSM (do not reboot, stay in the BIOS)
2) Change your settings (Primary GPU etc.)
3) Disable CSM (now save and reboot)

bios.png

Judging by your Intel Power Gadget the CPU is consuming more power than it should while idle, 34 Watt and 60C temperature are no joke (if that's idle condition) on Windows should be far less than that.

Open Activity Monitor app and see whats causing that CPU load, if "kernel_task" is doing that then is no good.

I had this issue with my 11900K where in macOS CPU idled at 50 Watts and 52C (with NZXT kraken X53 cooler), and on Windows 13 Watts and 34C, the only thing solved my problem was disabling USB Audio in BIOS, I couldn't care less about that onboard audio because I'm getting audio from HDMI cable of my Radeon GPU.

Now my CPU is idling at 34C 13-14 Watt and scoring benchmarks exactly the same as in Windows, USB Audio was my main problem and never tinkered with that onboard audio again wether it was a USB mapping issue or Audio layout-id number, just disabled it.

@root2
Thanks for replying. I tried your suggestions but still no luck. My dGPU which is on PCIE 1 is set to be the Initial Display Output.

@root2
Thanks for replying. I tried your suggestions but still no luck. My dGPU which is on PCIE 1 is set to be the Initial Display Output.
Try PCIe 2 as well, there was/is? some confusion around what counts as PCIe1 due to the special rocket lake NVMe M2A_CPU socket. But I think it was fixed with BIOS F4.

Installing macOS Big Sur 11.6 went smoothly (using OpenCore 0.7.3).

@jlcdgd I use a different CPU (i7-11700K) than @ohchang and also use a different SMBios iMacPro1,1 instead of iMac20,2. Some kext files might need some adjustments (see this).

@jlcdgd here you go:

Attachments

• Gigabyte Z590 VISION G - macOS 11.6 - OpenCore 0.7.3.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Back