Contribute
Register

Official List of Apple Macs that can run macOS Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as the Apple Silicon transition is proceeding, I am actually a bit surprised (the Intel version of) MacOS Monterey still retains support for Mac mini 2014 and iMacs from 2015. My Mac mini 2018 is eligible, although I will keep it on Mojave as I see no reason to move.

As for the OS itself, as far as I can see there is nothing to interest me or can entice me to upgrade. My main application on my main machine is VMware Fusion 11, which runs superbly on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (11.0.3) and High Sierra 10.13.6 (11.5.3). If I want it to run on Mojave or Catalina I can use version 11.5.7. I have no need to upgrade to Big Sur, and I certainly don't want to be forced to upgrade VMware Fusion because of a useless OS upgrade (to me). Not to say that Apple's refusal to release standalone updates for Big Sur has greatly soured my impression of Big Sur.

I am sure that if I were to adopt MacOS Monterey in the future I would be forced to upgrade VMware Fusion as well, but with Fusion 11 working fine for me, I don't want or need to upgrade. Therefore, like Big Sur, Monterey is already out of consideration for me.

I am tired of this yearly upgrade of operating systems for my computers. Upgrading the computer OS is a time-consuming and massive undertaking, and I shall skip as many OS versions as necessary if I find no compelling reason to move.

I just recently changed my system definition from iMac 14,2 to 15,1 on my Haswell build so that I could update to Big Sur. I wonder if it would run well on iMac 17,1 or if I'd need to stick with Big Sur.
We have pretty similar builds and I'm using iMacPro 1,1 without any issue on OC. It's the only way I could get DRM content to playback.

The still supported iMac 17,1 has Broadcom Wifi/BT. It's a BCM943602CDP card. Super expensive though. I'd guess that the drivers for the related BCM94360CD will remain in Monterey, we'll have to wait and see once the public beta lands in July.

See: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08428ZJV9/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

View attachment 521127

Good old OSXWIFI, they know how to make a profit!

Same Apple Broadcom card available to buy on Ebay US for around $40, so you'd just need a PCIe adapter.

:)

View attachment 521102

Apple dropped iMac14,2 support with the Big Sur announcement. Once again it makes no sense to drop support for the mid 2014 5K iMac15,1 and keep support for the ancient MP 6,1 and woefully underpowered 2014 Mac mini with a dual core laptop CPU. Why Apple ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Inquiring minds want to know.

I think Apple looks at the market and most likely the buyers of those 2014 5k imacs they want them to buy the new iMac 24".

Also the 2013 Mac Pro makes sense, it's such a niche product that is still being used in studios, so they'll support it. Most likely it will be dropped in macOS 13.

Really 30 mins while I cooked dinner does not seem to fit that narrative. Maybe when installing windows 95 from floppy disks.

Yes applying the update to a supported system is not time consuming, but checking that all your apps and plugins/extensions are compatible/waiting for them to be compatible can be extremely time consuming.

Eg mojave to Catalina was pretty brutal for audio pros

Yes applying the update to a supported system is not time consuming, but checking that all your apps and plugins/extensions are compatible/waiting for them to be compatible can be extremely time consuming.

Eg mojave to Catalina was pretty brutal for audio pros
Audio Pros do not normally update their OS until they get a new system. Really as an Audio Pro you can not even be sure things will not break between point releases. I hate that I am reliant on Autodesk and no one makes a better product for what I do... But I am thank full that I do not rely on Avid for my software when it comes to updates they are cancer.

Almost all the software I have is subscription (tax write off) so I am not normally concerned if something is going to break. However, a lot of stuff from Adobe was broken for Big Sur Beta but was totally fixed by release.

Really 30 mins while I cooked dinner does not seem to fit that narrative. Maybe when installing windows 95 from floppy disks.
If upgrading OS or installing a new OS is just a "30 minute job" to you in your narrative, then I congratulate you. Good for you.

I would say, even installing Windows 7 from a DVD would take more than 30 minutes even if you do nothing after installation, especially on older hardware without SSDs. I say this from previous experience.

For me, upgrading to a new OS or installing a new OS is a time-consuming job, as it is not just the OS installation itself. Even if the OS installation goes without incident (and that's a big if, particularly on older hardware), I have to make sure the OS itself runs correctly, try to adapt to any changes the OS presents, and that every application I use will work correctly on the new system.

In the case of VMware Fusion, for example, I will have to remove the older version, install the new version, configure it to my liking, and then make sure every one of the virtual machines (Windows 98 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8.1 / 10 in multiple language versions) still work correctly. It can't be done in "30 minutes", more like days.

Almost all the software I have is subscription (tax write off) so I am not normally concerned if something is going to break.

Unlike you, I cannot act like I am not concerned with whether something will break after an OS upgrade, and since it will take a long time for me to install and configure a new OS and the corresponding applications to my liking (and may have to wait for an application to be compatible), I am now very reluctant to do them, after Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina. In the case of Big Sur and Monterey I have decided that I won't do it at all.

To each their own, I guess. I would like to be in a position similar to you where I can do a quick OS upgrade and do not need to worry if "something is going to break", but I am not, and I don't use any of your applications (which may require OS upgrade to continue to work like the Adobe subscription apps), so my OS strategy has to be different from yours.

At least its not as bad as my 2006 'white' Macbook2,1. That unit officially only received 3 generations of OS updates from 10.4 Tiger to 10.7 Lion. It was capable of more but they weren't having it.
At least yours was better than my white MacBook1,1 which supported up to 10.6 only, with case cracks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back