Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2012 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Tricky part is finding memory that is on the Z77 Wifi compatibility list because if you want 16gb or more, the part numbers aren't listed that way, they're only listed in 8gb, and the 16gb kits have different part numbers, it's super annoying. I took the list down to Tigerdirect and ended up matching the part numbers as closely as I could with from an 8gb stick to a 16gb kit and thankfully I have had no issues so far. Only annoyance is that the memory wants to default to 1333 and has to be set to overclock to 1600Mhz. Ended up going with the Kingston Hyper X Blu memory, I think 16gb was $89 so I picked it up, it went on sale the next week so I went back and got $10.00 back as well.

Of note, the official buyers guide recommends Corsair Vengence LP memory, yet in the Z77 Wifi reviews section, Gigabyte themselves says do not use Low Power memory, and I'm guessing that's what LP means. Some other guy bought a different part number, but still LP memory, and the machine wouldn't recognize 8gb of the 16gb and Gigabyte said only use memory on the officially supported list as LP memory wasn't supported or tested.

Here's what I'm using on mine:

Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104302

Anyone got any ideas on how to make this thing sleep besides having to select the apple logo then sleep?

Mine auto-sleeps ok at the moment. I've had intermittent wake issues that I discussed earlier here. My last attempt was to create my own DSDT; so far it is still working well.

Many things can interfere with auto sleep, including software. Check with pmset -g assertions to see if you have processes preventing the system from going to sleep. If you have an optical drive, it may also be causing this. When pmset does not list any process and I don't know where to start, my preference is to go back to the bare-bones system I describe in post #436 (motherboard, cpu, ram, 1 hdd, usb keyboard and mouse, that's it), start with a clean installation, don't change anything in the system preferences except the go to sleep delay and see if sleep works (it should with this system). Then add 1 hw piece at a time, testing auto-sleep after each addition. Then install apps, ideally testing after each. For me, it's always been hardware-related and this process helped me figure which piece was causing issues.

If your computer goes to sleep automatically but seem to not wake up completely (i.e. powers on but screen remains blank), give it 5-10 minutes and see if in the end it wakes up fully. This is what I was referring to by "intermittent wake issues" - I'm not sure what makes it appear, but once it's there, it does not go away by itself. Again, making my own DSDT got rid of this - for now at least.

I'm going to format and start fresh. Any issues if I backup the data to a different partition on the same drive and just format the bootable partition of that drive? Would there be a reason too completely wipe the entire drive?

Project weekend! =)

Plot thickens:

No VT-d setting in the bios. Same bios/board as bitdoctor's Mac Pro Mini build. Manual says VT-d option only shows for processors that support VT-d. Does my 3570k not support that so that's why it's not listed?

Bitdoctor also had a boot problem very similar if not identical to my own until he disabled VT-d. But I can't, it's just not there.

Ideas? Should I still reformat/reinstall?

Hi

Just tried hackintosh in my new htpc which is this H77N-Wifi board, first time since those tiger day with EP45 chipset.

I read through this thread and would like to share my experience.

My build is I3225 with on board HD4000 in Lian Li Q-07 case. I used it to connect to LCD TV so I figured I'd use DSDT to enable Audio over HDMI. Downloded DSDT from DB and did what described in 1st page. Everything went smooth until restart. On next boot it went into Kernel Panic. Retried 2-3 times ended up in same Kernel Panic everytimes.

Figured out it happened when I checked ALC892 drivers in multibeast. Reinstalled and checked only Lan Drivers & Use DSDT & 1080p- customization. On next boot everything went good , Audio over HDMI was working. Only thing missing is other sound input / output not working since no ALC892 drivers was installed. Played with it or few hours and decided to messed thing up again.

Ran multibeast again with only ALC892 no DSDT checked. Reboot and no audio over hdmi but others inputs / outputs detected as expected. No kernel panic encountered.

Ran multibeast again with only ALC892 use DSDT checked. Reboot and same resulted. (expected)

Copy DSDT.aml in to /Extras & deleted /S/L/E HDAenabler1.kext . Reboot and no kernel panick encountered. And boom all sound input / output working now with Audio over HDMI as well. Everything looks good. Never use sleep so can't comment on that.

So maybe it'd help someone encountered the same Kernel Panic as mine (Mimova?)

Pics from build last night of my friend's setup, I had major problems with HDMI and my monitor. When I set it to 1080p force with Multibeast the picture would just scramble. In fact, anything other than default, the picture would scramble, and my TV Monitor will support all resolutions. I ended up having to reinstall and NOT select 1080p, but I still have no idea what will happen when he gets home and connects it to his display. When it would come up and display fine, I would change the resolution to even 720p and then the picture would scramble and I would have no way of restoring the picture from that point on.

20130124_192502.jpg20130124_192518.jpg20130124_192449.jpg20130124_192526.jpg20130124_192543.jpg

LNX Ethernet drivers - Repeated on several systems, the driver won't get an IP address via DHCP if you disconnect and reconnect it, even if you try to renew lease. The only thing that works is a reboot.

Ethernet drivers, I know what are you talking about. It also happens when you turn on the pc first, and then turn on the router.
Only solution so far (faster than rebooting) is to put the mac on sleep and wake up.

Anyone got any ideas on how to make this thing sleep besides having to select the apple logo then sleep?

Autosleep works pretty well with the PleaseSleep utility. Not an ideal solutions, but it works.
Also, I have found a workaround for the 3-5 sec USB mouse/keyboard delay after wakeup, but it's not nice either.

Back